Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading from HDD (2 TB) to SSD (120GB upwards)

Options
  • 17-09-2016 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am having some issues with my laptop. I suspect that the hard drive is the problem. It is a HP ENVY x360 15-w050sa.

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-5200U with Intel HD Graphics 5500 (2.2 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores)
    Processor family: Intel® Core™ i5 processor
    Memory: 8 GB DDR3L-1600 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
    Storage: 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA (TOSHIBA MQ02ABF100)
    Video: Intel HD Graphics 5500

Although the laptop is just over 1 year old, I want to replace the HDD with an SSD and use the HDD as an external backup for my pc and other devices. The one thing I am having trouble with is picking an SSD. I can spend up to about €90 and have been using pricespy.ie but I don't know what a lot of the stuff in the filters mean. I am looking to maximise speed at an affordable price. Something that will last for as many years as I can get out of it. I am not a big data user and don't do gaming but I have no patience! The biggest problem I am finding is programmes and windows explorer stop responding for a moment and then work as normal. Really just a bit overwhelmed by the selection of specifications etc. on pricespy. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Also out of curiosity, what would my pc be worth now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-inch-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B00P736UEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474121591&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+evo+850+250gb

I'v been using the above Samsung EVO 850 250GB as my boot drive for my main PC and it flies along. I reckon you will need to keep an eye on drive space seeing as your coming from a 2TB drive tho but sticking a good SSD in a laptop will really make it motor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Venom wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-inch-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B00P736UEU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474121591&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+evo+850+250gb

I'v been using the above Samsung EVO 850 250GB as my boot drive for my main PC and it flies along. I reckon you will need to keep an eye on drive space coming seeing as your coming from a 2TB drive tho but sticking a good SSD in a laptop will really make it motor.

Same. I replaced the disk drive with my old HDD and use it for all media files, helps keep plenty of space on the SSD

Space is not a problem anyway. Only using 80GB including all files and the OS :D. Thanks for your help!

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Same. I replaced the disk drive with my old HDD and use it for all media files, helps keep plenty of space on the SSD

A new GPU and SSD always offers the best bang for buck when upgrading a PC imho.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking of doing a clean install of windows 10. What steps would I do to take this? I downloaded Windows 10 last year and used the media creation tool to put it on a USB. Can I do it from that and would my license still be in place when I do/if I can?

daraghwal wrote: »
    Space is not a problem anyway. Only using 80GB including all files and the OS :D. Thanks for your help!

I felt the same way but and its a big but, most program installs tend to default to the C: drive and when your used to having a massive amount of space on the OS drive, ya gets lazy when picking where it goes :)

A new GPU and SSD always offers the best bang for buck when upgrading a PC imho.

Would a new GPU make any difference to me when I don't really do much graphics wise? Microsoft Office and converting jpg to pdf books and opening a huge amount of tabs in chrome seem to be the most intensive things I do with my pc. Might watch the odd bit of netflix but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

think samsungs offer 3 yr warranty on their ssd drives,pick any evo you can afford and youll be set.As mentioned space might become issue,so 250gb is worth amount for foreseeable future and good investment in general.

Putting ssd in any laptops specially i5 will be massive performance improvement.

you cant fit gpu into laptop - and for what its worth gpu isnt worth money investing into if doing word excel stuff thats cpu intensive more,and i5 is more then enough for such tasks.

I felt the same way but and its a big but, most program installs tend to default to the C: drive and when your used to having a massive amount of space on the OS drive, ya gets lazy when picking where it goes :)

My entire library of files comes to just 20GB and 80GB including Windows 10 and every programme on my pc.

• Advertisement

scamalert wrote: »
    think samsungs offer 3 yr warranty on their ssd drives,pick any evo you can afford and youll be set.As mentioned space might become issue,so 250gb is worth amount for foreseeable future and good investment in general.

Putting ssd in any laptops specially i5 will be massive performance improvement.

Thanks, can I ask why especially i5? Never upgraded a pc berfore!

Buy from amazon or overclockers, costs slightly more but double the hard drive space. If 120 GB is all you need then get that one from either of the above just not an Irish brick and mortar shop. Remember tho, you will need to format the SSD to install windows and that will lose you 10-15% of its size.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

You're hard set on a 120Gb SSD. Future proof, get the 256Gb for the few extra €€, it'll save you time, effort and probably money in the long run.

Buy from amazon or overclockers, costs slightly more but double the hard drive space. If 120 GB is all you need then get that one from either of the above just not an Irish brick and mortar shop. Remember tho, you will need to format the SSD to install windows and that will lose you 10-15% of its size.

Sorry for all the questions, new to the whole upgrading business. Why not an irish brick and mortar shop? And do you mean SSD is good especially for i5 because the HDD is holding it back?

Sorry for all the questions, new to the whole upgrading business. Why not an irish brick and mortar shop? And do you mean SSD is good especially for i5 because the HDD is holding it back?

Irish brick and mortars along with some e-tailers (Elara) will charge you alot more for what you can get the same product for online from the likes of Amazon and Overclockers. It's nothing to do with the i5, just SSD'd are stupidly fast compared to mechanical HD's.

Do I need to buy any additional connectors etc. to do a clean install of Windows 10 from the USB Media to the new SSD? What are the steps I have to take to install both the SSD and the OS onto the SSD? And get my laptop up and running again? Also is this device alright for the old hard drive? http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2-5-External-SATA-Data-Caddy-Hard-Disk-Drive-Enclosure-Case-to-USB-3-0-Win-10-/261712285648?hash=item3cef448fd0:g:~wUAAOSwUdlWd76R
    Thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

You wont be able to upgrade to windows 10 now with that usb.Your existing os had to be upgraded by the end of july for the free upgrade.And I would agree with other posts,you should get a 250gb/256gb ssd as a minimum.Take a look on adverts,amazon and memoryc.ie

Do I need to buy any additional connectors etc. to do a clean install of Windows 10 from the USB Media to the new SSD? What are the steps I have to take to install both the SSD and the OS onto the SSD? And get my laptop up and running again? Also is this device alright for the old hard drive? http://www.ebay.ie/itm/2-5-External-SATA-Data-Caddy-Hard-Disk-Drive-Enclosure-Case-to-USB-3-0-Win-10-/261712285648?hash=item3cef448fd0:g:~wUAAOSwUdlWd76R
    Thanks in advance!

That enclosure would be grand for your existing drive,but they can also be got on adverts or memoryc £4.99 postage is a bit steep.

magentis wrote: »
    You wont be able to upgrade to windows 10 now with that usb.Your existing os had to be upgraded by the end of july for the free upgrade.And I would agree with other posts,you should get a 250gb/256gb ssd as a minimum.Take a look on adverts,amazon and memoryc.ie

I already have an activated version on my pc, I upgraded when win 10 came out. Can I use the USB when I have already upgraded or will I loose my activation? Yeah I've decided I'm going with the one recommended by the guys earlier in the thread. If I can't use the usb, how do I do a clean install and do I have to reactivate windows in some way? Also can someone take me through the steps from shutting down my laptop with the old hdd to booting up with the new ssd and a clean install of windows 10?

• Advertisement

Is it literally just turn off laptop, plug out hdd, plug in ssd and boot from usb?

well you have a laptop,but that applies to pcs as well,basically the slowest part is bottleneck in any system,and and this case hdd is bottleneck,since on laptops most upgrades can be either ram or hdd thats where any upgrading ends.

Since i5 is quite powerful and more then enough for MS apps ,after getting ssd you'll notice quite performance in boot up/application speed,and general write/read performance.

Yeah ssd's are plug and play ,pop old one out, new one in,boot from usb cdrom and away you go.

well you have a laptop,but that applies to pcs as well,basically the slowest part is bottleneck in any system,and and this case hdd is bottleneck,since on laptops most upgrades can be either ram or hdd thats where any upgrading ends.

Since i5 is quite powerful and more then enough for MS apps ,after getting ssd you'll notice quite performance in boot up/application speed,and general write/read performance.

Yeah ssd's are plug and play ,pop old one out, new one in,boot from usb cdrom and away you go.

Exactly what I wanted to hear :D

Thanks for the help everyone! I ended up going with this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-inc...+evo+850+250gb and have bought an enclosure for my current hard drive to use as external storage/a back up. It would be a shame to waste a 2TB HDD that's only a year old. I was looking up some videos and for my laptop it seems to be a very basic install. Would anyone be able to have a guess as what my laptop is worth before and/or after upgrading to the SSD?

I already have an activated version on my pc, I upgraded when win 10 came out. Can I use the USB when I have already upgraded or will I loose my activation? Yeah I've decided I'm going with the one recommended by the guys earlier in the thread. If I can't use the usb, how do I do a clean install and do I have to reactivate windows in some way? Also can someone take me through the steps from shutting down my laptop with the old hdd to booting up with the new ssd and a clean install of windows 10?

Ah!!
    I misunderstood,i thought you still had win7 or 8 on the machine.Yes you can use the usb for a fresh install on the new ssd.Great choice on the drive btw,you can't go wrong with those samsung drives.

Started off yesterday knowing absolutely nothing about what to buy or what the process was. Thanks everyone!

I cannot find the option in BIOS to go from IDE to AHCI. Is my laptop already in AHCI mode when it's only a year old or what's the story? Also what other ways are there to optimise using the SSD?

I cannot find the option in BIOS to go from IDE to AHCI. Is my laptop already in AHCI mode when it's only a year old or what's the story? Also what other ways are there to optimise using the SSD?
    ok had a look at mine laptop which is at least 3 years old by now ,i5 similar config acer make,and it has AHCI,so could be actually that your current drive doesnt have that option and it doesnt show up there yet,or just need bios update.

as for backing your old files,your better off getting 64gb usb key and transferring your essential files there and then formatting old one into ntfs and using it as backup drive.

just google your laptop make model and type in AHCI support option etc.to see if theres bios upgrade thats has it,think in general not many laptops have that function then again yours is only 1yr old so it might.

at worst youd be looking at some performance loose around 25% but thats in intensive queing jobs which say required several large applications running at the same time,but more likely wouldn't notice it without doing benchmarking.

I see it does support TRIM. Would that make it less likely to loose the 25% also the hard drive that is in it at the moment is on Sata III with 6Gb/s support

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I see it does support TRIM. Would that make it less likely to loose the 25% also the hard drive that is in it at the moment is on Sata III with 6Gb/s support

I doubt it even does IDE mode, no need to implement it on new UEFI motherboards.

Advertisement