Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On a friend hunt in Dublin

Options
  • 14-09-2016 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

So it has recently dawned on me that I don't have many close friends. I am no longer in touch with anyone from school or college, and where i work, there are not many people my age [I'm 26].
    I really do want to make the effort to make friends, but I don't really drink, and have no intention of taking it up, so going to the pub and trying to pick up a friend won't do the trick, plus I wouldn't know how to do that without coming across as a raging lesbian [not that there is anything wrong with being a raging lesbian, but I am taken and don't want to send the wrong signals].
    I'm not into any sport, and not really into music, so i don't go to matches or concerts regularly. I have looked into classes and courses, but in Dublin, they are all crazy expensive. I'm very creative, and am passionate about art, craft, make up & nails. I work full time so I don't really see volunteering or joining loads of clubs as a viable option.

Any suggestions are welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Tag rugby.

Also, courses don't have to be expensive. You could do a beginners Spanish course for €100, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gurp

Tag rugby.

Also, courses don't have to be expensive. You could do a beginners Spanish course for €100, for example.

I guess it depends on how you define expensive. I dont want to throw €100 at a class I have no interest in and that will just be more work, not fun.
    I also mentioned that I am not into sport so tag rugby is a no-go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Many people who play tag rugby are not into sport but if sporting activities of any nature are a no-go, then that's a matter for yourself.
    Gurp wrote: »
    I guess it depends on how you define expensive. I dont want to throw €100 at a class I have no interest in and that will just be more work, not fun.

A large number of night courses are available and you have listed a relatively narrow range of interests. It will be simple to eliminate the courses in which you have no interest. That will leave you with a small number of courses. You will be able to select one that you like from that limited pool.

Looking at the cost of night courses which are available, if €100 is too much to spend, your options may become more limited.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Hi,

So it has recently dawned on me that I don't have many close friends. I am no longer in touch with anyone from school or college, and where i work, there are not many people my age [I'm 26].
    I really do want to make the effort to make friends, but I don't really drink, and have no intention of taking it up, so going to the pub and trying to pick up a friend won't do the trick, plus I wouldn't know how to do that without coming across as a raging lesbian [not that there is anything wrong with being a raging lesbian, but I am taken and don't want to send the wrong signals].
    I'm not into any sport, and not really into music, so i don't go to matches or concerts regularly. I have looked into classes and courses, but in Dublin, they are all crazy expensive. I'm very creative, and am passionate about art, craft, make up & nails. I work full time so I don't really see volunteering or joining loads of clubs as a viable option.

On the bolded bit, I don't think you're giving your fellow pub-mates any credit there. If someone came up and spoke to me, I wouldn't automatically assume that they wanted to get into my pants. Maybe I'm in a minority though?

Have you looked at the likes of meetup.com? If there's nothing that matches your interests - make a new group.

You say you're taken - does your OH have friends that you could interact with and expand your circle of friends that way?

If you're passionate about make up and nails, do you follow any of the bloggers on Facebook? Do any of them have meet ups that you could pop along to?

Do you enjoy reading? Local libraries always have interesting things going on, and they're mostly free/affordable. Also, book clubs are potential options too. I'm not sure what part of Dublin you're based in but I know of a few local coffee shops that run book clubs - perhaps if there's not one in your area you could ask if you could run one? You're surely not the only person in a similar situation.

What about making friends through boards? Go to boards beers, or even just organise a coffee meet up with some people in the private meetup forum? (Instructions on how to access are in the charter).

Other forums that are relevant to your interests - I'm sure there are some blog sites for arts and crafts that you could interact with and see if they run workshops?

What about local craft group sessions? I know a few local craft shops have evenings for their customers. Or craft markets? Go along and have a chat to the artists/jewelry makers and see if they'd be open to having you help out?

There are hundreds of free events in Dublin every month. There are lots of low-cost events in Dublin too. You need to figure out what kind of ones you're interested in and head along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Gurp

Thanks for all of your suggestions. The problem isn't so much that someone would think i was coming on to them in a pub, but rather that I would never be in a pub to begin with, seeing as I don't drink.
    I will certainly look into your recommendations. Thanks for you help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Meetup.com is a great way to meet new people. There are literally hundreds of groups meeting in Dublin with all sorts of interests catered for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Keep in mind that your not strange in this regard, I've a few foreign friends that complained that its surprisingly hard to make friends in Ireland, these are people that have good/native English and pretty sociable, as a people we're very friendly but thats different to wanting new friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

OP I have very few friends (I'm 29) so I know how you feel.

I joined a hiking group last year and met a girl when out in February - we've become very close since and I see her weekly now.

Meetup.com has been mentioned a few times - I find it great for getting out and about.
    I joined a swim group (run by the girl I met on the hike) and we go for a dip in the sea when the weather is nice.
    I've also recently joined a walking group and went out with them last week for an hour's stroll. The same girls also have a 'nights out' group so I'll be going out with them soon enough for a few drinks.

Check out 'Girl Crew' on FB too, they have their main Dublin page and also other pages for different counties. I've yet to go out with them but there's plenty of nights out posted.

I really like going to the cinema and was thinking of starting my own Meetup page soon for a cinema outing on a Friday evening with a drink or bite to eat before/after. Just an idea of something you could start if you wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I also recommend Meetup.com. There are plenty of free or almost free things on it. I joined it about a year ago and have made a couple of close friends and a rake of general friends.

And don't be put off going to something if it's in a pub. Stuff like board game nights tend to be on there, but plenty of people don't drink at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

I've recommended girlcrew to some female friends and they've made a lot of friends from it. One is even in Portugal with a half dozen pals from it atm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Volunteering doesn't have to be in working hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭AlabamaWorley

1. GirlCrew Dublin Guys & Girls Group
    2. Ladies and Gentlemen: The Inside Story...
    3. GirlCrew Dublin

All on facebook - Different events held every week. I've met so many people and made new friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭1ehkrjq6x2opfm

Thanks for all of your suggestions. The problem isn't so much that someone would think i was coming on to them in a pub, but rather that I would never be in a pub to begin with, seeing as I don't drink.
    I will certainly look into your recommendations. Thanks for you help.

I know how you feel! Have you heard of Girl Crew? It's a terrible name really, as it's not all girly, girly but there are over 10k members in a group on Facebook and it's awesome. I've met so many cool women of all ages. There's also a mixed group if you fancy making friends with the opposite sex too!

Best of luck and sure, not drinking isn't a big deal when there are brunch dates, cinema meet ups and lots more to do in Dublin :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Join an amateur drama group - great way to meet people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

If you're into craft stuff, there are a lot of knitting groups in Dublin. Most don't even require knitting - the one I go to sees crochet, tapestry, cross stitch, etc.. Doesn't cost anything but like any hobby, you often end up buying stuff.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Hi,

I'm your age and im in the same situation, I know a few other people who are too, its really common I think. I wish I lived near Dublin, id suggest meeting for coffee as im obsessed with make up and art too :) As others commented meetup and girlcrew are supposed to be good, ive never tried them myself as theyre all Dublin and Cork based but since youre in Dublin theyre worth a try. xx

Advertisement