Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neutral thoughts on Brian Galvin reffing the All-Ireland

Options
  • 30-08-2016 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

What are you're thoughts on Brian Galvin as the chosen ref for this years All-Ireland?

I for one think he will give anything 50/50 to kilkenny and thats no disrespect or bias towards Tipp on my behalf.

Early in the Munster final against Waterford before Tipp came well out on top he was giving everything he possibly could to Waterford .

I say this as a neutral and emphasise this is NOT a Kilkenny or Tipperary bashing thread, Just want to hear your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

tcrilly52 wrote: »
    What are you're thoughts on Brian Galvin as the chosen ref for this years All-Ireland?

I for one think he will give anything 50/50 to kilkenny and thats no disrespect or bias towards Tipp on my behalf.

Early in the Munster final against Waterford before Tipp came well out on top he was giving everything he possibly could to Waterford .

I say this as a neutral and emphasise this is NOT a Kilkenny or Tipperary bashing thread, Just want to hear your thoughts?

Brian Gavin is to Kilkenny what Howard Webb was to Man Utd.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Will do his best to play for draw first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Brian Gavin is to Kilkenny what Howard Webb was to Man Utd.

A thread requesting neutral opinions and the first reply is from a hard of reading Tipp man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭lukin

Definitely a positive appointment for Kilkenny. Gavin simply loves them.
    Sure didn't he let Tommy Walsh split his nose in the 2011 AI final and then he apologised to Tommy afterwards for getting in the way of his hurley. (http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/gavin-laughs-off-swipe-accident-26768428.html).
    You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

lukin wrote: »
    Definitely a positive appointment for Kilkenny. Gavin simply loves them.
    Sure didn't he let Tommy Walsh split his nose in the 2011 AI final and then he apologised to Tommy afterwards for getting in the way of his hurley. (http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/gavin-laughs-off-swipe-accident-26768428.html).
    You couldn't make it up.

Whatever about bias, he sure knows how to stifle any chance of a decent free flowing game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

Akrasia wrote: »
    Whatever about bias, he sure knows how to stifle any chance of a decent free flowing game.

All the man does it let the play go. Which suits Kilkenny, but to be honest I don't buy the "he hates Tipp" lark. For example, I don't think Tipp lost the all ireland replay in 2014 or the 2011 game because of Brian Gavin. If they're the better team on Sunday they will win, that should be the end of the referee discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I'm always surprised he get's the big games. No offence to the man but he's pretty fat and does not look fit. I don't know how he keeps up with the pace of the game for 70 minutes. I always think there should be 2 referee's in a hurling match anyway due to the speed of the game...

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭letsseehere14

He doesn't look up to these games fitness wise and Kilkenny seem to come out on top of a lot of his decisions. Kilkenny v Waterford replay match he was on the sideline. The final line ball just before Waterfords last minute free looked to me a clear Waterford ball, he told the ref to throw it in between them, would Gleeson have had a crack? (They got the free in the end) So maybe it is not an apparent bias against Tipp but more of a, in intense matches, sway towards the historically dominant team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Only 3 of the last 13 All-Ireland finals have been reffed by Munster men
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/hurling/munster-referees-disenchanted-over-all-ireland-hurling-final-appointments-417436.html
    So Leinster seems to be where it's at.

Johnny Ryan, Fergal Horgan, John Sexton etc. were overlooked, while Gavin is on his 3rd or 4th All-Ireland final.

James Woodlock points out that ""I'd say Kilkenny are happy enough with the referee but Tipperary are apprehensive."
    Out of 11 All-Ireland finals won by Cody, 10 were reffed by Leinster men apparently. Probably a coincidence, but still quite a statistic.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/former-tipp-star-referee-brian-gavin-cant-take-dictatorship-from-the-sideline-752286.html

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

What difference does the province of a ref make? Do refs favour a team because they are from a certain province?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

Where is he from? Where does he work? Where does he live? As we have seen in Football a referees place of birth means absolutely nothing.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/martin-breheny-officials-should-not-be-appointed-for-big-games-involving-the-county-where-they-work-35009164.html

We have seen Dublin benefit enormously in recent years from Joe McQuillan a Cavan referee living and working in Dublin who was responsible for them winning the 2011 and 2013 All-Ireland single handedly robbing both Mayo and Kerry in the process. In 2012 his actions were despicable in how he gave Dublin every single opportunity against Mayo in the 2012 Semi-Final but the Mayo team stood solid against 16 man Dublin.

Sundays performance by David Gough was another Hatchet job by the GAA in which saw Kerry completely robbed, David Gough awarded Dublin several dubious scorable frees whilst denying Kerry perfectly legitimate frees.

All the media attention is about the Olympic Council of Ireland but it is the GAA which is corrupt to the core and the GAA have an agenda to keep both Dublin and Kilkenny winning at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Where is he from? Where does he work? Where does he live? As we have seen in Football a referees place of birth means absolutely nothing.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/martin-breheny-officials-should-not-be-appointed-for-big-games-involving-the-county-where-they-work-35009164.html

We have seen Dublin benefit enormously in recent years from Joe McQuillan a Cavan referee living and working in Dublin who was responsible for them winning the 2011 and 2013 All-Ireland single handedly robbing both Mayo and Kerry in the process. In 2012 his actions were despicable in how he gave Dublin every single opportunity against Mayo in the 2012 Semi-Final but the Mayo team stood solid against 16 man Dublin.

Sundays performance by David Gough was another Hatchet job by the GAA in which saw Kerry completely robbed, David Gough awarded Dublin several dubious scorable frees whilst denying Kerry perfectly legitimate frees.

All the media attention is about the Olympic Council of Ireland but it is the GAA which is corrupt to the core and the GAA have an agenda to keep both Dublin and Kilkenny winning at all costs.

Mother of god, but that is some pile of ****e you've put up there.

As a Clareman, I would love nothing more than someone else to stop Kilkenny winning all around them. But to insinuate that one of the greatest hurling teams we have ever seen only won because of 'corruption' is ridiculous. Were you looking for the 'off the wall conspirency' thread by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭randd1

All the man does it let the play go. Which suits Kilkenny, but to be honest I don't buy the "he hates Tipp" lark. For example, I don't think Tipp lost the all ireland replay in 2014 or the 2011 game because of Brian Gavin. If they're the better team on Sunday they will win, that should be the end of the referee discussion.

He also gave Tipp a penalty in 2014 when Bonnar tripped himself up when no-one touched him at all, and in every Tipp/Kilkenny game he's reffed he's let Tipp get away with as much as Kilkenny, it's just Kilkenny had the better capacity to to eke out a win.

Very biased to Kilkenny so he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

As a neutral I believe he's the wrong choice and either of the two James's should be ahead of him .

But now that he is the referee I wish him the best and hope we are not discussing him next Sunday evening .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Salrub

Think he seems to get respect from all players as in they seem to accept his decisions most of the time. Seems to let the game flow which is good but needs to pull for frees for wild strikes which sometimes he doesn't bother to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

Decent ref, second probably to Owens at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Salrub wrote: »
    Think he seems to get respect from all players as in they seem to accept his decisions most of the time. Seems to let the game flow which is good but needs to pull for frees for wild strikes which sometimes he doesn't bother to

Agree with this. He seems to have a good rapport with all teams, and I think most players enjoy his style of refereeing. His main problem is he simply can't keep up with play and tends to give a lot of decisions from 30 or 40 yards away.

Your on a hiding to nothing reffing a gaa game though as you could have had a brilliant game and there would still be a few people convinced you were the biggest bollix of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

dirtyden wrote: »
    A His main problem is he simply can't keep up with play and tends to give a lot of decisions from 30 or 40 yards away.

That's it in a nutshell, he actually failed the fitness test last year but was allowed to do it again, he clearly has friends in high places and is very well gotten. He has a suspension for what I have been told was a vicious verbal attack on a fellow referee quashed so he could referee KK v Waterford last year.

I remember in the aftermath of the 2013 final both sets of fans were fuming with him but I don't for a second think he sets out to favour one team or another, just like everyone in the game from management to players to officials he will make mistakes.

I'm not neutral though :D so reserve the right to change my opinion at 5pm Sunday evening :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

randd1 wrote: »
    He also gave Tipp a penalty in 2014 when Bonnar tripped himself up when no-one touched him at all, and in every Tipp/Kilkenny game he's reffed he's let Tipp get away with as much as Kilkenny, it's just Kilkenny had the better capacity to to eke out a win.

Very biased to Kilkenny so he is.

I think Kilkenny foul more to be honest. I understand that won't be popular with ye but it's just what I see.

Don't think he's biased at all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tcrilly52

danganabu wrote: »
    That's it in a nutshell, he actually failed the fitness test last year but was allowed to do it again, he clearly has friends in high places and is very well gotten. He has a suspension for what I have been told was a vicious verbal attack on a fellow referee quashed so he could referee KK v Waterford last year.

I remember in the aftermath of the 2013 final both sets of fans were fuming with him but I don't for a second think he sets out to favour one team or another, just like everyone in the game from management to players to officials he will make mistakes.

I'm not neutral though :D so reserve the right to change my opinion at 5pm Sunday evening :D

great replies guys, and yeah i didnt know he failed a fitness test?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Biloxi Blues

The likes of Marty Duffy, Pádraig Hughes and Cormac Reilly (to name just a few) must have holiday homes in Kerry or rent the tent out for the Rose of Tralee judging by the number of teams they've screwed over to Kerry's benefit over the years. Funnily enough, not a peep out of Kerry about them but whenever they lose it's tinfoil hat time . And they claim to never whinge in Kerry, oh no, not them at all at all at all, no sireee!

I think Kilkenny foul more to be honest. I understand that won't be popular with ye but it's just what I see.

Don't think he's biased at all though.

I wouldn't call Gavin biased either, just incompetent and unfit (in more ways than one) to referee the final. Will let the things that Kilkenny have worked on like the taps on the elbow with the hurley or arm-holding go because Cody doesn't want certain rules in the rulebook to be enforced and knows the likes of Gavin will let them off. He has the excuse that he mightn't see them because he's usually not within 50 yards of the play anyway because he's at least 5 stone overweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It certainly would make you wonder what type of fitness tests they have, if a man like Gavin can pass it.

There is no way a man of that physique would even be considered to play for an inter-county hurling team, or indeed even a senior club team.

Yet he is reffing the All-Ireland senior final again. If he is indeed the best choice, then it doesn't say much for the standard of other referees, despite their physical advantages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

As a Clareman I wouldn't be happy with Gavin as a ref either. I remember in the drawn final 2013 we were very unhappy with him at half time, spoke to a few Cork and neutral fans too and they felt he kept Cork in the game.

I remember David McInerney coming out with the ball and got a belt on the hand - he stood up expecting the free, saw there wasn't one and went to play the ball - he was subsequently penalised for steps!

Gavin was no more than 6 metres away at the time.

In the 2nd half he did improve and allowed us an extra 45 seconds to draw the game but this is hardly fair to Cork..

Against Waterford I noticed Cody jawing away at him too when the pressure was on, he stood there like a sheep almost nodding in agreement. Tipp are right to feel apprehensive, his reffing style (inconsistent, let's things go, can't keep up) may suit Kilkenny's agressive style more, Tipp need to be intense and agressive in the extreme on Sunday because Gavin will not protect them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Can't believe the obsession with referees on here and among fans in general, before, during and after games. All utterly convinced that the ref is against them.

Bizarre stuff.

buck65 wrote: »
    As a Clareman I wouldn't be happy with Gavin as a ref either. I remember in the drawn final 2013 we were very unhappy with him at half time, spoke to a few Cork and neutral fans too and they felt he kept Cork in the game.

As a Clareman, you have need to thank Gavin not whine about him. He conjured up phantom time out of nowhere to give the worst team to win an All Ireland this century enough time to equalise against the worst team to reach an All Ireland final this century. That game was over but Gavin ,ultimateley, won the All Ireland for Clare.

As a Clareman, you have need to thank Gavin not whine about him. He conjured up phantom time out of nowhere to give the worst team to win an All Ireland this century enough time to equalise against the worst team to reach an All Ireland final this century. That game was over but Gavin ,ultimateley, won the All Ireland for Clare.

I just read some of your other posts and realise you're a class A troll when it comes to GAA. So I won't justify your post beyond this.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Can't believe the obsession with referees on here and among fans in general, before, during and after games. All utterly convinced that the ref is against them.

Bizarre stuff.

No, this is about Brian Gavin's refereeing in particular and his apparent inability to keep up with and ref games properly. There are examples listed above about games where he struggled. This is a good topic actually.

buck65 wrote: »
    I just read some of your other posts and realise you're a class A troll when it comes to GAA. So I won't justify your post beyond this.

I've just read your abusive PM and some of your one-eyed posts and realised that you're a poor troll but I'll continue to put you back in your box.

• Advertisement

I've just read your abusive PM and some of your one-eyed posts and realised that you're a poor troll but I'll continue to put you back in your box.

Good man , stick to the topic and get over your biases.

Advertisement