Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Craft Beer Festival 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Looks like I'm going this evening afterall! Just won tickets from blacks for tonight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

Pricey in, pricey drinks, pricey food, plastic cups....but here and lovin' it

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

Yup. Stoopid bus strike aside getting here. Beers are good and the guys are all sound to talk to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

People walking around wiith glass getting beer. Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

ciaran76 wrote: »
    People walking around wiith glass getting beer. Just saying.

Did they bring their own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sklarker

Kinnegar black bucket....winner so far

• Registered Users Posts: 51,568 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Rip-off Ireland is alive and well.

matrim wrote: »
    Did they bring their own?

Nope given by brewery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Good night. But i have to say they really should provide a booklet of the brewers and their wares. I like to take it home and analyse it afterwards.

They had this at the killarney beerfest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

So my second visit to dungarvan for a maple and bacon beer has revealed noby's name....mission accomplished....now that I think of it we had this conversation last year :pac:

Beaky dargles bourbon aged coffee milk stout has been beer of the day for me

Cheers to blacks for free entry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

A program would've been nice and those paper tokens were shÍte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Nope given by brewery.

The funny thing about the glass ban is that they forgot to ban glass bottles. They're everywhere. Loads of people walking around with bottles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 aoifefb

Did anyone have any luck with discount codes for the online tickets? Or anyone trying to sell tickets for today?

I'd love to go later on, but not off work until 6.30 so won't get there until 7.30. Wondering if it's even worth my while paying €15 to be there for a couple of hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

c - 13 wrote: »
    Good night. But i have to say they really should provide a booklet of the brewers and their wares. I like to take it home and analyse it afterwards.

They had this at the killarney beerfest

Odd. They had one last year (linked on my post here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100965906&postcount=44)

me_irl wrote: »
    Odd. They had one last year (linked on my post here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100965906&postcount=44)

Yeah I had to do laps of the place looking and all the beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

me_irl wrote: »
    Odd. They had one last year (linked on my post here http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=100965906&postcount=44)

Yeah I remember last years one. Thats why I was surprised. Even asked the staff were there any about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

I can kind of see how the beakers make sense, but at the same time I felt like a kindergarten attendee with my plastic cup.
    Tokens a fiddly bloody disaster, nearly lost them I don't know how many times taking them out of my pocket.
    A bit surprised to see Bushmills and Jameson there and equally surprised not to see Jack Codys. Felt a bit sorry for anyone unlucky enough to be stuck in the corners, at one point the poor fellas in the Hot Press corner were almost in darkness.
    At least this year I got to order grub, unlike other years when the queues were mental but €9 for a pie with mash and gravy????
    The silent disco was good fun though....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

IDL / Jameson are ever present. Bushmills seem to not raise ire now that Diageo sold them!

Silent disco last year had two choices of crap as music.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Couldn't care less about the plastic cups, was good enough.. the tokens were a pain, had to be really careful not to lose them..

The food was a rip off in that they didn't accept cash, and it cost two €3 tokens for a basic hotdog that should be no more than €4!

Really busy and different crowd at the venue, lots of corporate parties out, felt very mainstream as opposed to when they first started up the festival...Silent disco was extremely busy, so the whole thing felt more about a party than about the beer...

Recognised all the names, very few smaller operators there which was a shame, but at least all the well known brewers had special festival only beers...

Since when is Jameson "craft?"

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

Beaky dargus was my surprise of the festival. Their peaty porter was unreal. There stout was delicious. 10% was well hidden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

madfcuker wrote: »
    Beaky dargus was my surprise of the festival. Their peaty porter was unreal. There stout was delicious. 10% was well hidden

They were the standout stout for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

Went Thursday night, reasonable crowd in.

Enjoyed the night but the lack of a brochure this year was annoying and the beaker is a step down. Considering prices were up, poor form that the offering is down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just left there now and it was very quiet compared to this time Last year. At 7pm on the Saturday last year they were turning people away who didn't have tickets. A non Irish brewer Beavertown were standout for me although Reel Deel come in a close second. O'Sullivans from Kilkenny have a fascinating story and even better ale, was very impressed. Overall I enjoyed it but the increase in prices and plastic cups have left me doubtful I'll return next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Galway Bay not there, Rye River not there, Whiplash not there, Yellowbelly, 9 White Deer, Radikale (did they go bust?) , White Gypsy and plenty others. To go from the beautiful stem glasses last year to the plastic cup was a let down, tokens for food. No programme. The beer spoke for itself which is all that should matter to be honest but I can't help but feel a little underwhelmed compared to last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

O'Sullivans from Kilkenny have a fascinating story and even better ale, was very impressed..

Yea my favourite only, one of the few new guys to the scene with a great story and you got to meet the people behind it.. as contrasted with the likes of Crean's and O'Hara's etc etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Went last night for a few hours and today thanks to the Beoir discount.
    Noticed a lot of breweries not there this year compared to other years. Attendance on the Friday seemed small, but given the bus strike understandable.

Today and having left at 9pm was surprised at the size of the crowd. Much smaller than last year.

No program? A QR code on a wall does not count in my opinion
    3 euro tokens ( I know prices in pubs per pint can be more but how and ever)
    The **** cup to drink out of...

Next year, frankly I cannot see myself bothering, and as for those **** tokens they make the breweries staple 10 a piece ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Yea my favourite only, one of the few new guys to the scene with a great story and you got to meet the people behind it.. as contrasted with the likes of Crean's and O'Hara's etc etc...

Don't see the issue with O'Haras myself? One of the original trailblazers who have done an awful lot for the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Don't see the issue with O'Haras myself? One of the original trailblazers who have done an awful lot for the industry.

They probably were the worst stand at the festival imo, awful specials

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

They probably were the worst stand at the festival imo, awful specials

Their grapefruit IPA was amazing! Better than Elvis Juice IMO. Didn't have anything else from them though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Liked O'Haras cask Leann Folain too.

3 euro token was a joke and the Q for the tickets Friday night was ridiculous. I seen a few brewery owners going ape over it and they jumped in the help sell tickets.

Plastic beaker was another upset.

Very disappointed not to see some breweries there. Was hoping for Yellow Belly.

Advertisement