Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edinburgh vs Leinster, Fri 16th Sept 2016 19:35, Murrayfield, TG4

Options
  • 16-09-2016 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭

GuinnessPRO12-300x216.jpg

Onwards & Upwards

Last weeks game against Glasgow may have been disappointing from a result perspective, but it was an incredibly encouraging performance given the relative strengths of the squads. Leinster welcome back a number of internationals to their starting line-up, although this may come at a cost to their continuity. There was a significant step up in Scotstoun compared to the RDS the previous week. We may need to expect a step back this week given that this will be the internationals first game of the season.

But there are still some key selections that have gone unchanged. The Leinster midfield remains the same and 2 of the back row from last week are starting this; Murphy and Leavy. We saw a lot of damage done in the midfield last week utilising all of these guys. Guys like Ross and Toner should bring some solidity to our set piece as well. With Isa and Dave being 2 wingers who are very good at coming infield and looking for work there is the makings of a good performance here again.

That Edinburgh side doesn't exactly strike fear into the heart, although their tight 5 will be combative. But there are nearly as many "who?" type names in there than easily recognisable players. They are always tough at home but this is a game that Leinster should be winning. If they can get some decent ball from their set piece and the returning players don't show too much rustiness I expect that to happen. Especially with that bench. Unlike last week there is definite impact there.
    17.gif|
    20.gif

|
    01. Rory Sutherland|01. Jack McGrath
    02. Ross Ford|02. Sean Cronin
    03. WP Nel|03. Mike Ross
    04. Ben Toolis|04. Devin Toner
    05. Grant Gilchrist|05. Mike McCarthy
    06. Magnus Bradbury|06. Jordi Murphy
    07. Hamish Watson|07. Dan Leavy
    08. Viliami Fihaki|08. Jamie Heaslip
    |
    09. Nathan Fowles|09. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Duncan Weir|10. Joey Carbery
    11. Tom Brown|11. Dave Kearney
    12. Phil Burleigh|12. Noel Reid
    13. Sasa Tofilau|13. Gary Ringrose
    14. Michael Allen|14. Isa Nacewa
    15. Glenn Bryce|15. Zane Kirchner
    |
    16. Stuart McInally|16. Brian Byrne
    17. Allan Dell|17. Cian Healy
    18. Kevin Bryce|18. Tadhh Furlong
    19. Fraser McKenzie|19. Ross Molony
    20. Cornell du Preez|20. Josh van der Flier
    21. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne|21. Luke McGrath
    22. Solomoni Rasolea|22. Cathal Marsh
    23. Blair Kinghorn|23. Rory O'Loughlin

Comments

Some good contests here. Scrum could be interesting from both a Leinster and Ireland perspective. I think we have a serious advantage in the Line out and maul.

We are definitely going to see traffic coming through 10 and 12 so Heaslip is going to be busy tackling. I'm also not too worried about continuity with the players having had a good pre season together.

I think Leinster by 5+ and to be honest with the bench we have coming on especially in the forwards we could thump them in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Some good contests here. Scrum could be interesting from both a Leinster and Ireland perspective. I think we have a serious advantage in the Line out and maul.

We are definitely going to see traffic coming through 10 and 12 so Heaslip is going to be busy tackling. I'm also not too worried about continuity with the players having had a good pre season together.

I think Leinster by 5+ and to be honest with the bench we have coming on especially in the forwards we could thump them in the second half.

The second half is when we've struggled the last few seasons though. And again in the last 2 weeks. Hopefully the experience will help there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Edinburgh are three-point favourites with Paddy Power.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

Edinburgh favourites, talk about easy money.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Edinburgh are three-point favourites with Paddy Power.

It's the other way round now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

It's the other way round now.

I am open to the possibility I misread the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Cheers molloy. You can have a thanks.

It's a Kiwi halves combination for Leinster, so I'm predicting a comfortable win.

Then Jamison can strum out a couple of waiata on his guitar in the changing sheds after, while the boys down the DB draught, before heading out for a traditional hangi.

Fun cultural times at Leinster this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I haven't seen Leinster this season, what's Jamison Gibson-Park like - does he look like a player that knows where the tryline is? 6/1 anytime try scorer looks tempting?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I haven't seen Leinster this season, what's Jamison Gibson-Park like - does he look like a player that knows where the tryline is? 6/1 anytime try scorer looks tempting?

Put the wife and kids on it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Del.Monte wrote: »

Haven't seen much from him in that regard so far. But I think Edinburgh have leaked a couple from around the fringes already haven't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The match is also available on BBC Alba with English commentary.

That being said, I haven't seen Leinster play in a while this season. I hope it will be a good game tonight for Leinster.

Put the wife and kids on it

Says more about the quality of your wife and kids :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

What a bloody start! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Leinster's opening play as hideous as their jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

This is a shocking start

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Lads, that jersey is feckin rotten!! :eek:

Dreadful attempts at tackles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Zzippy wrote: »
    Lads, that jersey is feckin rotten!! :eek:

Would suit construction workers, traffic wardens, Gardai.
    Well maybe not. High vis vests are a little more elegant I think.

Weir who got the 1st try for Edinburgh was lucky not to have his neck broken.

It doesn't take away the disastrous start from Leinster though. I hope that they will pick themselves up soon so far from an 8-0 loss.

Seriously, what are Edinburgh still doing in Murrayfield?

• Advertisement

Great line but the defence....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭crisco10

Well that was easy

Leavy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Nice to get that try but what was he thinking not grounding it straight away!!!!!

Omg that Edinburgh try is going to wind up in so so many gifs and compilation videos.

Strong start from leavy. Forced two turnovers and got a try.

God I hate murrayfield for Edinburgh games.

Leavy breezed through with that try in fairness. Still a kick in the teeth though when they are only a point behind.

Leinster should BP this. Edinburgh's defence is atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Nice wan, Ringrose.

• Advertisement

Lovely team try. Lots of soft Edinburgh shoulders tho

Advertisement