Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duke Nukem uhhh 5?

Options
  • 25-08-2016 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

http://dukenukem.com/index/

Counting down to next Friday.

Gearbox own the rights so any game would be 100% them, I think it will either be a HD remake or new version that plays like Doom.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I paid 2.50 for Duke Nukem Forever and that was 25 euros too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Retr0gamer wrote: »

But you bought it knowing it was an awful awful awful game, same reason I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Can't wait to hear how Randy Pitchford tries to sell this turd.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

dreamers75 wrote: »
    But you bought it knowing it was an awful awful awful game, same reason I did.

I've played awful games and had fun with them.

Duke Nukem Forever was a different sort of awful. Certainly not a good game but just competent enough to lie in that middle ground of excruciatingly bland. A game that I could feel sucking the fun out of the room and my soul every time I fired it up. I kept going just to see how deep the rabbit hole went.

The horror

The horror

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Duke Nukem 3D reduked - whats the bets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I like the Duke Nukem games. DNF had a development hell but I guess it can't be totally let off the hook as it was released in that state it was. No excuses this time around tho.

Money on that this is some xbox live arcade boring title or something. But really hope it's a proper fully fledged game brining it back to life.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It says "Happy 20th Anniversary", so a DN3D remastered looks likely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Do they think the Duke brand is just on the right side of irrelevant that they might make a few quid?
    Sound cheap and nasty Doom 2016 clone to me.

I'd love if they go back to the 2D Duke Nukem 1, keeping the graphics as is, but adding a tonne of voices.

Just think it'd be hilarious to have Duke like that and shouting all the profanities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think DNF is a game people love to hate but really wasn't anywhere near as bad as it's made out to be. I bought it sometime around release, and I actually really enjoyed it and certainly didn't consider it money wasted. It's not fantastic by any stretch nor very memorable but I had good solid fun with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I will be robbing and using this in future, just so you know :p

I think DNF is a game people love to hate but really wasn't anywhere near as bad as it's made out to be. I bought it sometime around release, and I actually really enjoyed it and certainly didn't consider it money wasted. It's not fantastic by any stretch nor very memorable but I had good solid fun with it.

It wasn't atrocious but what's worse than being awful is being bland and uninspiring. The attempts at humour just fell late on their face (You could tell it had been in development a long time with Leeroy Jenkins jokes 5 years out of date) and when it wasn't humourless it was just plain offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

https://twitter.com/dukenukemgame/status/768524448785833984

Has the "bantz" with Randy from gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Not to mention the twelve year wait for what turned out to be a bland and uninspiring game. It didn't even have the decency to be awful like Daikatana. :(

Props for this though...

https://twitter.com/dukenukemgame/status/768941831958564864

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Over on Reddit, a leaker has identified it as "Duke Nukem World Tour", a remake of DN3D being developed by Nerve Software with updated graphics, new content and local and online deathmatch and co-op.

The screenshots are underwhelming to say the least. Could all be fake, though...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4zm4n5/the_new_duke_nukem_game_being_teased_is_called/

ydpb798.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I assume that has to be fake. That doesn't even look as good as the various fan-mods and engines that exist already.

Yeah I thought so too. The screenshots are awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Ah hear, if that's the best they can do.... Seriously a graphical revamp of Duke Nukem 3D would be all sorts of awesome.

Wouldn't be too surprising to be honest. The Megaton Edition of the game was pulled from sale earlier in the year after the distribution rights reverted back to Gearbox from Devolver Digital. At the time Gearbox said it would be coming back later in the year so it's not a massive leap to imagine the World Tour is the Megaton Edition with some engine improvements and a smattering of new content.

As for a full blown sequel, while Gearbox may have a decent relationship with 2K / Take-Two, assuming there's anyone left at the publisher from the early 2000s, I wouldn't be particularly surprised if there was some reticence on the latters side to fund such an endeavour. I mean, the only way this could have happened was if they didn't take the write downs on the project over the previous 14 years...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I didn't realise it but I have the Megaton edition on my PS3, must have been a PS+ freebie at some stage.
    Not that I'm likely to play it, I was always a Quake man back in the day, rather than Duke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I didn't realise it but I have the Megaton edition on my PS3, must have been a PS+ freebie at some stage.
    Not that I'm likely to play it, I was always a Quake man back in the day, rather than Duke.

Aye, it was free with P.S. plus. It's cross buy so you'll have it for the Vita as well. Perfect game for the handheld.

Aye, it was free with P.S. plus. It's cross buy so you'll have it for the Vita as well. Perfect game for the handheld.

Thanks for that,
    Now have the Megaton edition on my Vita!
    Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 8,970 ✭✭✭Doge

Duke3D is my favourite FPS of all time, so a remake would be very close to my heart.

If they kept the open ended level designing and all the things that made it such a classic game we could be onto a winner.

Mind you, a fan called Frederik Schreiber got permission from Gearbox to do a Duke 3D remake back in 2010 called Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded, prior to the release of DNF, after attracting their attention with screenshots of his progress. But Gearbox allegedly f*cked him over.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Nukem_3D:_Reloaded
    Wikipedia wrote:
    The game has been put on an indefinite hold as of September 24, 2011, pending the resolution of differences between the Interceptor Entertainment team and Gearbox Software due to ambiguity on whether or not the finished product would actually be allowed to see release.[13]

Schreiber spoke out on the delay in 2013, stating in an interview published in the July issue of the Danish video-game magazine, gameplay, that it was a direct result of Duke Nukem Forever's disappointing reception. He elaborated, "The problem was that Reloaded, in its then present state, was both a prettier and better game than Forever was. So they [Gearbox] could under no circumstances allow us [Interceptor] to publish it, show it, or do anything at all with it, because it would destroy the sales-opportunities they had left in Forever."

I hated the younger 3D model of Duke in DNF that Gearbox changed to after acquiring the IP, totally trying to make him look "cool" and appeal to kids, and given how bad DNF was I'm not going to be that optimistic about a remake either.

I still love the original FPS with all my heart though.

Some of the screenshots I mentioned:

dukenextweb1.jpg

dukenextweb4.jpg

dukenextweb5.jpg

dukedeathrowweb2.jpg

Bit dated now but for a fan made effort it added a nice dark atmosphere at the time.

Doge wrote: »
    Mind you, a fan called Frederik Schreiber got permission from Gearbox to do a Duke 3D remake back in 2010 called Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded, prior to the release of DNF, after attracting their attention with screenshots of his progress. But Gearbox allegedly f*cked him over.
    From the sounds of it, the "personal non-commercial" licence he received from Gearbox didn't extend to setting up a full blown studio to work on the title, nor would it have cover its publication he later alluded to. The later claim that it was so good that Gearbox got cagey after the negative reception to DNF and decided to cancel it is interesting though as awhile back a former developer on the project posted on the Duke4 forums commenting on the state of the project. The post and surrounding details were outlined on this post over on Neogaf.

If Gearbox were going to contract the game out to anyone, I'd love to see someone like the Flying Wild Hog guys get their hands on it anyway. Between Hard Reset and Shadow Warrior they've probably come closest to capturing that game feel in a modern title.

gizmo wrote: »
    From the sounds of it, the "personal non-commercial" licence he received from Gearbox didn't extend to setting up a full blown studio to work on the title, nor would it have cover its publication he later alluded to. The later claim that it was so good that Gearbox got cagey after the negative reception to DNF and decided to cancel it is interesting though as awhile back a former developer on the project posted on the Duke4 forums commenting on the state of the project. The post and surrounding details were outlined on this post over on Neogaf.

If Gearbox were going to contract the game out to anyone, I'd love to see someone like the Flying Wild Hog guys get their hands on it anyway. Between Hard Reset and Shadow Warrior they've probably come closest to capturing that game feel in a modern title.

I missed that thanks, shines a new light on the debacle.

That footage linked looks damn nice actually:

Looks like the site announcment has been a bigger failure than DNF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Damn, those alien bastards are going to pay for shooting up my game.

• Advertisement

Well since I've already paid for the Duke3D about 3 times over at this stage including the Megaton edition, I'll be acquiring those extra maps, because I'll be damned if i'll be shelling out 20 euro and paying for the game a 4th time. F*ck Gearbox.

Advertisement