Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make and model of this bus

Options
  • 30-08-2016 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

Hi, all I need some help identifying this buses make and model and possibly a year.

I have it down as the 1970s(Ish)

2zqsg2r.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I;m not expert but I think it's an Leyland Atlantean Van Hool. Could well be wrong though
    googled Leyland Atlantean AN68/1R/Van Hool- McArdle H45/29D

https://sites.google.com/site/pacerchaser/irish-bus-fleet-lists/cie-coras-iompair-eireann-bus-fleet-list-1985

Mk4 Cortina dates it to / after 1976

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Leyland Atlantean AN68/1R/Van Hool- McArdle H45/29D

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

And I'd guess O'Connell Street Limerick........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

I;m not expert but I think it's an Leyland Atlantean Van Hool. Could well be wrong though. (Patrick St Cork I think too

googled Leyland Atlantean AN68/1R/Van Hool- McArdle H45/29D

https://sites.google.com/site/pacerchaser/irish-bus-fleet-lists/cie-coras-iompair-eireann-bus-fleet-list-1985

Mk4 Cortina dates it to / after 1976

It was Limerick in Fact :):D could it date before 76 or after do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

This is while we have a Bus Enthusiasts sub-forum....

• Advertisement

tonyheaney wrote: »
    It was Limerick in Fact :):D could it date before 76 or after do you think?

Cortina Mk4 introduced autumn 1976.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I love the fact that bus people know these things.

Cortina Mk4 introduced autumn 1976.

savagethegoat can you 100% confirm that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Hi, all I need some help identifying this buses make and model and possibly a year.

I have it down as the 1970s(Ish)

2zqsg2r.jpg

Looks like the Vanhool D class first built 1974.

VanHool MacArdle bodied AN68 Atlantean judging by the indicator light arrangement.

savagethegoat can you 100% confirm that?

google is your friend, it's also where I got the bus details from based on the reg number

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cortina

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

The registration is 1974 I think, but CIE used get a batch of numbers in advance of the vehicle being built, so the bus may not have been built until a year or so later.

The biscuit yellow livery(I might call it beige) was introduced with these buses. It replaced the navy and cream, and lasted some years.

As another poster has said, the Mark IV Cortina was introduced late 1976, but I take it you want the year of the bus being constructed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

tabbey wrote: »
    The registration is 1974 I think, but CIE used get a batch of numbers in advance of the vehicle being built, so the bus may not have been built until a year or so later.

The biscuit yellow livery(I might call it beige) was introduced with these buses. It replaced the navy and cream, and lasted some years.

As another poster has said, the Mark IV Cortina was introduced late 1976, but I take it you want the year of the bus being constructed.

The colour,as recorded on the Tax Disc was Mid-Buff....:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Conway635

This type of bus entered service from late 1974 onwards.

This specific individual one, entered service in the second half of 1975.

It's not exactly looking fresh and new here, so the photo could be a couple of years later.

C635

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭cml387

Never mind about the bus. What's the man doing standing on the canopy of Todds?

I could put it as late as 1980. it looks like Limerick did when I was there.;)

cml387 wrote: »
    Never mind about the bus. What's the man doing standing on the canopy of Todds?

I could put it as late as 1980. it looks like Limerick did when I was there.;)

what about the poser by the pole lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

As a young lad in Cork aged 11 or so in the mid 70's that was my favourite bus. I lived in Bishopstown and used to go and see it on the Glasheen road. I seemed to be for ever drawing that model.

Happy memories of bus spotting in my youth.

Advertisement