Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winds of Winter release date ?!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Every single time I see an update on this thread I get my hopes up :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭xper

Aaaaagggggghhhh! Gets me every ****ing time.

*unsubscribes*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Starting to think he's not bothered anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

At this rate he's going to croak and they'll just have to adapt the TV series script into the final novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,092 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Book is finished I'd say so it the next one after it a dream of spring but with the show not being finished yet and now being so different to the books it would be sensible to let the show finish then release the books under the guise of the ending to a song of ice and fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Book is finished I'd say so it the next one after it a dream of spring but with the show not being finished yet and now being so different to the books it would be sensible to let the show finish then release the books under the guise of the ending to a song of ice and fire.
    I don't think so. I think he wrote himself into an awful mess with too many characters and storylines and doesn't know where to go. The show was good while it was following the books but the last season was poor. They tied up a lot of stories but it seemed rushed and disjointed. They will have been going on what George told them but the drop in quality of the show indicates to me that George himself hadn't planned the end through. If he had a fantastic book ready to go, then I personally think that would have been reflected in the show.

I feel sorry for book readers. I only read the books after seeing the first series and wanted to know what was happening. It must be super frustrating to follow a story for so many years and then get nothing. Fair enough George doesn't owe fans anything, but the book readers before the show were the ones who were lining his pocket. Morally he could reward them by getting the finger out and producing TWOW. Instead he's too busy writing side books that no one really gives a sh!t about.

The first few books/series were great because they had a lot of politics and plot twists that no one saw coming so George was hailed as this great writer. As the series nears it's end, it's basically become the average fantasy story of good vs evil. As the best characters have been killed off, there's little room to shock. I'd be surprised if he ever releases another book. Better to go out on a high were people will forever be arguing over whether or not the new book would've been better than the show, than to release a new book and confirm that he lost his mojo. Even the most ardent book reader fans have to admit that the quality of the books dipped as they went on.

Even if WOW gets released, what about the final book?

Given where all the characters where when we last left them, I don't see how he'd wrap this up sufficiently in two more books anyway.

He's lost his excitement for writing this series IMO.

Even if WOW gets released, what about the final book?

Given where all the characters where when we last left them, I don't see how he'd wrap this up sufficiently in two more books anyway.

He's lost his excitement for writing this series IMO.
    I agree with this. There was so much happening where he left off, there is no way he could finish into two normal sized books.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I actually wish he would just admit there's a problem. People would be far more tolerant then.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Like many others I only started reading ASOIAF after getting in to the show. I was encountering too many spoilers between seasons 2 and 3 so I decided it was best that I spoil the show for myself by reading the books.

I don't feel any great connection to them and don't really care if the series is ever finished. In fact I really doubt that he will ever complete the next volume.

I do feel sorry for the original book readers and fantasy fans who have been left high and dry by Martin. It's obvious that the guy has no idea of how to tie everything together and doesn't want to deal with the pressure.

The music writer Johnny Rogan, who is noted for his attention to detail, once spent a whole year in isolation, without talking to another human being, so he could focus on getting a book completed.

While you can't expect that from Martin, you would hope that he would leave all these side projects aside for a period so he could concentrate on the book that most people actually want.

By procrastinating and diverting attention to other projects Martin can let the show producers tie up the story in a manner that will be satisfactory for casual fans like myself. The zealots and "GRRM is not your bitch" fans will remain as supportive of his inaction as they are now.

People complain that the show's quality sunk once it had exhausted the source material. Of course it did. They had to deal with the labyrinth of storylines that Martin himself is now unable to navigate through.

By pairing it down and dropping half of the nonsense characters included in the books they will be able to close the story out in a somewhat satisfactory manner.

Martin can then say that the show has already shown how ASOIAF will end and he's done with it. Casual fans will no longer care and will move on. The zealots will be satisfied with Martin's next tome, "The Complete Anatomy of Grumpkins and Snarks: Volume 1 of 3" .

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

Like many others I only started reading ASOIAF after getting in to the show. I was encountering too many spoilers between seasons 2 and 3 so I decided it was best that I spoil the show for myself by reading the books.

I don't feel any great connection to them and don't really care if the series is ever finished. In fact I really doubt that he will ever complete the next volume.

I do feel sorry for the original book readers and fantasy fans who have been left high and dry by Martin. It's obvious that the guy has no idea of how to tie everything together and doesn't want to deal with the pressure.

The music writer Johnny Rogan, who is noted for his attention to detail, once spent a whole year in isolation, without talking to another human being, so he could focus on getting a book completed.

While you can't expect that from Martin, you would hope that he would leave all these side projects aside for a period so he could concentrate on the book that most people actually want.

By procrastinating and diverting attention to other projects Martin can let the show producers tie up the story in a manner that will be satisfactory for casual fans like myself. The zealots and "GRRM is not your bitch" fans will remain as supportive of his inaction as they are now.

People complain that the show's quality sunk once it had exhausted the source material. Of course it did. They had to deal with the labyrinth of storylines that Martin himself is now unable to navigate through.

By pairing it down and dropping half of the nonsense characters included in the books they will be able to close the story out in a somewhat satisfactory manner.

Martin can then say that the show has already shown how ASOIAF will end and he's done with it. Casual fans will no longer care and will move on. The zealots will be satisfied with Martin's next tome, "The Complete Anatomy of Grumpkins and Snarks: Volume 1 of 3" .

I'D READ IT!

• Administrators Posts: 53,413 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

He doesn't know how to finish the books. The TV writers did a great job cutting out the crap.

awec wrote: »
    He doesn't know how to finish the books. The TV writers did a great job cutting out the crap.
    I think the writers did the best they could with what they had and George took a cop out when he didn't release the next book before the last season. I do think the quality of the show took a massive dive but that's not a criticism I direct at the show writers - it's one I lay firmly at George's feet. He wrote himself into a conundrum and left it to the show writers to solve. They get to take the flak from ardent book readers who will hear no bad word against George and claim that the show ruined the story.

They cut the crap but now we're left with (in my opinion) some uninspiring characters. Jon has really grown on me. He's gone from a moody angst ridden teen, to someone I can get behind. Same with Sansa. Tyrion on the other hand seems to have lost his wit and mojo and I don't find him as interesting. Dany just annoys me. As one of the main characters, I couldn't care less about her. Actually I take that back, I'd be delighted if she was killed off. Early on I loved her resilience and the fact that she seemed to really care about the people of the lands she conquered. Now though she just comes across as the typical Targaryen who sees the Iron Throne as a right and fcuk all the regular people living in Westeros. Even Varys has lost a lot of his allure and Arya, one of my all time favourites, came across as a brat last season.

Hopefully with the extra time they have taken to produce the last season they will iron out these problems and it will be worth the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The writers messed up the show long before they ran out of material. Character motivations after the first season were so inconsistent at times and the way they treated characters like Stannis, Doran and others was absolute nonsense. They actually manage to have filler like Missandei and Grey Worm while leaving out
    the Blackfyres and killing off nearly every major family in a nonsensical way

Of course some things had to be taken out but the manner in which they did was so rushed and i couldn't get behind it in any way. Went for big moments rather than building any kind of story. While there was great acting and casting of characters and some genuinely great moments, there was just too much that didn't fit in with my idea of the universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Winds of Winter is gonna take a looooong time to come out....

Advertisement