Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Tablet

Options
  • 07-09-2016 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,898 ✭✭✭✭

Folks I've been considering buying an iPad to accompany my MacBook Air over the last few days but now I'm thinking of an android tablet but not sure what to go for.

I'll be using it mainly for YouTube and browsing the internet but will be adding a few films and stuff as well.

Could anyone recommend a suitable device? I was thinking along the lines of the Nexus 9 or Pixel C but would also consider something a little more adventurous from the likes of Ali Express if it seems like a good buy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

What size are you thinking about ? I take it a 10" ?

For youtube and videos, almost any tablet will do, pop in SD card, install a good media player and off you go. Check reviews for wifi issues and battery life I would say.. Get Lollipop or later as some apps may not install on older android versions (But any media player installs on Android 4 as well)

I have a Lenovo 7" - dirt cheap, good battery and wifi and accurate touch screen, bought it as replacement for Ipad mini that got lost, never looked back since. Using for exactly the same purpose as you intend.
    Also have a 10" Lenovo, bit too big for me to carry around.
    Both have Android 4 .

• Registered Users Posts: 27,898 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What size are you thinking about ? I take it a 10" ?

For youtube and videos, almost any tablet will do, pop in SD card, install a good media player and off you go. Check reviews for wifi issues and battery life I would say.. Get Lollipop or later as some apps may not install on older android versions (But any media player installs on Android 4 as well)

I have a Lenovo 7" - dirt cheap, good battery and wifi and accurate touch screen, bought it as replacement for Ipad mini that got lost, never looked back since. Using for exactly the same purpose as you intend.
    Also have a 10" Lenovo, bit too big for me to carry around.
    Both have Android 4 .

Yea I'm thinking 10 inch or close to it.

I saw a MiPad on Ali that I'm tempted by

Original Xiaomi Mipad 2 Mi Pad 2 Tablet PC Intel Atom X5 Quad Core 2GB RAM 16GB ROM 7.9" Retina 2048X1536 8.0MP Camera 6190mAh
    http://s.aliexpress.com/yM3mYbMR
    (from AliExpress Android)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

That looks like a very stylish high performance piece of kit indeed. It is "only" 7.9" though.

I guess we have different use for the tablet.. I have never used the camera other than just to test it - on any tablet I have ever used. I would easily buy a tablet without camera. Then, again I don't use skype, if you do, then a nice camera is a must , I realise that.

My "budget" tablets are able to show any video I have thrown at it, so I personally don't see any reason to spend more than €100-120. The 7" Lenovo I got for €75 and has about 8/9 hours battery life, more than enough to entertain me on a flight or read a full day when on holidays. It has never malfunctioned. That really is all I need from a tablet. Everything else gets done on PC/Laptop or phone.

Whatever you decide on, make sure you can get a custom cover/case for it, ideally one that functions as a stand as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I've been doing a bit of research on tablets in the 8 inch and 10 inch categories, that Xiaomi Mipad has its issues: 16gb with NO micro SD card slot, an Intel cpu which has some app compatibility issues, and no official worldwide ROM (which causes issues with accessing the Google play store). But it has a highly rated build, Screen quality and speakers so it would be excellent for streaming media. There is a windows 10 variant with 64gb that looks like a winner.

Also looked at the Huawei MediaPad M2 8.0 which is a little older but has similar excellent build and screen, but crucially has the micro SD card support. Is being sold in Currys in 8 and 10 inch models in fact, but is far cheaper on aliexpress and the like. Not great for gaming but good for what you describe. I think 8 inches is a good size for a tablet.

That looks like a very stylish high performance piece of kit indeed. It is "only" 7.9" though.

I guess we have different use for the tablet.. I have never used the camera other than just to test it - on any tablet I have ever used. I would easily buy a tablet without camera. Then, again I don't use skype, if you do, then a nice camera is a must , I realise that.

My "budget" tablets are able to show any video I have thrown at it, so I personally don't see any reason to spend more than €100-120. The 7" Lenovo I got for €75 and has about 8/9 hours battery life, more than enough to entertain me on a flight or read a full day when on holidays. It has never malfunctioned. That really is all I need from a tablet. Everything else gets done on PC/Laptop or phone.

Whatever you decide on, make sure you can get a custom cover/case for it, ideally one that functions as a stand as well.

The only thing that I'd really like is a really good screen. I just like gadgets :)

I was thinking of the HTC Nexus 9 but I don't see many available in many places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

There's one up on Bargain Alerts that might be worth a look to you - Amazon link here

10" 4k screen, 2B RAM, 16GB storage, MicroSD expandable, and €80 delivered at the minute. Even though it's Android 4.4.2 there's a 5.1 custom ROM for it that seems OK from what I've read so far, but for that price it's worth a punt I reckon :) I've ordered one anyway!

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    There's one up on Bargain Alerts that might be worth a look to you - Amazon link here

10" 4k screen, 2B RAM, 16GB storage, MicroSD expandable, and €80 delivered at the minute. Even though it's Android 4.4.2 there's a 5.1 custom ROM for it that seems OK from what I've read so far, but for that price it's worth a punt I reckon :) I've ordered one anyway!

I'd like to have 5.0 on it at least. I've never rooted and installed custom ROMs on a phone before, is it hard to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    That new Lenovo with the backlit glass keyboard looks like it'll be so handy, especially for the drawing/writing support.

Do you have a link or a device name I could search?

Edit: Never mind I see you did post the name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I'd like to have 5.0 on it at least. I've never rooted and installed custom ROMs on a phone before, is it hard to do?

Not really if you read the instructions, take your time, and don't panic if someting does go wrong as it can almost always be recovered in my experience

Thread on rooting and installing the custom ROM here ... read through that if you decide to attempt it.
    Note though that doing so would likely invalidate any warranty so it's do it as your own risk :)

Me I'll take it as is, install my apps and see how it works and then root/upgrade if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Graham 1324

Bought the asus zenpad on sunday
    Serious bit of kit,

DTS-HD premium sound
    Dual front speakers
    64 bit quad core
    2gb ram
    Tru2life visual master
    Corning Gorilla glass

209euro with free antivirus ,buy it!! Ya wont regret it :-)

Just to update, I picked up a Surface 3 over the weekend for €379.

Very happy with it so far and it's handling everything I throw at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Bought the asus zenpad on sunday
    Serious bit of kit,

DTS-HD premium sound
    Dual front speakers
    64 bit quad core
    2gb ram
    Tru2life visual master
    Corning Gorilla glass

209euro with free antivirus ,buy it!! Ya wont regret it :-)

Which model and where did you buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Graham 1324

Asus zenpad 10, currys

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I think 8 inch is a good size for a tablet and I am on the lookout for something inexpensive to use travelling - mainly for browsing and maybe some Skype. Anyone know anything about Asus X380?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Yea I'm thinking 10 inch or close to it.

I saw a MiPad on Ali that I'm tempted by

Original Xiaomi Mipad 2 Mi Pad 2 Tablet PC Intel Atom X5 Quad Core 2GB RAM 16GB ROM 7.9" Retina 2048X1536 8.0MP Camera 6190mAh
    http://s.aliexpress.com/yM3mYbMR
    (from AliExpress Android)

Did you get it? How is it.

Phil.x wrote: »
    Did you get it? How is it.

No I ended up with a Surface 3 after. I really love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭AngryLips

No I ended up with a Surface 3 after. I really love it.

Where did you get it at that price and is that including or excluding cover?

AngryLips wrote: »
    Where did you get it at that price and is that including or excluding cover?

PC World had them reduced when I bought. I got the keyboard from Kompleet for €69.

Advertisement