Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can we get a better "Declare car off-road" system by any chance?

Options
  • 25-08-2016 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭

Just tried to declare a car off the road for the winter but the site won't let me. Tells me there are arrears even though I just paid them

The site looks like something from the mid 90's and says:
    There are currently motor tax arrears due on this vehicle. Before declaring your vehicle off the road you must pay these arrears and tax your vehicle for a minimum of three months. To pay these amounts you can visit your local tax office, or follow the link below.

Who designed this sh1te? You have a narrow little window to declare a car off the road and if you don't use it you're caught for another 3 months. Similarly if you happen to forget in a years time because you are away in some other country and not thinking about the rustbucket you have in the shed back home you'll be caught again or be stuck with the change-owner-change-back procedure. What an absolute nuisance of a system!

The lad who came up with this semicretinous sytem and the person who made the website behind it could do with being repeatedly slapped in the face with a rotten trout for putting in such a p1ss poor effort

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

When and how did you pay the arrears?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Stheno wrote: »
    When and how did you pay the arrears?

About 10 minutes before using the same mid 90's website

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

About 10 minutes before using the same mid 90's website

Well it needs to be processed by the office, if you give it a business day or two it will get updated and then you can declare it off the road.

Well it needs to be processed by the office, if you give it a business day or two it will get updated and then you can declare it off the road.

Will it let me do it straight away for October or will I have to sit there and wait for the first day of October to come'round?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I think this is the point though.
    If they can build a website, they can build a database and it shouldn't have to be processed by the office and certainly shouldn't have to take a day or two.

The whole process is a load of ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

1st world problems, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Just tried to declare a car off the road for the winter but the site won't let me. Tells me there are arrears even though I just paid them

The site looks like something from the mid 90's and says:

Who designed this sh1te? You have a narrow little window to declare a car off the road and if you don't use it you're caught for another 3 months. Similarly if you happen to forget in a years time because you are away in some other country and not thinking about the rustbucket you have in the shed back home you'll be caught again or be stuck with the change-owner-change-back procedure. What an absolute nuisance of a system!

The lad who came up with this semicretinous sytem and the person who made the website behind it could do with being repeatedly slapped in the face with a rotten trout for putting in such a p1ss poor effort
    I wouldn't call a month a narrow little window. If you declare the car off road for 12 months they send out a renewal notice in 12 months to allow you to re-declare the car off the road,hardly difficult tbh.

CianRyan wrote: »
    I think this is the point though.
    If they can build a website, they can build a database and it shouldn't have to be processed by the office and certainly shouldn't have to take a day or two.

The whole process is a load of ****.
    The site and system for paying tax online was built well before the off the road process, and probably hasn't been updated due to lack of investment in IT in recent years to be fair.

jca wrote: »
    I wouldn't call a month a narrow little window. If you declare the car off road for 12 months they send out a renewal notice in 12 months to allow you to re-declare the car off the road,hardly difficult tbh.

What's the point though? Why no 'until someone decides to tax it again' option? If you have a load of rustbuckets sitting around then you have to do it for each one. No need for renewal notices either if they just made the system a small bit more flexible

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

The site and system for paying tax online was built well before the off the road process, and probably hasn't been updated due to lack of investment in IT in recent years to be fair.

Lack of investment... I'd say you could honestly get a transition year student to build them a better website these days.

But that's exactly the problem, the website hasn't been updated in years and it can't keep up with the demands of the new features they've brought into the system.

• Advertisement

What's the point though? Why no 'until someone decides to tax it again' option? If you have a load of rustbuckets sitting around then you have to do it for each one. No need for renewal notices either if they just made the system a small bit more flexible

I agree there. There should be an option to declare permanently off road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

It takes roughly 24 hours for the online system to update and synch with the national database.

Our tax system needs a total overhaul.
    The idea of wiping thousands in arrears by "selling" the car is disastrous and abused left right and centre.
    We should have the UK system of continuous taxation.

SORDs can be processed in the last month of the tax disc. 30 days inst that narrow a window.
    Retrospective off the roads were done away with years ago....a rightly so imo.
    you have 3 options to do it. Online (24x7), by post or in person....it's hardly that difficult to pick one.
    If you send it in by post a bit early it will even be held for you until it can be processed.

Of course, if you don't like the system you can talk to your local legislator about changing it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Old system was clearly open to abuse. New system not great either. Help me out here do you declare the that you won't use the car on adhoc basis. Sometime you may not know how long you are going to keep a car off the road. Maybe you can't afford to run a car temporarily etc.

Of course, if you don't like the system you can talk to your local legislator about changing it.:)

The local legislator is too busy having his chicken dinners inside in the Shelbourne and I doubt he'll take the time to even send a reply but sure I'll try it one day when I'm bored and nothing else to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

I agree there. There should be an option to declare permanently off road.

Definitely, need a permanently off the road option. This 12 month rubbish is very annoying if you've a car stored long term in a shed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

we need a system like the UK have. If your car is not taxed and not SORNd you get a fine in the post. If your car is not insured and not SORNd, you get a fine in the post. If an ANPR camera (an they have very many of them) picks you up , it will show if your tax/MoT/Insurance are up to date. Expect to have your collar felt.

Our system as designed to fail with built in loopholes. I'd be interested to know how many cars here are taxed but not NCTd (when they should be) and why there isn't an automatic system to pick up these cars and prosecute them. It should be impossible to tax an un NCTd car in these circumstances.

we need a system like the UK have. If your car is not taxed and not SORNd you get a fine in the post. If your car is not insured and not SORNd, you get a fine in the post. If an ANPR camera (an they have very many of them) picks you up , it will show if your tax/MoT/Insurance are up to date. Expect to have your collar felt.

Our system as designed to fail with built in loopholes. I'd be interested to know how many cars here are taxed but not NCTd (when they should be) and why there isn't an automatic system to pick up these cars and prosecute them. It should be impossible to tax an un NCTd car in these circumstances.

I'd much prefer if there was no such thing as car tax, NCT or cameras spying on you everywhere like in the Youkay but the powers that be seem to love that kinda thing

yes, we'd all prefer that and free shopping at the Supermarket too.

yes, we'd all prefer that and free shopping at the Supermarket too.

I doubt that. A good few people actually love all that authoritarian sh1te

Old system was clearly open to abuse. New system not great either. Help me out here do you declare the that you won't use the car on adhoc basis. Sometime you may not know how long you are going to keep a car off the road. Maybe you can't afford to run a car temporarily etc.
    If you want to use a car legally that's declared off road, you need to tax it.
    Taxing overrides the SORD and cancels it. A new declaration is then needed.

• Advertisement

To declare a car off the road you must do so before the tax runs out (or on purchase). You cannot declare an untaxed car off the road unless you just bought it. You would have to tax it first.

You can declare from memory that it will be off the road for 3 6 or 12 months , although why they chose to make that system, no one knows, as you can, as Tatranska says, tax it at anytime which cancels the SORD

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

To declare a car off the road you must do so before the tax runs out (or on purchase). You cannot declare an untaxed car off the road unless you just bought it. You would have to tax it first.

You can declare from memory that it will be off the road for 3 6 or 12 months , although why they chose to make that system, no one knows, as you can, as Tatranska says, tax it at anytime which cancels the SORD

The 3 months 6 months off the road declaration is a bit pointless imo. You can't declare a car off the road for less than 3 months yet if you declare it off the road for 3 months or more you can still tax it put it back on the road at any time you like. Why would anyone bother declaring a car off the road for less than the maximum of 12 months then.

There really should be no time limits on the declaration. Once a vehicle is declared off the road it shouldn't have to be redeclared of the road again when it hasn't been put back on the road.

Also if the apologists on here think the UK have a good system I'd think again tbh. They have made a bit of a mess of their system which also makes importing UK cars to this country a lot more difficult as a car has to be relaxed every time its sold and no none resident owner can tax that car which makes the trip to the ferry very risky. For UK residents it's only another austerity measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭amacca

IMO the reason you can't declare a car off the road indefinitely and then tax it when you ant to put it back on the road is primarily because its a revenue collection device....human nature being what it is a certain percentage will forget to redeclare it every 12 months and then be liable for arrears etc

A lot of the new rues/regulations are quite simply revenue collection and possibly job creation measures (fairly depressing, not necessarily stable jobs either) dressed up as improving safety and standards on the roads.

disclaimer: it could also be because they are cretinous morons

When the 12 months have elapsed they send out a renewal notice, go online declare it off road for another 12 months, hardly difficult in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

I've yet to receive one of those renewal reminders but I live overseas so I guess I don't matter.

When the 12 months have elapsed they send out a renewal notice, go online declare it off road for another 12 months, hardly difficult in fairness.

There isn't much sense to it though.

You'd be surprised how many people don't have internet access, aren't computer literate and who can't read or write....the latter is scary!

You'd be surprised how many people don't have internet access, aren't computer literate and who can't read or write....the latter is scary!

Hand they renewal notice to someone who can read/ have Internet access and ask them to sort it out. Actually the car I'm declaring off road every 12 months belongs to someone just like that.

Hand they renewal notice to someone who can read/ have Internet access and ask them to sort it out. Actually the car I'm declaring off road every 12 months belongs to someone just like that.

But why have a system where a person has to do that every 12 months? What's the point of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,043 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Scrap all this nonsense that requires an army of overpaid council workers to administer it. No more motor tax, €0.25 added to every liter of fuel. Simple and efficient, costs nothing to implement, costs nothing to collect the money, everybody is 100% compliant

And of course this is the only fair system where everyone pays for what they use / what they pollute

Advertisement