Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I just caught the tail end of that talk but was it not to do with old historic buildings like castles? I'm not sure about somewhere like Trim Castle having half of the stone walls being rebuilt with modern material to recreate something new. I'm not saying I'm against it, but I'm just so used to seeing old ruinous buildings maintained in that condition. Is it the norm on the continent or elsewhere to reconstruct these kinds of buildings?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,753 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Do it properly, not PVC Paddy jerry-build.

What the OPW do here is terrible, slapping modern concrete over everything. Newgrange after all is a work of imagination and concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

What's going on with the new newsreader? Sounds like a robot with an Australian accent

Sean Moncreiff interviewing some dude about his personal experience with an oligarch and their relationship with 'Pootin'.

Oh, Yelsin was really really incompetent when he was premier of russian federation.

- Right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

Pat Kenny going into meltdown mode talking to Paul Reid just now.

Feel sorry for Paul. Trying to calmly explain what is going on in hospitals and Pat interrupting and switching subject without letting Reid answer.

Think PK needs to take a break and enjoy the good weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Newstalk's social media people libeling Joanne Rowling there this morning.

Quite a few people on the thread intending to ensure her legal people get a good look at the tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Ciara Kelly in typically obnoxious and bullying mode now while discussing article 41.1 of the constitution. Won't let her guest (Lorraine Courtney) talk, shouts her opinions at the expense of all others. She flagged her performance in advance at the start of the show when she said "I already feel myself getting triggered"

Ah shur no-one watches or is interested in the America's Cup, put money into the auld hurlin'. Starved of money so it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

In fairness Lorraine was obviously poorly prepared and easily rattled which considering Ciara wouldn't even be considered one of the harder hitting interviewers is kinda embarrassing.

Also her whole idea was absurd, removing 41.1 wont have any effect on childcare or women looking after kids etc like she was claiming it would.

I'd agree with most of that. It's the belligerent showboating g attitude that annoys me. Being Devil's advocate is one thing but there is often more profit in letting the guest speak to expose the flaws in their arguments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Not strictly a Newstalk topic - but I just heard Moore McDowell on the Business Show, and my goodness he sounds awful!

He lectured me in Economics in UCD, a long time ago, and he wasn't young then, so he must be a ripe old age now - but he can still talk in economic riddles that leave my head spinning, so he must be doing alright all the same!

I loved his lectures (and they were at 9am on a Saturday morning 😱), hope he's ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

"Belligerent showboating" is hands down the best description of Ciara's broadcasting style I have ever heard - bravo!! 👏👏

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Shane Coleman as usual defending Govt. shenanigans again this morning on Newstalk, describing the Holohan affair as "a storm in a tea cup".

Hugh Wallace having a hissy-fit on Newstalk breakfast over criticism of The Great House Revival. ."I didn't interrupt you. I was informed beforehand you wouldn't talk to me"

He was right with his hissy fit.

Bloody do gooders trying to interfere with people's decisions as to what they do with their private property.

People in this country are ignorant about old houses and can't be trusted not to knock holes in and stick stupid stuff on them.

If they own the house and it's not a protected structure, then carry on.

What business is it of yours?

It's the owners I feel sorry for. Once Hugh, his architect mates and the production crew arrive - it's budgts and compromises out the window . It's all about their"vision" and the fabulous transfoemation at the end. What the poor schmicks who own the house wanted is only a minor concern.

Lets be honest here he had a hissy fit because people dont like the houses he designed, which instantly makes him a twat, then add on that whole comment about "I was told you wouldnt talk to me" and hes now a contemptible fragile man child.

Gun laws are different in other countries shocker on NT Breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,406 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Mary-Lou on NT earlier talking about a SF rep on RTE television "I did not see the programme, I was on the BBC" 😃

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I got a lot of enjoyment hearing Ciara Kelly calling Mary Lou out for their soft stance on Russia. Very enjoyable 😂

Their website blog posts still coincidentally missing from the "site upgrade" and she claims all those stories are still out there because nothing is ever wiped from the internet, so basically people have to scour for whatever traces SF werent able to delete to find the truth of their historical position on russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Had to throw my eyes to heaven this morning with her thinly veiled "I'm a hot thing" comment in terms of when she was told by somebody in media that "Gosh, you are very good looking in real life compared to tv".

Did anyone else catch that conspiracy theory nutjob councilor from Clare just before 8am? Insists that the Irish government of which his party is a part of (FF) has a secret agenda to enact population control on rural villages, towns and counties all based on the removal of free for all planning in those areas. I do wonder if hes ever noticed the vast majority of his parties TDs come from rural areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭NOG92

Vincent Wall on NT Breakfast this past week has been a tonic. I always enjoyed his show at the weekend. His calm, balanced style of broadcasting, coupled with a sharp intellect made his show a hidden gem in the schedule. I found his stint this week to be a welcome break from the faux, contrived fighting between Shane and Ciara each morning where they always seem to take opposing sides on even the most banal of topics. If anyone from Marconi House is reading, can you please make a permanent fixture?

A welcome break from Dr Kelly checking herself out in the mirror and making every second story about herself.

I was going to say this earlier. Vincent is so easy to listen to. No virtue signalling, no pontificating, no showboating, no being deliberatly provocative. Perhaps that's the issue - they are relying ann all of the above to drive the 30 cent text line revenue

Lunchtime Live right now.

What a dose.

• Advertisement

I think he's ok.

One of the better talk show hosts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement