Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caffe Nero

Options
  • 17-09-2016 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Caffe Nero are looking for a store manager for a new store opening in Kilkenny!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Caffe Nero are looking for a store manager for a new store opening in Kilkenny!

Dont mind me asking but where is it opening ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Comerman

Any part time work for a hard working student????????

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Anonstudent123

Comerman wrote: »
    Any part time work for a hard working student????????

At the moment they only have a store manager position posted but I'm assuming there'll be baristas and waiters also needed! Skechers are opening a store in Kilkenny too so you should keep an eye out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Comerman

At the moment they only have a store manager position posted but I'm assuming there'll be baristas and waiters also needed! Skechers are opening a store in Kilkenny too so you should keep an eye out!
    Cheers. P.S where do you get this info????;)

• Advertisement

Comerman wrote: »
    Cheers. P.S where do you get this info????;)

I got the Information from Indeed, Skechers have posted a Store manager position available for a new store opening in Kilkenny and the same with Caffe Nero and both of those advertisements were found on Indeed 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Plenty of vacant units in the Market Cross and Macdonagh Junction you'd imagine they'd go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

road_high wrote: »
    Plenty of vacant units in the Market Cross and Macdonagh Junction you'd imagine they'd go there.
    Plenty of vacant units on high street or any street too...

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Plenty of vacant units on high street or any street too...

True but the problem for many businesses is the premises available are often very small and very expensive. Off hand is there maybe two or three vacant units on High st now? Where Sony Centre was and a unit beside the Post Office maybe and Dores. Market Cross is the worst I think, maybe half a dozen empty- think Superquinn was big loss there as the Super Valu store is in no way on the same level and I used shop there frequently.

Looks like Insomnia Coffee are taking two units in Market Cross;
    http://planning.kilkennycoco.ie/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=16522&LASiteID=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Costa, Starbucks, Caffe Nero and now Insomnia. Kilkenny certainly seems to be a buoyant coffee market for the big chains!

ongarboy wrote: »
    Costa, Starbucks, Caffe Nero and now Insomnia. Kilkenny certainly seems to be a buoyant coffee market for the big chains!

Place is full of tourists and daytrippers. Perfect for these little businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

ongarboy wrote: »

Place is full of tourists and daytrippers. Perfect for these little businesses.

The smallest of these has 120+ stores and 13.3 Million in revenue in 2008, little businesses indeed.

The smallest of these has 120+ stores and 13.3 Million in revenue in 2008, little businesses indeed.

I meant physically ie the small coffee shops. I realise Starbucks is a huge multinational

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I'm glad anything is going into Market Cross, way too many empties.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

catbear wrote: »
    I'm glad anything is going into Market Cross, way too many empties.

It looks as though it may be held up for some time as the request for permission has gone to An B rd Plean la.

http://kclr96fm.com/work-new-insomnia-cafe-kilkenny-ordered-stop/

It looks as though it may be held up for some time as the request for permission has gone to An B rd Plean la.

http://kclr96fm.com/work-new-insomnia-cafe -kilkenny-ordered-stop/

What a load of rubbish. WTF does this Helen Clark think she is? The market should decide not her obvious grab at protectionism. Last time I'll bother gracing her door again, selfish cow.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What a load of rubbish. WTF does this Helen Clark think she is? The market should decide not her obvious grab at protectionism. Last time I'll bother gracing her door again, selfish cow.

I think she cares little about the types of shops and more about protecting her business,

Coffee shops are all about supply and demand, if the market is saturated like she claims then a coffee shop or two will go out of business. My guess is she's worried it'll be her rather then anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Cabaal wrote: »
    I think she cares little about the types of shops and more about protecting her business,

Coffee shops are all about supply and demand, if the market is saturated like she claims then a coffee shop or two will go out of business. My guess is she's worried it'll be her rather then anyone else.
    Good cafe's will survive...the bad ones won't...wasn't impressed with the fig...

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Good cafe's will survive...the bad ones won't...wasn't impressed with the fig...

It's OK. Very pokey though. And prices on the high side...little wonder she's terrified of a little competition.
    Small wonder I do most of my shopping between Carlow, Dublin and Kildare...Kilkenny is not competitive for me.

• Advertisement

Yeah, figs coffee is so so plus they don't seem to have in-house free wifi which is pretty standard in the chains. They link you to some eircom service that you have to sign up to. Dafuk with that.

catbear wrote: »
    Yeah, figs coffee is so so plus they don't seem to have in-house free which is pretty standard in the chains. They link you to some eircom service that you ha e to sign up to. Dafuk with that.

I hate this blatant protectionism that's rampant in Kilkenny retailing. Their arrogance tends to know no bounds, and the attitude is hell bent on keeping out all competition at any cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

Ah here, that's uncalled for. All I can do is give you my knowledge of Helen. Our staff get the occasional salads/wraps/scones in to the canteen every now and then, and we've got food from The FIg Tree a handful of times. I met her husband one day in our place and enquired about catering. He phoned me with the price and was very obliging and said that his wife would ring closer to the delivery date. We were looking for scones/wraps/sandwiches for a Sunday morning at ten o clock following a month's mind Mass. Helen did a reci run to our house the day before, making sure she had the correct place. She could not have been any nicer, obliging and professional. When we arrived home after Mass, Helen had beautiful presentation of food/wrap/sandwiches for us, scones with jam and cream plus butter plated and placed on the different tables in the house, had the kettles/burco ready. Now that's what you call service.
    Btw,I have no affiliation with her but would love to see them do well and couldn't recommend them high enough. This is a local coffee shop producing local quality food and providing a fantastic service, creating many jobs and God only knows what kind of rent they're paying in that premises on High St.
    Call me a sceptic, but I couldn't imagine one of these big coffee chains/conglomerates providing that same service? And I do agree with Helen, we have something unique in Kilkenny. I hate seeing all these shops popping up everywhere like the Boots/Argos/Subway etc that you can get in any city in any place in the world. I'd much prefer to support local businesses.
    Sorry for the long reply......I'm starting to sound like Foxy in my old age!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

phkk wrote: »
    I hate seeing all these shops popping up everywhere like the Boots/Argos/Subway etc that you can get in any city in any place in the world. I'd much prefer to support local businesses.

This line made me chuckle, how many times have I read here that we're the only county in Ireland without a Tesco, like we're the uncle who wasn't invited to the wedding.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

phkk wrote: »
    . This is a local coffee shop producing local quality food and providing a fantastic service, creating many jobs and God only knows what kind of rent they're paying in that premises on High St.
    Call me a sceptic, but I couldn't imagine one of these big coffee chains/conglomerates providing that same service? Sorry for the long reply......I'm starting to sound like Foxy in my old age!!!

I always wonder about people and references to the locality with regard to coffee shops - they realise coffee is not grown here, and very very rarely roasted " locally". And she says Insomnia are already there - equating a concession in a grocery store is not quite accurate.
    I am sure there is a saturation limit for how many coffee shops can co exist - but does the market not rule that.

Often in my travels I would opt for the local enterprise, only to regret it due to the cost or quality. other timers you find little treasure - I really think it is rich to object to another coffee outlet - there are so many I doubt one would tip the balance ( unless they are super and if so they deserve it) I am more surprised Kilkenny Café did not object

Often in my travels I would opt for the local enterprise, only to regret it due to the cost or quality.
    When in Italy always ask a cop where to get coffee, you're guaranteed to get great coffee and food for half what the average outsider pays.

On your point about coffee being from elsewhere it's still equally important that for chains and independents what coffee they buy. The truth is though non chain outlets aren't making enough of the variety of beans available. The first shop that offers that variety will make an absolute killing on the local market, the chains can have the tourist.

Insomnia are Irish owned and Bobby Kerr is from Kilkenny and is always promoting the place. Ms Clarke's objections are rooted in protecting her own business which is understandable but certainly not laudable and should not be entertained. It's great to see empty units fill up, sounds like she'd rather they stay empty though so long as she doesn't have to face a little competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Insomnia are Irish owned and Bobby Kerr is from Kilkenny and is always promoting the place. Ms Clarke's objections are rooted in protecting her own business which is understandable but certainly not laudable and should not be entertained. It's great to see empty units fill up, sounds like she'd rather they stay empty though so long as she doesn't have to face a little competition.

Fully agree and I dont find the selection of coffee places particulaty good in Kilkenny, all cafes that only do the smaller sized cups.

Insomnia do great coffee, much prefer it to Starbucks (if forced to choose), it's Irish owned and you can get a large coffee and pastry for €3.50 (I think). The objection is a distraction but it will not be successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Fully agree and I dont find the selection of coffee places particulaty good in Kilkenny, all cafes that only do the smaller sized cups.

Insomnia do great coffee, much prefer it to Starbucks (if forced to choose), it's Irish owned and you can get a large coffee and pastry for €3.50 (I think). The objection is a distraction but it will not be successful.

You would die down south in itlely a small in Ireland is a extra large there ;).

It's a expresso and a shot of sambuca for 3.50 ha.

• Advertisement

Was down the Market cross the other day and sure enough this unit/s is all papered over and nothing going on since. Looks like St. What'shername from the Fig Tree has succeeded in protecting herself from competition for another while ;)

Advertisement