Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clutch or Power wheelie for a litre sportsbike?

Options
  • 19-09-2016 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭

What suits you best for 1st and 2nd gear wheelies on the big bikes?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭GavPJ

What suits you best for 1st and 2nd gear wheelies on the big bikes?:)

Clutch it up in 2nd for a smoother rise.

You could whack the throttle up in 1st without the clutch but it will come up too vicious and you'll scare the bollox out of yerself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

like so :

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,277 ✭✭✭✭blade1

As said already clutch and second gear.
    Do it a lot and clutch friction plates will end up in pieces (literally)
    Clutch wheelie feels better.
    No need to change gear either.
    When your balance gets really good you can go for ages in second gear, even go around bends,overtake cars and go well over 100mph.:pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I really want to learn how to do this.. But the last thing I want is to hit the deck. How likely is this or is it safe enough?

Zascar wrote: »
    I really want to learn how to do this.. But the last thing I want is to hit the deck. How likely is this or is it safe enough?

It's quite possible you'll hit the deck at some stage!
    If you're thinking about coming off while doing them you're not 100% focused.

Although, might be more of a risk of coming off when you get used to doing them as you would be doing bigger, longer, faster and more upright ones than starting off.
    Complacency can be a factor too.

I see people now and again recommending hitting a certain revs before dumping the clutch.
    I would not recommend that!
    Just keep your concentration for the actual wheelie and start small and increase by feel and how comfortable you are doing them.

1 litre inline 4's are excellent for them as starting out the big long powerband means the throttle does most of the work and a fairly decent length wheelie can be achieved without having to balance the bike.
    When your balance improves, the less throttle you need to go further as the bike will be on the balance point and a touch of throttle will keep you going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Zascar wrote: »

Ya should have come up when you got the invite :P

But hey, personally I think anyone with a nice bike is mad wanting to use it for wheelies.

Buy a cheap bike, under a grand. And learn on that, although I've only ever come off once doing a wheelie on the road I've seen lads bin their pride & joy and its tragic.

Hitting the balance point is hit, its hard just getting the balls to go up that far ~ indeed most beginners sh*t themselves when the wheel is only 2 or 3 inches off the ground and they'll swear blind that they were skywards.

The best way I can describe the balance point is you know when you lean back in a chair and you hit that point where you can tip backwards or drop it forwards back onto all four legs?.. Well the balance point feels a lot like that but with more control.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Definitely! You were kind enough to invite me I should have come up. Maybe another time?

That's the thing you can have plenty of fun way before you get to the balance point, I'd be happy if I could easily get the nose up for a few second - you can work on the show off stuff later on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

But hey, personally I think anyone with a nice bike is mad wanting to use it for wheelies.

Buy a cheap bike, under a grand. And learn on that, although I've only ever come off once doing a wheelie on the road I've seen lads bin their pride & joy and its tragic.

Hitting the balance point is hit, its hard just getting the balls to go up that far ~ indeed most beginners sh*t themselves when the wheel is only 2 or 3 inches off the ground and they'll swear blind that they were skywards.

The best way I can describe the balance point is you know when you lean back in a chair and you hit that point where you can tip backwards or drop it forwards back onto all four legs?.. Well the balance point feels a lot like that but with more control.

When are you out on the bike next?:)

I'm on a Vstrom DL650 now, ain't wringing the neck of that little yoke to wheelie it.

I'm actually finding it harder to wheelie smaller bikes now. My son has a DRZ400, now I've only been on it twice but I thought I'd be wheeling it straight away & I couldn't!!.. Its just so much easier to wheelie a litre bike :o

I miss having power.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

Early nineties, fzr1000 exup, 50/60mph in first gear, could go for a nice bit too lol ye feckers making me want to get a sportsbike again :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

gctest50 wrote: »
    like so :

Crazy girl does motorcycle stunts on St. Louis streets 2015
    Her technique is interesting. At no point is she anywhere near the front or back brake, and she appears to have insufficient mass to correct an overwheelie using her weight.

More instructive are the Youtube fail videos where the bike ends up rolling itself into a crumpled cylinder leaving behind a wake of broken metal and plastic and a disappointed dude in a bloodied t-shirt and shorts.

Boards.ie Wheelie Class Meetup perhaps?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Lumen wrote: »
    Her technique is interesting. At no point is she anywhere near the front or back brake, and she appears to have insufficient mass to correct an overwheelie using her weight.

I can't see from the video, but she may well have a rear brake lever on the handlebars. Its an easy mod for stunting.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I can't see from the video, but she may well have a rear brake lever on the handlebars. Its an easy mod for stunting.

I didn't look at the video but I don't know a stunter who hasn't got a rear brake level alongside the clutch.

***Just looked, she's got a rear brake lever on the bar

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭bladespin

Lumen wrote:

Prob a stunt bike with a thumb rear brake, front brake theory is interesting but can't see how it would work.
    Btw mass is not so important if you're on the balance point, the slightest push is all it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Top Gear test track 2 weeks ago in the pi55ing rain.

No working.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Since youve been on holidays photobucket no longer allows you to hotlink to forums etc unless you bend over and pay sill money for their yearly fee. You'll have to use Imgur or similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Lumen wrote: »
    where the bike ends up rolling itself into a crumpled cylinder leaving behind a wake of broken metal and plastic and a disappointed dude in a bloodied t-shirt and shorts.

LOL, great description, saw exactly that 30 years ago with a guy on a Suzuki X7 on the Friday night meet on Chelsea bridge, London.... he got a good clap though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

You're wasting your time on Photobucket, use Imgur instead.

• Advertisement

Started out on quad bikes learning to wheelie,then after 2 hours,we went onto Fazer and Bandit 600 bikes for 3 hours and learning hot to clutch wheelie and power wheelie,also the use of body positioning to get the weight over the back wheel and the foot hovering over the rear brake.
    Then for the last hour and a half we could use our own bikes.

It was a great but very wet day out at the Top Gear test track at Dunsfold,with myself and another chap wheelieing down the track in a full on thunderstorm.

few pics.

few pics.

Not quite the 12 o clock club yet stewey!!;)

blade1 wrote: »
    Not quite the 12 o clock club yet stewey!!;)

Ah sure god lover a trier eh?.:P

Ah sure god lover a trier eh?.:P

You'll get there.
    One day out of the blue, you'll land in the sweet spot and from then on it'll be effortless.
    The balance point will just come natural and it will take less work to keep the going further on one wheel.

Bikes these days are mad anyway.
    I had a cut off a KTM sm690 a few weeks ago and the thing was so easy to wheelie.
    Just a slight slip of the clutch and a touch of throttle in second gear at around 30mph and it's straight up.
    My Mastiff wouldn't do that in a fit!!!!

Guess who went back to the Top Gear Track again.

Look ma,no hands....lol

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Love the dent on the tank of that Yahama. Did you do that? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

That wheelie bar is interesting, beyond a certain point it starts to drag the rear brake is that the idea?

Deadly. Was that a specific course, who ran it?

• Advertisement

The wheelie bar is linked to the engine and spark plugs. If you hit the sensors off the tarmac then the bikes power is cut for a second,so you dont flip it.

But the power then kicks back in so you can maintain the wheelie and learn how to chase the wheelie.

The idea is not to hit the sensors off the tarmac and you chase the wheelie yourself.

Coarse is run by a company called Stunt Asylum. They do stoppie,drifting and wheelie schools. Its great craic,seriously addictive.

Oh and no i didnt dent any of the bikes....lol

Advertisement