Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need help with conflicting opinions on Regaine!

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

what hair means to a woman is completely different to a man. it defines their femininity and imo not comparable.

i was simply making the point that shaving ones head is the opposite to a combover..it shows you don't care about hair anymore (even if people can see a vague outline of a former hairline.)...in a lot of cases letting the stubble grow a bit can look cool a la jason statham

Comb over = attempt to mask bald pattern

Shaved head = attempt to mask bald pattern

Far from the opposite. I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

what hair means to a woman is completely different to a man. it defines their femininity and imo not comparable.

i was simply making the point that shaving ones head is the opposite to a combover..it shows you don't care about hair anymore (even if people can see a vague outline of a former hairline.)...in a lot of cases letting the stubble grow a bit can look cool a la jason statham

Sorry but thats a completely subjective opinion. Hair means a lot to me as a man and just because it doesn't to you doesn't mean it doesn't to me. And if I ever should happen to sport a combover if I feel like it then I think its ridiculous for you to mock me for it and not a woman wearing a wig

And the jason statham thing which I hear everyone break out to make balding men feel better is so stupid, he's a celebrity with great bone structure, we aint ever gonna look like him no matter how shaved our heads are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Saipanne wrote: »

we will agree to disagree i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

wakka12 wrote: »
    Sorry but thats a completely subjective opinion. Hair means a lot to me as a man and just because it doesn't to you doesn't mean it doesn't to me. And if I ever should happen to sport a combover if I feel like it then I think its ridiculous for you to mock me for it and not a woman wearing a wig

And the jason statham thing which I hear everyone break out to make balding men feel better is so stupid, he's a celebrity with great bone structure, we aint ever gonna look like him no matter how shaved our heads are

i dont think you can compare how women and men regard their hair.

there may be people that sport combovers because they feel like it but in my experience its mostly done because of fear of what people think of you and low confidence and that is pathetic imo.

the jason statham thing is not stupid. there are many other examples in pop culture of shaved heads being cool (regardless of bone structure)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

there may be people that sport combovers because they feel like it but in my experience its mostly done because of fear of what people think of you and low confidence and that is pathetic imo.

the jason statham thing is not stupid. there are many other examples in pop culture of shaved heads being cool (regardless of bone structure)

Without a strong jawline, I don't think the shaved head looks great.

And people shave their balding head out of fear of what others think. If they didn't care what others think, they wouldn't do anything, wouldn't they? No comb over, no shaved head, just a normal haircut with whatever hair they have. That's a confident person, one who just carries on regardless. No need for drastic changes like comb overs or shaved heads. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The average Irish man is pale, overweight and doesn't have good bone structure (cheekbones strong jaw etc), going bald is only going to make them get worse. You're really deluding yourself if you think shaving your head makes many, if any ,irish men hotter

And as I said before, plenty of men regard their hair similarly to how women do. Not all men and women think the exact same as groups, so its ridiculous to make fun of a man for trying to hide balding and not women

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Matthew McConaughey is doing interviews at the minute for his upcoming film Gold (for which he put on a couple of stone and shaved the top of his head) and during one of the interviews he was asked about his hair and oddly replied that he was losing his hair in the 90's and a natural product called Regenix helped him...

I actually remember a lot of magazines in the late 90's and early 00's having pics of him and circling his head showing where he was thinning and so seeing him with thick hair many times since over the years, I always assumed he had got a transplant. Indeed, I think many clickbait articles down the years have him listed as having done so and so it's quote interesting to hear him call bollox on that and highlight a natural product for what appears on the surface to be a turnaround on thinning hair.

Wish I'd known a month ago he was going to say this as I would have bought shares in the company. No idea of course if it's true or not but either way, you couldn't get better advertisement than a Hollywood star going on TV and endorsing your product. Watch their sales go through the proverbial roof and I see they haven't missed a trick and have a link to the interview on their homepage already.

http://www.regenix.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Total BS. Look at these photos - massive recession at the temples, whereas now, he sports a continuous hairline.

So this miracle product would not only have to hold onto existing hair (and in its own right be a revolutionary new treatment in that regard), but also magically, and rapidly, regrow and restore an already lost hairline (completely unheard of).

Total nonsense. Why he's so afraid to admit he had a transplant, I do not know.

mugshot-1999.jpg

Matthew%2BMcConaughey%2BHair%2BTransplant-3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Total BS. Look at these photos - massive recession at the temples, whereas now, he sports a continuous hairline.

So this miracle product would not only have to hold onto existing hair (and in its own right be a revolutionary new treatment in that regard), but also magically, and rapidly, regrow and restore an already lost hairline (completely unheard of).

Total nonsense. Why he's so afraid to admit he had a transplant, I do not know.

Absolutely. If this product was so effective then surely it would have as much, if not more, recognition then Regaine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Saipanne wrote: »

Ok, using that logic, everyone is masking something. I like to wear well fitted nice clothes. Is that because I'm trying to mask how I look in ill fitting ugly clothes? If guys go to the gym and become well built and better looking are they masking how they look without exercise? If someone clearly looks better with a shaved head vs how they look with thick side and back hair but nothing on top, then it's about wanting to personally look better and not masking anything. Accusing them of lacking self confidence is disingenuous. They shave because they feel it is aesthetically better.

No one should be criticised for going for the shave option nor should they if they want to invest in restoration products. I can't help wondering if some posters from conflicting camps are projecting their own issues, otherwise why so hostile and critical of what others choose to do as s form of self improvement??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Passenger wrote: »
    Absolutely. If this product was so effective then surely it would have as much, if not more, recognition then Regaine.
    That would be my thinking too. The hairloss industry and demand for products that actually might work is a multi billion dollar one. If this worked that effectively it would be in every shop or pharmacy in the developed world. Caveat; maybe he is being honest and it did work for him. It is possible his hairloss responded to whatever was in this product or a regime associated with it, because his hairloss was less about the usual testosterone genetic susceptibility and more about I dunno, a scalp condition that made the hair in those place(which seems to be the "weakest") stop growing. I personally suspect that the testosterone explanation is too wide an explanation. I recall reading of studies that suggested that diffuse hairloss and hairloss at the crown in men(and women) was accelerated by lifestyle influences like diet, scalp irritation, cardiovascular health, even diabetes. That whatever tendency was present this was realised more quickly if the subject wasn't as healthy as they might be. IIRC Part Deux, the hair at the front didn't seem to be nearly as affected and was more genetically influenced.
    ongarboy wrote: »
    Ok, using that logic, everyone is masking something.
    As humans we pretty much are. It's part of what makes us human.
    Wish I'd known a month ago he was going to say this as I would have bought shares in the company.
    You and me both Sir, you and me both. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,052 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I have read couple of places about Men going to Turkey to get hair transplant cause its meant be very cheap.

More and more Irish men seem to be making the trip too

I have read couple of places about Men going to Turkey to get hair transplant cause its meant be very cheap.

More and more Irish men seem to be making the trip too

Aye, for a fraction of the cost of getting it done here. Plus there's a couple of doctors over there who are doing the latest noninvasive techniques for hair restoration. It's a no brainer really if you're considering a transplant. It's still expensive but only relatively speaking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 ttrrzz

Take this from someone with the exact same experience as you ( young 20's also ).
    I went through the same dilema you are doing now. I researched everything , trust me. If its your hair you want to keep , get better and thicker , then unfortunately there is no magic formula to do so. the only solution is transplant. It sucks to hear , but ill try break it down for you to give u a heads up.
    Don't bother taking any of the tablets people are saying here. they are all placebo.

1: start taking saw palmetto( get them on amazon , i got the 3000mg one's for cheap ) . This is a natural DHT blocker. its healthy . It wont grow knew hair but will stop/really slow down the hair loss if taken daily.

2: The only other tablets i take to help promote hair growth is Viviscal. you get them in only health store. Little expensive but once again no side effects and i find they tend to work quite well

3: Get Nioxin hair system kit number 2 . Its just a shampoo but really helps brings the thickness out in your hair and makes the hair a lot stronger.

4: Have a look into longevita. They act as a proxy between you and the hair transplant clinic in turkey. They are amazing. Dont even bother looking into treatment in ireland. Its a rip off. And the cheaper places in ireland just fly in the doctors from turkey anyways to preform the procedure. Ireland your looking at anywhere between 10,000-20,000 . Longevita is only 2500( including flights , hotel , transport ). I wont bother going into details unless you want them , but i did it last year and even though results are not fully seen till nearly a year after , so patients is required , but it was one of the best decisions i ever made and defo changed me life for the better , as i was very self conscience about my hair ( it was bad )

Dont take advice from people who dont have the experience. As i said , for male pattern baldness , there is no magic shampoo or pill that alone , will make everything hunky dorey. Its just the truth

ttrrzz wrote: »
    4: Have a look into longevita. They act as a proxy between you and the hair transplant clinic in turkey. They are amazing. Dont even bother looking into treatment in ireland. Its a rip off. And the cheaper places in ireland just fly in the doctors from turkey anyways to preform the procedure. Ireland your looking at anywhere between 10,000-20,000 . Longevita is only 2500( including flights , hotel , transport ). I wont bother going into details unless you want them , but i did it last year and even though results are not fully seen till nearly a year after , so patients is required , but it was one of the best decisions i ever made and defo changed me life for the better , as i was very self conscience about my hair ( it was bad )

Where were you on the Norwood scale and how many follicular units did you need transplanted? Did you have the FUE?

Passenger wrote: »
    Where were you on the Norwood scale and how many follicular units did you need transplanted? Did you have the FUE?
    I say i was a Norwood scale 4... my crown was deffo bad.. part of my fringe was still there. but a gap between it and the middle. Yeye FUE. i don't think they really do FUT anymore. the scar from it is just awful and noticeable They gave me 3000. think thats really the max they can do in one session. The harvesting area on the back of my head was pretty big from it. couldn't imagine them being able to get much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

ttrrzz wrote:
    I say i was a Norwood scale 4... my crown was deffo bad.. part of my fringe was still there. but a gap between it and the middle. Yeye FUE. i don't think they really do FUT anymore. the scar from it is just awful and noticeable They gave me 3000. think thats really the max they can do in one session. The harvesting area on the back of my head was pretty big from it. couldn't imagine them being able to get much more.

Are you taking finasteride? They say that only experience sides but unfortunately I was part of that unlucky group. I may go down this route down the line, but I've read that you're supposed to take finasteride after the procedure

Are you taking finasteride? They say that only experience sides but unfortunately I was part of that unlucky group. I may go down this route down the line, but I've read that you're supposed to take finasteride after the procedure
    they did recommend taking propecia never took it. As i said , anything that can cause pretty big side effects will just do more harm than good. there is no need for it. I said to them im just going to take saw palmetto which was a DHT blocker and they seemed pretty happy with that . Funny thing is propecia can increase the chances of prostate cancer , saw palmetto reduces it.

ttrrzz wrote: »
    they did recommend taking propecia never took it. As i said , anything that can cause pretty big side effects will just do more harm than good. there is no need for it. I said to them im just going to take saw palmetto which was a DHT blocker and they seemed pretty happy with that . Funny thing is propecia can increase the chances of prostate cancer , saw palmetto reduces it.

Incidentally I asked my GP his opinion on Finasteride and he said he wouldn't recommend it at all for a young man experiencing male pattern baldness. The side effects are just too severe and he has only ever prescribed it to prostate cancer sufferers whom were mostly all elderly men. It appears that people who promote Finasteride all have a vested interest in the hairloss industry. You probably took the safest route regarding post-op care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Phoenix Wright

Passenger wrote:
    Incidentally I asked my GP his opinion on Finasteride and he said he wouldn't recommend it at all for a young man experiencing male pattern baldness. The side effects are just too severe and he has only ever prescribed it to prostate cancer sufferers whom were mostly all elderly men. It appears that people who promote Finasteride all have a vested interest in the hairloss industry. You probably took the safest route regarding post-op care.

Unfortunately, I can attest to the side effects of finasteride. I did research over the entire duration of the summer and monitored the progress of people that started it on hair loss forums and YouTube. Eventually I decided to take the plunge because I'm only 22 and I wanted to maintain my Norwood 2.5. They say 2% experience sexual sides and unfortunately I was part of that unlucky group. I only took it for a week and tried lowering the dosage but it almost rendered me impotent. It took about two months after the medication to return to normal. I'm sure the psychological element of the medication affected me too - I knew when things were about to go wrong and my girlfriend would sense it too. I'm sure it would work okay for others and I'm not sure the outrage against it is totally justified. I just personally had a negative experience, though I'm happy I tried it to remove all doubts. Incidentally, minoxidil (medical term for rogaine) literally caused me to have nightmares every night and I stopped because it was affecting me in college. I probably will try it again in May, at least it didn't cause any sexual sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

It works, been using it for 15 years. works better with nizoral and avodart, the triple whack, Ive basically the same hair for the last ten years :)

Thank froook for science!! who wants to go bald young... your mates and peeps say :rolleyes: Just shave it, Twas a different story when 2 of my mates who said "shave it" started losing theirs :D:D:D

They aint laughing now!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

I am using Rogaine, Finasteride and Nizoral for the past 6 months. Quite easy to use all three. Split the pill into four. Rogaine at night only and Nizoral twice a week. It is what was recommended to be in HCBR. No sides at all really. At the start I did think I was getting ED but it was all in my head. When my gf told me about other times I was fine etc I realised that it was all psychological. Any questions and you can PM me.

I think it was 250 initial consulation plus another 250-300 maybe for a years supply of all three. Yearly checkups are 80 euro. I have definetly noticed my hair is more thicker and looks better. I wasnt bad before. Just the early stages (balding at temples etc). Haven grown back any yet as far as I can tell but its early days.

Like some have mentioned the sexual problems occur in roughly 2% but in the placebo test carried out at the same time, something like 1.2% suffered from ED. So negligible difference if any.

AFAIK, with hair transplants you have to take finasteride. Otherwise the hair behind the newly implanted hair will fall out and you will be left with only hair at the front of your head.

Advertisement