Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

youtube creator day (Dublin 2016)

Options
  • 06-09-2016 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

My son has been invited to the 2016 "youtube creator day" at the google head office in Dublin 4.

We live is Laois and he is only 17,, I'm kinda in two minds,

Do I let him go alone,, or,, should I go with him.

When I was 17, I would have left my dad at home and gone myself, But the world is a much darker place these days.

What to do ?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

You could contact Clare Cullen (AKA Clisare)on the Irish youtubers facebook group and ask what the story about underage people is.

The world isn't really any more dark than it was, speaking as a Dub. You're just hearing more sensationalist reporting on it because news has to sell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

That Clisare channel looks fun, It's nice to see Irish youtubers doing well..

But the issue is now sorted,, he wants me to go with him,, so that is that..

His Channel is
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVSkGhhFq5DZLhYQf7atrig/videos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

anyone else went to that event ? what was it like.
    gave it a miss myself, looking at the videos from previous year it seem to cater more for vloggers and let'splayers and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

BGOllie wrote: »
    gave it a miss myself, looking at the videos from previous year it seem to cater more for vloggers and let'splayers and whatnot.

For an event designed to be for people with at least 1k subscribers... it was kinda insultingly basic. Like reading most of the tutorials you can find on the YouTube creators site.

Now the bits with participation among all the - I think it was announced as 83 attended - creators were a lot better as we could bash heads with each other and work on collabs, peer review, and just generally getting to know other people. And a brief panel with several larger Irish YouTubers at the end of the day was great as they themselves gave much better stories and information than the rest of the pre-prepared slides did.

It would be a lot better if specific creator days focused on specific kinds of channels that work better together. So a day for gamers, a day for comedy sketches, a day for animators etc. Although Ireland probably doesn't have the numbers of creators needed to be able to pull that off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Glad I missed it so. I run 2 YouTube channels ( one is semi - retired)

It sounds like about twenty years ago, Eircom . net proudly advertised that they would be running Build your own homepage class in Leopardstown - There were to be TWO streams - Basic and Advanced.

To cut a long story short, they only did the Basic class.

Well done previous poster for calling YouTube out on this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

BGOllie wrote: »

I was at the previous year (couldn't make it to this one) and last year, while there was a lot of v-logger stuff, there was break away classes that catered to more specific and interesting things (my personal favourite one was on using analytics correctly to make your videos more attractive to users).

Can't speak for this year but I've not heard amazing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭satguy

Just as a follow up ,,

I drove him up from Portlaoise and let him attend on his own, He is only 17 so could not have a beer.
    He said he enjoyed the day,, But that it was more suited to vloggers, rather than the stuff he likes to do.

But would go again next year,, "Maybe"

With all that said,, I think YouTube should lay on a few beers for the poor Dads,,

Advertisement