Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

radio nova

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

i ❤ Dee Woods

☺️

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭KildareP

Their latest heavy on-air promotion to play some of their songs straight off vinyl, is really just the song played as normal off the playout system with the sound of vinyl crackle played underneath for the first 20 seconds or so of the song... Either that or the first 20 seconds of all their vinyl is badly scratched while the rest of the track is meticulously clean :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I never trust these gimmicks stations do about "going to the vinyl vault". It's a bare face lie !!

Pat Courtenay used to do a segment for a few years on Nova "Turntable Tuesday", where he would play one song direct from vinyl, which was genuine - but then the turntable was removed from the stations so this was dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭newirishman

I really hope they stop that BS. Not that it really matters given the quality of FM radio, but this push of vinyl implying that it is "better" than digital audio is just annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't think anyone buys the argument that something broadcast over FM would make much difference to the quality, it's about nostalgia rather than sound quality, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the whole argument in favour of vinyl is it sounds warmer and the physical format is more interesting, all of which is lost when it's being played over compressed FM and you can't see the record. It's a stupid gimmick.

In other news, I'm getting heartily sick of "Hey Jude"

ànd 'Have you seen the Rain' .... and i LOVE that song.

Yeh, thye do tend to play a lot of the same songs, but is there any better alternatives??

Todayfm - Dermot&Daves laughathon ? no thanks....

2Fm - i dont even know who is on there, but tends to be women with the same accent, or is it the same woman ??

Radio is very stale....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what they need is - not even a show - but maybe a two hour slot where anything they play cannot have been released as a single. it might force them to play some less overplayed songs.

we did have nova on in the car the other day and they played dylan's 'positively 4th street' which (albeit a single!) was an unusual dylan song for them to choose. it's a pretty poor reflection of their playlisting that that thought even crossed my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the problem is they play something you haven't heard for years, and you think "great tune"

then you hear it 10 more times over the next couple of weeks. As well as Hey Jude they've been hammering Every Little Thing She Does is Magic recently.

That and their total obsession with Queen and the Killers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭prunudo

And Aslan, crazy world!

Or Bob Marley, 3 little birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

!00% agree with this. Always end up giving it a chance in the car but for every decent some you hear, it's the Killers and Queen.

It's Top Gear radio. Like Jeremy Clarkson was in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Planet Rock all day long lads.

A real rock station not a pretend one like nova.

CPL 593H

Im sure they play the songs weve mentioned above , a lot also. ... :)

There isnt a lot of repetition on planet rock and you'll never hear marley, aslan, the police or the killers there either.

They played 'riff raff' at 8am this morning and I cranked it up and lashed into the air drums while remaining in complete control of the vehicle at all times.

Honestly lads, is there anything better than Bon Scott era AC/DC?

I think not. 😃

CPL 593H

Tony Ainscough's Friday Night Rock Show, is probably the only show closest to what you are looking for.

i was thinking earlier you could have a drinking game based on the nova playlist. you all guess the next song they play, and if you're right, your drinking buddies have to neck a pint.

If you choose 'Roxanne' you'd be pi$$ed in no time.

CPL 593H

Re Bon Scott....

You are 100% correct !!!! 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭KildareP

Why not just tune your radio .1 off the centre frequency for that vinyl style sound 24/7 😆

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You'd swear blind that a new compilation album had been released.

I think Nova does have a problem with repetition (but so does every station) but it only becomes apparant if you listen across the whole day. But I also think certain dj's have their safe playlists and don't venture too far from it, Marty Miller is particularly guilty of this I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

With the amount of audio chain processing and analogue to digital and back again conversion (link signal) that a radio broadcast is subject to, plus then being received on various FM radios of varying tonal quality.... the whole straight from vinyl hype ... is just that.

I remember we had a turntable in studio in the days of early legal Phantom and some raved about the authentic tone off it - despite the aforementioned processing transformations that were made after the needle hit the groove. I once spent a Saturday morning listening to what sounded like problems with our audio limiter, where every second computer playout system track would be louder than the DJ vocal running over it. It was very annoying and when I eventually got to the studio, I found that the record deck had been used overnight and someone had ramped up the channel level to increase the vinyl volume, except they forgot to reduce it again when the channel was switched back to the louder computer playout system. The limiter was actually doing a great job in preventing horrible distortion between a normal playout level for fader 1 and a REALLY LOUD (vinyl set) level for fader 2.

The record deck was taken out there and then... if no one noticed the problems its use had caused, they sure as hell weren't going to notice any difference when it was playing vinyl.

If you have a good deck and speaker setup and have your listening room designed to accommodate it... then you can enjoy your vinyl experience... but no one is going to actually notice the difference on the radio .... or care about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I heard bits of Radio Nova's Essential 200 yesterday - I gather it started on Saturday.

What does anybody think of the selection? I don't think there were any major surprises. The only surprises for me were the positions of some of the songs, such as the Top 3.

https://www.nova.ie/listen-to-radio-novas-spotify-playlist-the-essential-200-218548/

Was Hey Jude no1?

Heard a bit on Saturday and Sunday, probably better as those songs were less popular but also meant less well played so was nice to hear some alternative songs to the normal playlist.

It was Number 7. I supplied a link to the full countdown in my previous post. Number 1 was Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd.

Here's the link again:

https://www.nova.ie/listen-to-radio-novas-spotify-playlist-the-essential-200-218548/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

‘Matt the Hoople’ at number 77. Is that a tribute act for ‘Mott the Hoople’?

Either it was a typo, or the person typing it never heard of the band Mott The Hoople. Hopefully it was the former! (Thought I had hit the Quote button - must not have!)

I just noticed that Pink Floyd had three entries in the countdown and none of them were from The Dark Side of the Moon album. Incidentally, they were Wish You Were Here at 147, Another Brick in the Wall at 70 and Comfortably Numb at 1.

Another observation: Coldplay had two entries - Yellow at 106 and Viva la vida at 65. That's less than you would expect given the amount of airplay that they get on Nova.

I was surprised to see Black Dog by Led Zeppelin in the countdown at Number 73. I can't actually remember hearing it on Nova! They had three entries by the way, the others being Whole Lotta Love at Number 23 and Stairway to Heaven at Number 4. The latter always has figured fairly high up in rock countdowns.

Bob Dylan did well with four entries. I would say that overall he is played sporadically on Nova. I was particularly surprised to see The Times They Are A Changin at Number 155, as I cannot ever remember hearing that song on Nova. I suppose I had better say what the other songs were! Knocking on Heaven's Door (189), Like a Rolling Stone (30) and Lay Lady Lay (23). I am surprised that Hurricane didn't make it in as it I have heard it quite a few times on Nova.

• Advertisement

I wouldnt pay too much heed to this countdown. Chart positions are probably randomly generated, until it gets to the Top 10.

Advertisement