Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pound shop goods

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pound shop goods fall in to several categories.

A - brand name goods, but in smaller sizes. They aren't cheaper, and may even be more expensive per Kg , but smaller sizes may be handier.

B - clearances , genuine bargains if you can snap them up before they are gone
    like the odd decent Blu-Ray in Dealz

c - pile high , sell low, decent stuff without a humongous mark up
    cheap and chearful, acceptable quality but won't be heirlooms
    the trick is to ID this stuff

d - crap to be avoided. There's lots of this. Lots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

PandaPoo wrote: »
    Who cares about best before dates? It's not like they sell meat!

I know but when some people see the best before is passed they freak and think that it will kill them if they eat it so they throw it out and go buy more....think that's what Mr Price are counting on.

I have plenty of stuff in my presses that's past it date but they'll still be eaten. A use by date is more serious but a best before is only advising that the quality it at its best before the date. With some foods, all you'll notice is a slight difference in taste but mostly they're fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I don't tend to buy much in places like Dealz etc other than toiletries. Big-brand deodorants, shower gel, shampoo/conditioner, toothpaste...all €1.50 each? Sure why wouldn't you.

dealz is ok, cheap led lightbulbs for security lights, toiletries, some of the batteries are actually ok (not the ones where you get 12 for 1.50 obviously), toffifiee sweets, some garden stuff, a few plates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Dealz is great for arts and crafts stuff for the kids. Paper, glue, pom poms, lollypop sticks etc. The pencils aren't worth a **** as the lead in them is usually all broken so they keep breaking as they're pared down but the markers (20 in a box for €1.50) are brilliant. Envelopes and stuff too are great. Love the 6 packs of Scampi and Bacon fries for 1.50 sure you can barely buy one pack of scampi fries for that price in a normal shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I have to say, I do love Dealz.
    My other half is a sucker for pork scratchings and Dealz sells a 6-pack for €1.50.

I sometimes pick up the 6-pack of Scampi Fries and Bacon Fries. Up until Dealz started stocking them, I'd never seen a 6pack on sale anywhere.

Great also for the big 240 box of Lyons tea for €6, cereal bars, Cadbury Shortcake biscuits (too dangerously nice), Pringles always €2...
    I could go on but you get the gist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Oh yeah and I always pick up toothpaste and shaving gel there too.
    They've lots of different toothpastes, all only €1.50; all the same size as the ones they sell in the supermarkets, so they're not doing you.
    The Gillette shaving gel is only €1.50 and I saw the same one in Tesco recently for nearly €3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Well I don't go to pound shop unless I'm in UK Land.
    I use Euro2, Dealz & MrPrice regularly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I await the day when every main Street in ireland is tenanted exclusively by Dealz shops up one side and Starbucks down the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The last ONS I had was with a Swedish girl / woman I met in Dealz on Talbot St. I was minding my own business wondering could I really eat a four foot Toblerone when she came up alongside and asked me "Is everything in here really only one euro and fifty cent?". I said 'Yes' but I lied as she got me for free. True story.

Don't bother going there and hoping it will happen to you. I have gone back there every night since and turns out it was a fluke.

• Advertisement

Sorry to go a bit off topic, since this is an Aldi example not a Pound Shop one, but the thread reminded me that a friend and I were in Aldi last night buying drink to take to a party. My friend and I decided the safest thing to buy would be cider, which it turns out is INCREDIBLY CHEAP in Aldi. It' like a fiver for four cans.

NEXT thing, Poirot here notices that you can buy a 2-litre plastic bottle of same nasty cider for €3.59! My friend was horrified as I walked to the check-out with my 2 x 2 litre bottles of vagabond gut-rot, but it was actually not bad at all. It tasted better than Bulmers (which I'm aware is a low starting point). for the more sophisticated palate, they also do a 2-litre bottle of Pear Cider, but I didn't try that yet.

For about the price of a pint (in some Dublin hostelries), you can get absolutely swivel-eyed in Aldi. I can't believe the value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

what the heck do ye expect for two Euro???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Always go to the Euro stores for my sugar fix, fcuk paying €1.20 for a chocolate bar in Spar or Centra when you can get 3 of them for 1.50, bargain of the month, the white chocolate Lion bar, fecking gorgeous and included in that 3 for 1.50 deal.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Always go to the Euro stores for my sugar fix, fcuk paying €1.20 for a chocolate bar in Spar or Centra when you can get 3 of them for 1.50, bargain of the month, the white chocolate Lion bar, fecking gorgeous and included in that 3 for 1.50 deal.

You can get 3 bars for 1.50 in the local whereas in petrol stations and supermarkets you'd get only one for 1 something.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭BoobeR

I buy the small cans of WD40 in there, cheap enough and a handy little size for keeping in your glovebox. Other stuff like cleaning wipes, floor cleaner, Also things like if you needed a handful of screws or nails, nails are nails generally. Anything that's not very complicated I'd buy in there. Stuff like spanners and sandpaper though - don't bother. Oh also the teak oil for wood restored a lovely teak table I sanded down and now have in my hallway. Would have cost me around 5x the price in Telfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The retractible chargers for Iphone and Kindle are the absolute business. I know (wink) I buy them by the bucketload and they work great. That would be in Dealz.

Retractibles are brilliant for travelling have to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I got some tupperware in there for storing my food. I also got some cleaning stuff for the pc which worked well. Avoid their electronics.

Advertisement