Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the worse video game generation ever?

Options
  • 07-09-2016 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else think that the eight generation of video games is the worst?m

Now I am not a hardcore gamer by any means so I am genuinely asking what are peoples opinions of this generation.

In saying that I had over around 60 games for the PS3 that bought from 07-13
    . Most of these games I bought around 08-09. Compare that to my Ps4 from which I have had since last Christmas and I have 5 games. One fifa, GOW 3, The Last of US, Uncharted collection, Uncharted 4 and Rayman Legends. So really the only actual PS4 exclusive I have is a game which made its name on the PS3.

As a casual gamer I have a look now and to see what games due to come out and I see that a remastered version of an old game is on everyones lips. I can't be the only one who doesnt want to buy a game that they have already played right?

Like its either buy a remastered game or buy a franchise game like COD. Then when you see something that looks brilliant and original like No Mans Sky, the game ends up being sh!te. Even once great games like Batman and Battlefront have turned out sh!te.

Theres just nothing original anymore. Like I remember buying COD4 and was astonished as I had never really played a game like that before.
    I don't want Halo 5 or 6, I want a new trend setter to replace halo.

what are everyones thoughts I this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

deadybai wrote: »
    Like I remember buying COD4 and was astonished as I had never really played a game like that before.

Tell me about it, total shite eh?

I myself have been playing the likes of GTAV, Phantom pain, bloodborne, ds3, Witcher 3, arkham knight, Uncharted 4, Doom, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, some of the above arguably the best games ever, some ive only started to dent and alot more games on the horizon ill get around to in a year or two..

Then you have overwatch which millions will be playing for years to come

So eh, WTF you talkin bout brah??

:p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Console gaming has consistently failed this gen to deliver and tripped over itself over attempts to integrate online experiences in a closed environment. PC gaming has never been better. The Xbox One has not even come close to the experience of Xbox 360, and for good reason - it's clunky and so heavily based on online experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Too many remakes but I have bought a few so can't complain. I really enjoyed Witcher 3 & Until Dawn, Arkham Knight was probably my biggest disappointment since Fable 3. Fallout 4 & MGS 5 were let downs imo. Didn't buy most ubisoft games but Mirrors Edge, Watch Dogs & The Division go on the meh pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

They are much better now from mega games to tiny indie games, older people just dont have as much free time so end out only playing the games you mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Games have never been better, more varied, and more accessable in the history of gaming.

This ridiculously large list is just for 2016 and doesnt even have mobile games on it. There is more than enough there to keep everyone of all interests entertained.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/11/13/2016-video-game-release-schedule.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It's not over yet but not a great start compared to gen 7. Gen 8 is just getting a refresh, I feel the real gen 8 is only starting from now with 4k gaming becoming more mainstream.

I mentioned something along the lines of the OP in the news thread recently. PC gaming is PC gaming doesn't factor in here, it will always have a wider and more diverse selection. This gen on consoles has been very poor.

The jist of my ire re: this gen is volume of releases in terms of not only AAA but BBB etc. on 360 I was playing a fair few games a month plus download only ones. Now i'm surviving on 90% indie/download only ones. This isn;t a bad thing in terms of diversity in what I'm playing and there have been some crackers this year like Gone Hone and Hyper Light Drifter etc but they don't have the meat or substance of a AAA game that you play for a few weeks. They last mere days for me. I know I'm an exception in terms of the amount I play :o

Basically I see this gen echoing hollywood in that there are few if any risks taken anymore on new IP and an reliance of remakes remasters and sequels. You can take those or leave them of course , but if you leave them what are we left with ? Deus EX is the 1st game I went to a shop to buy in nearly 6 months , I like to buy my game on disc still, last gen I'd be in a shop once a week coming out with something I was willing to take a chance on outside of the big releases but the times they are a changing for consoles a lot of the small guys who would have produced those games went under and the big publishers aren't taking chances on that stuff. I'm just glad the the upswing is that we are seeing a big increase in quality PC indie titles ported over to consoles.

EDIT: The point on multiplayer / Online focus is a good one. It's once of the reasons I'm not playing as many new games as I don;t like competitive multi player games generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Back in the day there were good games and complete ****. These days we have plenty of good games and a lot of **** too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

nix wrote: »
    Tell me about it, total shite eh?

I myself have been playing the likes of GTAV, Phantom pain, bloodborne, ds3, Witcher 3, arkham knight, Uncharted 4, Doom, Diablo 3, Starcraft 2, some of the above arguably the best games ever, some ive only started to dent and alot more games on the horizon ill get around to in a year or two..

Then you have overwatch which millions will be playing for years to come

So eh, WTF you talkin bout brah??

:p:p:p
    Half of them came out on the previous console generation, and I don't know how you define PC generations.

I assume you mean 'Console Generation' ? ...otherwise can you clarify what a games generation is ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Given how much of a cluster**** 2016 has been - see: the news - it is some minor relief that it has been an absolutely extraordinary year for videogames. I actually can't remember having experienced such a bunch of remarkable, interesting and beautiful games in such a short space of time.

Granted, there's been a lot of games that have particularly suited my interests and taste, and I've made a reasonably active effort to filter out as much of the AAA noise as I can (doing the same with Hollywood blockbusters has been particularly liberating). But I've played all manner of brilliant titles this year, and indie titles have been flourishing.

I lost dozens of hours to The Witness - a masterpiece of following gameplay idea through to its various conclusions; taking place in a world that elicits a genuine sense of wonder, beauty and discovery; and a work that reveals fascinating thematic nuances the further you dive in. Inside was a revelation, with a nearly unparalleled level of artistic confidence. Kentucky Route Zero: Act IV brought an extraordinary series to new heights. Stephen's Sausage Roll is a game of truly ingenious puzzle design, constantly challenging and subverting the player's understanding of a fairly basic rule set. Quadrilateral Cowboy is a predictably accomplished piece of properly great storytelling and an imaginative lo-fi heist puzzler on top of that. Hyper Light Drifter is the best kind of retro homage - one that draws inspiration from the past but isn't constrained by it, instead emerging triumphantly as its own thing entirely.

That quality games like Firewatch, Obduction, No Man's Sky (I'll absolutely admit I'm swimming against consensus with that one), Zero Time Dilemma, 1979 Revolution and Superhot fall down 'the list' somewhat is less a fault of theirs and more simply their existence in a year where quality abounds. That's not even going into the games I simply haven't gotten to play yet - from Oxenfree to Samorost 3 and a whole lot in between.

Hell, even having tried to avoid all but a few particularly noteworthy blockbusters there's still been some positive noises from the 'big guys' this year. Xcom 2 and Uncharted 4 are welcome advancements on their predecessors. While I'm not as big a fan of Doom as others it's still a good, solid and fun shooter - although my FPS allegiances for the year mostly lie with Overwatch. The utterly engrossing Dark Souls 3 wasn't Bloodborne, but it was only 'underwhelming' by From's remarkably high standards (a game let down only by familiarity, despite being a genuine improvement on earlier masterpieces on many fronts). And hey, we have a Team Ico game left to go :cool:

Having built a PC around 18 months ago, no doubt my habits have adjusted towards the space particularly when there's cross-platform options. There's a definite slow trickle of exclusives, although IMO already enough interesting ones to justify my PS4 (Resogun, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, and there's not a chance I'm missing The Last Guardian / Persona 5 even if they turn out disappointing). I appreciate the increasing PC support for sure, and admire Microsoft's moves in that direction greatly (although hopefully less crappy Windows Store, plz). But obviously given the ease and lower cost of entry with consoles I'm also happy that those who don't want to dive down the PC rabbit hole are still served well - no doubt whatsoever a quick glance through either the Xbox or PS stores will deliver a steady stream of great games. I think any predominantly console gamer is spoiled for choice.

TL;DR - It's a really exciting time to play video games, as designers grow more confident and prove themselves more willing to challenge themselves. Even if you are disappointed with the AAA scene, there's more than enough great games of all sorts being made to suit pretty much any taste :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

No. Bloodborne came out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Half of them came out on the previous console generation, and I don't know how you define PC generations.

I assume you mean 'Console Generation' ? ...otherwise can you clarify what a games generation is ?

What? they were all on ps4? or does them coming out on ps3 also make it a different generation? I'm confused :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

nix wrote: »
    What? they were all on ps4? or does them coming out on ps3 also make it a different generation? I'm confused :P

I would consider the lowest console they came out on 'the generation' for that game.

If something is for PS4 that couldn't run on PS3, then I wouldn't consider it this generation's game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Honestly? It's terrific! Even just this year, we've had Hyper Light Drifter, Salt & Sanctuary, Steamworld Heist, Momodora: Reverie Under Moonlight, and a little something called Overwatch. That's only just what I've played, still got the new Deus Ex, Dishonored, Dark Souls to play, not to mention Nioh if it releases on PC. Lets cross our fingers, shall we?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

Given how much of a cluster**** 2016 has been - see: the news - it is some minor relief that it has been an absolutely extraordinary year for videogames. I actually can't remember having experienced such a bunch of remarkable, interesting and beautiful games in such a short space of time.

Granted, there's been a lot of games that have particularly suited my interests and taste, and I've made a reasonably active effort to filter out as much of the AAA noise as I can (doing the same with Hollywood blockbusters has been particularly liberating). But I've played all manner of brilliant titles this year, and indie titles have been flourishing.

I lost dozens of hours to The Witness - a masterpiece of following gameplay idea through to its various conclusions; taking place in a world that elicits a genuine sense of wonder, beauty and discovery; and a work that reveals fascinating thematic nuances the further you dive in. Inside was a revelation, with a nearly unparalleled level of artistic confidence. Kentucky Route Zero: Act IV brought an extraordinary series to new heights. Stephen's Sausage Roll is a game of truly ingenious puzzle design, constantly challenging and subverting the player's understanding of a fairly basic rule set. Quadrilateral Cowboy is a predictably accomplished piece of properly great storytelling and an imaginative lo-fi heist puzzler on top of that. Hyper Light Drifter is the best kind of retro homage - one that draws inspiration from the past but isn't constrained by it, instead emerging triumphantly as its own thing entirely.

That quality games like Firewatch, Obduction, No Man's Sky (I'll absolutely admit I'm swimming against consensus with that one), Zero Time Dilemma, 1979 Revolution and Superhot fall down 'the list' somewhat is less a fault of theirs and more simply their existence in a year where quality abounds. That's not even going into the games I simply haven't gotten to play yet - from Oxenfree to Samorost 3 and a whole lot in between.

Hell, even having tried to avoid all but a few particularly noteworthy blockbusters there's still been some positive noises from the 'big guys' this year. Xcom 2 and Uncharted 4 are welcome advancements on their predecessors. While I'm not as big a fan of Doom as others it's still a good, solid and fun shooter - although my FPS allegiances for the year mostly lie with Overwatch. The utterly engrossing Dark Souls 3 wasn't Bloodborne, but it was only 'underwhelming' by From's remarkably high standards (a game let down only by familiarity, despite being a genuine improvement on earlier masterpieces on many fronts). And hey, we have a Team Ico game left to go :cool:

Having built a PC around 18 months ago, no doubt my habits have adjusted towards the space particularly when there's cross-platform options. There's a definite slow trickle of exclusives, although IMO already enough interesting ones to justify my PS4 (Resogun, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, and there's not a chance I'm missing The Last Guardian / Persona 5 even if they turn out disappointing). I appreciate the increasing PC support for sure, and admire Microsoft's moves in that direction greatly (although hopefully less crappy Windows Store, plz). But obviously given the ease and lower cost of entry with consoles I'm also happy that those who don't want to dive down the PC rabbit hole are still served well - no doubt whatsoever a quick glance through either the Xbox or PS stores will deliver a steady stream of great games. I think any predominantly console gamer is spoiled for choice.

TL;DR - It's a really exciting time to play video games, as designers grow more confident and prove themselves more willing to challenge themselves. Even if you are disappointed with the AAA scene, there's more than enough great games of all sorts being made to suit pretty much any taste :)

Oh? I'm pretty sure your console can't play Sonic Dash, Candy Crush, Tekken Card Tournament, Endless Skater, and Dungeon Hunter 5.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Gaming is in a great place at the moment. We've had quite a few genres make a comeback thanks to crowd funding, and the indie scene is as good as it's every been. The current crop of consoles are decently powerful, and that allows most games to push themselves much further, which is good for everyone. We've also had one of the best games i've ever played in the last year (Witcher 3 of course).

With new tech on the way like VR and Hololens, we've loads to look forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

764dak wrote: »
    Oh? I'm pretty sure your console can't play Sonic Dash, Candy Crush, Tekken Card Tournament, Endless Skater, and Dungeon Hunter 5.

I can't tell if you are joking about this.

Mobile games aren't real games, they are a vehicle for microtransactions.

Otherwise, gaming is great at the moment. So much good stuff and so few hours in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I honestly don't think there's ever been a better time to be playing games. My biggest problem is that there's so much good stuff, I can't always find the time to play everything I want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I can honestly see both sides of the argument here.

That being said, I have being enjoying video games since 1989 and I'm enjoying them also in 2016

I think a lot of how we judge/view/review things is being tempered by cynicism coming from age and experience.

I genuinely don't think the games themselves are bad, I think the industry is toxic and making too many missteps.
    • Bad Value DLC
    • Games being Carved up
    • Preorder madness
    • Exclusives
    • The closing of small (reliable) studios like Maxis (and many, many others)
    • Free/Fee to Play/Pay
    • Buyable Character Levelling Boosts
    • Online Only
    • Always Online
    • 10 (or so) Console Studios/Developers/Producers making 90%+ of the "AAA" games
    • Day 1 Patches being so common that it's pretty much industry standard
    • The slow and steady disappearance of Games priced at €30 and €40
    • Games lacking Couch Co-op (yeah, buy a 2nd copy of the game if you wanna play sucker)
    I could go on. The industry is f**ked, the games are (for the most part) still good, they just keep poisoning the well by making good games cr@p by tacking on the above rubbish.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Find everything outside the indie space is pretty bad. Indie is just going from strength to strength though.

Triple A is in a very bad place now. There's been very few new triple A games released in the last 3 years. They are too expensive and studios are unwilling to take risks. Total console sales are also way down meaning it's tough to recoup costs on big projects.

Japanese development is also nearly vanished. There's a few very good niche developers hanging in there but everyone on that side of the pond is moving to producing crappy mobile games. It's a real shame but at least the indie scene there is starting to take off and move out of the traditional Doujin circles. Handheld gaming which was supported by excellent Japanese games looks to be on its last legs unfortunately. Mobile has taken over there and it doesn't get the respect it deserves in the west. Maybe NX will change things around but I don't see a future for a dedicate handheld like the 3DS or Vita.

PC seems to be riding up a peak at the moment. PC gaming seems to ride peaks and troughs but I haven't seen it this strong since the 90's. The open platform makes the system far better suited to where gaming is going compared to the closed systems of consoles which are holding things back artificially. The excellent range of easy to use development tools means it's easier than ever for anyone with a game idea to realise it and that is feeding into an expanding indie market.

• Advertisement

lawlolawl wrote: »

I can't tell if you are joking about this.

Mobile games aren't real games, they are a vehicle for microtransactions.

Otherwise, gaming is great at the moment. So much good stuff and so few hours in the day.
    Those are PC games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Those are PC games.

LOL, really?

I'm a pc/ps4 gamer and I've only heard of Candy Crush so I presumed they were all mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Those are PC games.

Eh, what?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think this generation is a mixed bag depending on what you use.

The PS4 so far has been very disappointing in terms of exclusives and originality compared to previous generations of playstation consoles. Off the top of my head Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 are the only 2 genuine exclusives worth owning so far. The market is about to be split up between the PS4 and PS4 Pro, while everything will work on both, I fear the standard of PS4 performance/optimisation in games could take a dip with Pro getting more optimized versions. At this stage the Ps4 should have at least 5 or 6 really good exclusives. I owned an xbox 360 last generation and that machine had a much better selection of games this stage in its career.

Im not going to go into all the reasons why I went for a ps4 and not an Xbox One, but at least Microsoft are starting to get things right after 2 very bad years. The xbox one S looks decent, however i still wouldn't buy one, the Scorpio does look interesting.

The Wii, if you can call it this generation has had some great games but they have been so few and far between. Nintendo have had much better times in the past, especially the 16 bit era with the SNES, which is still hands down my favourite and most memorable gaming generation.

Will be interesting to see what Nintendo eventually bring to the table with the NX, I am really rooting for Nintendo to come up with something great with a more steady stream of great games.

PC gaming seems to be making a come back, easily helped by the weak current gen consoles. World of Warcraft is making a bit of a comeback with the Legion expansion so far showing much more promise than the previous 3 expansions. Overwatch is doing great and is a really good game. Then there is all the esports titles doing really well as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Matthew Gleeson

deadybai wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that the eight generation of video games is the worst?m

Now I am not a hardcore gamer by any means so I am genuinely asking what are peoples opinions of this generation.

In saying that I had over around 60 games for the PS3 that bought from 07-13
    . Most of these games I bought around 08-09. Compare that to my Ps4 from which I have had since last Christmas and I have 5 games. One fifa, GOW 3, The Last of US, Uncharted collection, Uncharted 4 and Rayman Legends. So really the only actual PS4 exclusive I have is a game which made its name on the PS3.

As a casual gamer I have a look now and to see what games due to come out and I see that a remastered version of an old game is on everyones lips. I can't be the only one who doesnt want to buy a game that they have already played right?

Like its either buy a remastered game or buy a franchise game like COD. Then when you see something that looks brilliant and original like No Mans Sky, the game ends up being sh!te. Even once great games like Batman and Battlefront have turned out sh!te.

Theres just nothing original anymore. Like I remember buying COD4 and was astonished as I had never really played a game like that before.
    I don't want Halo 5 or 6, I want a new trend setter to replace halo.

what are everyones thoughts I this?

Too many remakes and remastered games these days. A lack of something original.......imo

lawlolawl wrote: »
    LOL, really?

I'm a pc/ps4 gamer and I've only heard of Candy Crush so I presumed they were all mobile.
    Eh, what?

Tekken Card Tournament is a browser game. Candy Crush is a browser/app game. Sonic Dash, Dungeon Hunter 5 and Endless Skater are apps. Endless Skater is also an Xbox Live game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Tekken Card Tournament is a browser game. Candy Crush is a browser/app game. Sonic Dash, Dungeon Hunter 5 and Endless Skater are apps. Endless Skater is also an Xbox Live game.

Yeah, that's what I thought when I looked them up. I thought I was going insane.

I wouldn't call them PC games, myself. Sure, you might be able to play them on a PC browser, but nah.

Yeah, that's what I thought when I looked them up. I thought I was going insane.

I wouldn't call them PC games, myself. Sure, you might be able to play them on a PC browser, but nah.

apps.52101.13510798883136771.c6905462-31db-4c65-a530-2585146e713d.ce0dccc0-9066-4a2f-97ad-fb67e34c71df?w=180&h=180&q=60

apps.33064.9007199266251900.3cf4a45e-1a6f-472d-9381-9f3d8455f895.e17aa651-5f6d-4807-8a7e-f449f71b0ca9?w=180&h=180&q=60

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Bloodborne, Witcher 3 and Bayonetta 2 are the only highlights I can think of in terms of AAA this gen so far.

The fact that Sony and Microsoft are pushing new hardware already is laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Too many remakes and remastered games these days. A lack of something original.......imo

the entire entertainment industry is like that, playing it safe and doing just enough to keep the cash flowing in.
    there's no appetite anymore to think outside the box and take risks.

Advertisement