Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Organic hen keeping

• 18-09-2016 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

We are thinking about getting 3 hens. I would like to keep them organic. Any tips for worming/preventing red mites but not using nasty chemicals? Thanks.

Also could you tell me the basics we would need? Am thinking coop,feeder,water container and organic layer pellets.

Then maybe an old tyre for a dustbath, grit, rolled barley ....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

If you do a boards search on chicken or hen keeping you will find all the answers to most of your questions already covered a number of times. Then come back with specifics.. saves covering well trod ground..:)

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

We are thinking about getting 3 hens. I would like to keep them organic. Any tips for worming/preventing red mites but not using nasty chemicals? Thanks.

Also could you tell me the basics we would need? Am thinking coop,feeder,water container and organic layer pellets.

Then maybe an old tyre for a dustbath, grit, rolled barley ....

Vermex is a herbal type wormer available over the counter.
    Diatomaceous earth will help control red mites.

I think you've the basics covered. I'd be a fan of a low stocking density, I think when you start to stack em high you can run into all sort of issues, but with 3 hens this ain't gonna be a problem, but give them plenty of room just the same.
    I know you can buy organic feed, I don't use it but it's available. I'm sure you can get organic rolled barley too, again I don't bother.
    You didn't mention anything about predators in your post. Your foul will need to be protected from the usual suspects, fox, mink, pine martens.
    Any other questions just post away there's some very experienced poultry keepers hanging around here ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Diatom Earth is the hen-keepers saviour!
    Ive used it for years - both in the hens food for internal parasites, in their dust baths for external baddies, and in the coop to protect against my nemesis Red Mite!

Cider vinegar (using a 'mother') is a great add for organic hen keepers, as is garlic in drinking water.

Organic pellets are available, as already mentioned. I used to source organic oats but never did source any other organic grains. Check out Smallholder brand and Fancy Feed brands of pellets and grains. Also, and Irish companies:

http://robinsglen.ie/
    https://www.farmfowl.com/organic-layers-pellets/

Vermex I dont have much confidence in, as a wormer, but if you are going organic, that will rule out Flubenvet which I always use, as I reckon worms are worse than the chemicals :o

Heres a thread on vermex:

http://www.irishfowl.com/talk/topic-2452.html?c=6

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

Thank you Gengis and Aonb. Great to have somewhere to start. I have read a lot of threads here and other sites but I was afraid I was still missing something but I think I have all bases covered now. Very excited!

OP where are you located - are foxes going to be an issue?
    Consider your coop safety and run safety if theres a possibility of foxes

Also, consider carefully where you locate your coop - dont put it in a too shady area, or a windy/draughty area etc

Will your hens free range?

Lovely to be starting fresh - look on the animals and pets forum, there are some photos and great tips in this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057587627

• Advertisement

aonb wrote: »
    OP where are you located - are foxes going to be an issue?
    Consider your coop safety and run safety if theres a possibility of foxes

Also, consider carefully where you locate your coop - dont put it in a too shady area, or a windy/draughty area etc

Will your hens free range?

Lovely to be starting fresh - look on the animals and pets forum, there are some photos and great tips in this thread:
    Thanks!

We have ordered a custom built strong wooden coop that can move around. It's pretty big and we will only have 3-4 hens in it. They will free range on an acre of garden too. Need to clear that with the dog ;) We are in the countryside so I'm sure there are predators even though we haven't seen them. They will free range when someone is home and (most days all day). They will be locked in at night so no danger at night.

Thanks!

We have ordered a custom built strong wooden coop that can move around. It's pretty big and we will only have 3-4 hens in it. They will free range on an acre of garden too. Need to clear that with the dog ;) We are in the countryside so I'm sure there are predators even though we haven't seen them. They will free range when someone is home and (most days all day). They will be locked in at night so no danger at night.

It'd be no harm running a couple of strands of electric fence around the perimeter of the acre. When foxes are rearing cubs and when the cubs are turfed out to make their own way in the world they can hunt during the day.
    I'm getting very concerned about Pine Martens too but that's another story.
    Have you given any thought to the breed of hen you'll get? There's some lovely ones out there, if you're only getting a few why not get a few coloured ones!
    Good luck with your new little enterprise, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Thanks!

You can be sure there are predators if in the countryside!
    Ive had a hen taken through a fence of sheepwire by a fox, while I was sitting in the garden within sight one day! Ive seen a fox circle my neighbours run when I was coming home from a walk one morning! so you need to be conscious that foxes, if you have a local population, will come looking. I sound totally alarmist here too, but a fox ate the bottom off another neighbours door to get into the hens in the coop overnight :eek: So I would consider putting some sort of a small run around the coop as a deterrent if you can.
    As for the dog vs hens - my terriers soon learned that the hens were out of bounds - dog on leash for the first few days when its allowed outside with the hens to assess the dogs reaction!

It'd be no harm running a couple of strands of electric fence around the perimeter of the acre. When foxes are rearing cubs and when the cubs are turfed out to make their own way in the world they can hunt during the day.
    I'm getting very concerned about Pine Martens too but that's another story.
    Have you given any thought to the breed of hen you'll get? There's some lovely ones out there, if you're only getting a few why not get a few coloured ones!
    Good luck with your new little enterprise, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
    We are taking ones that a friend is rehoming so bog standard Rhode Islands but hoping to expand the operation next year!

aonb wrote: »
    You can be sure there are predators if in the countryside!
    Ive had a hen taken through a fence of sheepwire by a fox, while I was sitting in the garden within sight one day! Ive seen a fox circle my neighbours run when I was coming home from a walk one morning! so you need to be conscious that foxes, if you have a local population, will come looking. I sound totally alarmist here too, but a fox ate the bottom off another neighbours door to get into the hens in the coop overnight :eek: So I would consider putting some sort of a small run around the coop as a deterrent if you can.
    As for the dog vs hens - my terriers soon learned that the hens were out of bounds - dog on leash for the first few days when its allowed outside with the hens to assess the dogs reaction!

Wow that's surprised me. Thanks for heads up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭geros29

Most hens that you purchase nowadays come wormed.organic standards allow 1 worming a year AFAIK on animal welfare grounds.if you do worm do it in mid winter when they're not laying.should be well out of their system come dpring.as another poster said if stocking density is low you won't need to worm.good luck with them.it's a joy to collect your own eggs daily.use Pedigree organic layers here and find it good.15.50 a bag though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We are taking ones that a friend is rehoming so bog standard Rhode Islands but hoping to expand the operation next year!
    :eek::eek::eek:
    No such thing as bog standard RIR's. Most people confuse red feathered fowl with RIR. RIR is a recognised pure breed whereas your standard red hen is a commercial hybrid laying machine which will outlay any pure-bred.
    I would recommend that you buy "Choosing and Keeping Chickens" by Chris Graham. It is a handy book that covers the basics of poultry keeping and includes a brief description of the more popular breeds.
    https://www.amazon.com/Choosing-Keeping-Chickens-Chris-Graham/dp/075371552X

To illustrate the difference:
    1st pic are pure bred Rhode Island Reds.
    2nd is a commercial hybrid.

Base price wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:
    No such thing as bog standard RIR's. Most people confuse red feathered fowl with RIR. RIR is a recognised pure breed whereas your standard red hen is a commercial hybrid laying machine which will outlay any pure-bred.
    I would recommend that you buy "Choosing and Keeping Chickens" by Chris Graham. It is a handy book that covers the basics of poultry keeping and includes a brief description of the more popular breeds.
    https://www.amazon.com/Choosing-Keeping-Chickens-Chris-Graham/dp/075371552X

I have that very book in my collection here. It's light reading but full of all the basics and very well illustrated.
    The RIR are probably one the the most iconic hen breeds. So many of the hybrids or crossbreeds are based on RIR.
    I put eggs under a hen a while back, 6 weeks ago, cos the chicks are 3 weeks now. I had a few of several breed Inc Campine, Barnevelder and RIR. But no Rhodeisland chick. Maybe the next time!

Have our hens a few weeks. They are doing great. Just wondering with the weather turning colder should I do anything different? Anything I've googled brings up American websites where the temperature is -20 degrees so not exactly comparable.

dont need do anything in ireland for hens - they carry their duvets around with them :P Hens do better in cool weather than hot - not that we get that hot too often.

I would just recommend that your coop is as draught free as possible - draughts are very bad for hens! :P When the weather turns cold, I always give the hens a bit of warm mash morning and evening - just add hot water to a dish of pellets, let it steep - they usually like it (hens are bloody fussy!) I also give them a small amount of mixed corn before they go into the coops (now that they LOVE!) - it stays in their crops longer, and has a 'heating' effect.

You will need to check that their water hasnt frozen overnight. I usually put their water thingies in a shed overnight, and if very cold, bring a kettle of water out with me, in the mornings, to defrost any water. Make sure to bring in any hoppers/food overnight - it will attract hungry rats/vermin even more than usual. Ditto collect your eggs early/quickly - Ive had incidents of rats and magpies stealing eggs in the winter!

If you can there should be a sheltered area from the rain - hens hate being wet.

The only other thing is that if it does get very very cold, keep an eye on their combs - might need to smear some vaseline on there... (the year it was -16 and snow for weeks, I went through a tub of the stuff!)
    Have they moulted? There might be a bit of stupid moulting going on - my hens always seem to wait til the cold weather to drop feathers :mad: You should feed them up a bit on protein to encourage feathers if that happens!

Enjoy your new hens!

You can feed them some tuna in sunflower oil or spring water if it gets very cold or if as aonb said some are going through a partial moult. Do not feed them tuna in brine as poultry cannot deal with salt.
    Also check them out for mites. As winter progresses mites can become an issue especially red mite which you will find in their coop on roost bars at night time with the aid of a flash lamp. A severe infestation of mites can quickly diminish a hens immune system.

Advertisement