Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Ireland Solar panels offer.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭randombar

fixxxer wrote: »
    This is the package they were offering to us https://activ8energies.com/solar-panels/thermal-energy/

I asked specifically about powering the house with electricity from the panels and he said no, it doesn't do that. To be fair, we spent about 6 minutes of a 30 minute sales pitch on the system the itself, the rest on discounts if you sign up now now NOW.

Had them come to us with the "deal" about they want to put a sign up on the gate to say the solar was installed here and they'd take 3k off the price. But you had to do it NOW in case your neightbour got it first, they can only put one sign up on a gate per area. Wasn't impressed with that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Had them come to us with the "deal" about they want to put a sign up on the gate to say the solar was installed here and they'd take 3k off the price. But you had to do it NOW in case your neightbour got it first, they can only put one sign up on a gate per area. Wasn't impressed with that at all.

Snake oil salesmen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

GaryCocs wrote: »

Same with us. They just happened to have another appointment scheduled for the next day so we'd have to sign up now to get all the discounts.

Solar thermal, waste of money, how much hot water do you need ? + your heating will heat the water for 8-9 months of the year.

Keep your money and when the ESB introduce a feed-in-tariff again go with solar PV, you use electricity for the house, hot water panels is a ridiculous system in this day and age of cheap solar PV.

I can't believe electric Ireland are selling hot water panels conning people it will save them money, pure scam !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hmm, 9000 Euro's to heat water ? I can do that at a cost of 8 C/kwh night rate, 9000 would buy me a very long time heating water.

As said below, Solar PV can provide power to the whole house, anyone selling PV for heating water alone should be avoided.

You sure these were not hot water solar panels ?

I can do it for 4.5c/ kWh with gas

• Advertisement

Perhaps You can, only Gas has to heat the boiler first and the water and the coil in the cylinder. + what are the standing charges on Gas and other charges ? I don't pay this on oil in the cooler months + I pay already for electricity, standing charges etc, I don't have to pay this for Oil.

Perhaps You can, only Gas has to heat the boiler first and the water and the coil in the cylinder. + what are the standing charges on Gas and other charges ? I don't pay this on oil in the cooler months + I pay already for electricity, standing charges etc, I don't have to pay this for Oil.

Standing charge is there anyway as I have gas boiler.
    My 24hr Elec is less than 8c as I'm on a staff discount ;) So PV is pointless for me, when I do a job in a house I'll probably go with a heat pump and ditch the gas.

You are paying a premium during the day to
    get the 8c rate. The heat loss between the boiler and warming the water is pretty minimal.
    The standing charge is 90 euro so over 8000 units it adds about 1/10 of a cent so still 4.5 there are no other changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭EI: Aoife

Hi all,

We have received a number of queries here on Boards in relation to a Solar Panels Trial with Electric Ireland. As there has been some discussion on this thread, we contacted the moderators, who have kindly given us permission to help clear up any misunderstanding.

We need to make you aware that this is not a public offering, rather it is a trial, the details of which were emailed by the relevant department to some Electric Ireland customers who meet certain criteria in relation to location and account history. These customers are still required to apply for the trial.

Not all of these customers will be able to take part in the trial as there are further criteria required upon application - there is only a set number of places. Applications are only open to those customers who received the relevant email - all of the details/contact information are contained in the email in question.

We regret any confusion. If you have account queries/questions in relation to current Electric Ireland offers do please let us know - we are online here in the Talk to Electric Ireland forum (and our other Social Media channels) from 8am until 6pm Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays).

Thanks,
    Aoife

Electric Ireland, can you confirm whether this was for Solar PV or hot water panels ?

Electric Ireland, can you confirm whether this was for Solar PV or hot water panels ?

I guess you missed the first post

See your savings rise with Electric Ireland Solar PV

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    I guess you missed the first post

See your savings rise with Electric Ireland Solar PV
    fixxxer wrote: »
    had a visit from this crowd last night: https://activ8energies.com/

They quoted €6500 to €9000 depending on what discounts were applied, but their system only runs the heating/hot water

Quite a strange survey. The guy spent more time trying to get us to agree to be a local advertisement home then going through the solar power system itself. Every person we get to join we get money back, potentially get the whole cost back from referrals, that kind of thing. Sounded like a pyramid scheme.

I guess this post threw me off. :D

Advertisement