Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scrapyard in Kilcock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd imagine this wasn't an isolated incident and that the staff member had a fair idea of the strokes lads will pull.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭JP 1800

I stopped using that outfit a long time ago, I see that the attitude of the guys behind the counter hasn't changed. They pull prices from their backside and as mentioned you have difficulty with haggling, at times the prices requested are equal to or surpass new oem parts. I find that Traynors on the other hand are very helpful and a pleasure to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Kilcock is fantastic in that theres such a selection should you need a random part.
    However very expensive for the parts that you need

But yes, dodgy as **** and Id agree with your summary of the staff members. Gives an impression of the owners with the staff thats there. Lets just say I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Gas thing is I was down there three weeks ago for a hand break from a ford Galaxy. And the lads couldn't of been more helpful. And was impressed at how it was run. Maybe you just caught them on a bad day plus I'd imagine they'd get quite few chancers in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,744 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Whilst these lads are rough and ready from your description these lads were stealing parts as they had electronics in their pockets and 'found' a radiator in a boot.

The old found a radiator for an e60 in a boot of an e46.

Sure that's the place I'd be looking for and e60 radiator.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Yeah, oh it's from an e60? I'll still take it for my e46

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Its 10 years since I was in that breakers yard,but back then it was grand,nice staff,fair prices etc.Hearing youre story would put me off going back there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Fairly mild compared to what I've seen happen there over the years and nothing compared to what I've seen in northern scrapyards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Your paying for the convenience with local scrappers. I'm all for giving Irish business my trade, but I refuse to be knowingly screwed over and even though I still give local scrappers first query, I've unfortunately found 90% of the time uk breakers are cheaper by a wide margin, even including postage costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,744 ✭✭✭✭listermint

pcardin wrote: »
    So you were there too?

Who can say it wasn't? And what's so surprising about radiator in the boot though? I walked around there myself looking for a part I needed and many cars had boots and interiors filled with random parts from other makes/models. Didn't surprise me at all.

As for the pockets, didn't see that. The one that bold knacker was molesting didn't had anything in his pockets. Myself, on the other hand, had my broken part in my pocket that I foolishly have taken with me to compare numbers and everything on spot in case I find it. Jayzz, what would have happened to me if I was pick-pocketed by these two gangsters.

You seemed to indicate one of them had electrical wires in his pockets.

And no people don't generally go to get an e46 radiator then get an e60 radiator and decide they'll take it anyway.

Whatever about the way the planks at the till handled the situation, everything you said indicates the two boys were trying to pull a fast one. Something I've seen a few times out there. Not surprised the staff are tired of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

I've always went to Kilcock and had a great experience with the staff there but they do look fairly dodgy. Let's face it - they allow customers to go and hunt parts themselves and I'd say a lot of customers either tell them the part comes from a ****ty car or they knick the part if it's small enough. If you take the piss be prepared to get the same back!

I think I've dealt with the "McGregor wannabe" most and I couldn't say much bad about him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Does he use phrases like whoop ass?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I've dealt with them several times. The older grey haired (balding) fella has been running it for years. I've found him abrupt but helpful if you are straight with him. And I actually like the fact you can root around, very few places let you do that now. But things have changed in the last few years...As for their reputation, all I can say is there are several stories about of 'taking matters into their own hands'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

It's a scrapyard - what are you expecting?

And as for the guy who was stealing a number plate, well anyone who could second guess why that could be handy for criminal activity, and what repercussions that could bring for the yard so I'm not surprised by the reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Saw a fella get a big old bunch of keys to the face in there one day, he had tried to steal a pocket full of bmw sensors while paying for a couple of bullshīt nuts and bolts.

The only language a lot of the clients in there speak is scum, so they have to be met with the very same or else the scrapyard gets cleaned out.

If you don't like rough coonts, don't go to a scrap yard!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I think it's a great place. Don't give lip, and they won't open their mouth to you. Been twice recently, no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Had a completely opposite experience to the Op the last time I was there.
    Needed a steering rack for an e46 and the guy brought me down on a forklift with him.told me he knew of a nice clean one.
    Brought it to the shed and helped me get it off.
    When I went to the counter to pay they said 120 and we settled on 100.
    Had the craic with any of the staff I was talking to and got licked all over by the guard dog.
    Couldn't say a bad word about the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

I've only used kilcock once very recently I was stuck for abs module for BMW even got a receipt 75 euro. That was a good price. Fitted later that day programmed to car, passed NCT 3 days later. Great result.

In contrast to breaker yards on Greenhill road Tallaght who are very expensive and wouldn't have as many parts. It was these breaker yards that put me off buying in yards as eBay and UK breakers where often 1/2 the price even including postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Lads working in a scrapyard are never going to be genteel.Wtf do people expect?

"Good afternoon sir,welcome to Kilcock Breakers yard.
    Please take your time to peruse our vast range of products and should you require any assistance please do not hesitate to ask any of our highly trained staff.
    Enjoy your Kilcock experience and don't forget to sign our visitors book "

Lads working in a scrapyard are never going to be genteel.Wtf do people expect?

"Good afternoon sir,welcome to Kilcock Breakers yard.
    Please take your time to peruse our vast range of products and should you require any assistance please do not hesitate to ask any of our highly trained staff.
    Enjoy your Kilcock experience and don't forget to sign our visitors book "

They were actually closed down one Saturday a month or so ago for staff training. Dunno what they were trained though, martial arts probably :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

I can only imagine the kind of crap they have to deal with every day. I seen one of them open a tool box and loads of parts being robbed, they didnt take too kindly to that. I use them quite a bit and find them 100%, if you dont bull**** them they are grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Kilcock have a certain issue with a section of society constantly trying to pull tricks, I've seen it many a time.

robbing number plates - for stealing cars / cloning cars, find a crashed one of the same model and colour.

people telling fibs about what car parts are from - to be fair , their business is selling parts, an e60 intercooler is worth more than an e46 one.

the parts are in stock there and then, unlike ebay. it can be expensive but you can haggle too.

Ive always found with them, be honest about what you've taken , be realistic with the haggling (just round down by 20-25%, don't mention ebay or micksgarage) and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

That's odd that customers are allowed look for parts themselves. I'd have no time for that.

I go to a breakers in Ballina.

Enter shop> tell staff what part you need> buy part> Good luck.

I expect the breakers job would be to have the parts to save me the hassle of looking for stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Sounds like the 'customers' were members of a minority ethnic group and staff knew exactly what they were at. These type of people will take a mile if given an inch and from experience the only way to deal with them is the way the staff in Kilcock did. It's the only way they get the message.

job seeker wrote: »
    That's odd that customers are allowed look for parts themselves. I'd have no time for that.

I go to a breakers in Ballina.

Enter shop> tell staff what part you need> buy part> Good luck.

I expect the breakers job would be to have the parts to save me the hassle of looking for stuff.

You're missing a whole lot of fun so!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

shietpilot wrote: »

that scrapyard is a lot of fun , occasionally an e38 shows up with some option I don't have, so out with the tools I go.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+100 I remember a time.. *screen goes all wavy. Cue harps playing*... when all scrapyards were like that. You'd go in and wander around with a couple of spanners and a gleam in your eye for the part you wanted. And the beefy bonus of the part you didn't think you wanted but was on a higher spec version of your car so you now just had to have. God be with the days when I climbed up the side of car stacks to get to what I wanted three cars up. Health and safety? Are you healthy enough to make the climb? Sure it looks safe enough. #nostalgia. Good to hear there's a scrapyard kinda like that left.

Oh and I can well see why they'd be cagey with some muppets. I've seen chancers of all backgrounds push their luck and try to rob scrappies blind. I always found if you were honest they were always cool.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Yeah it's cool to be let in to a car grave yard ant watch them hack off anything of value off them before they're crushed
    Like previous have said if your straight with them they'll return the manner they sent two lads down with me to get a part out I hadn't a hope of getting out myself lifted the car up in the rack and pulled off the exhaust to release the hand break mechanism took them a good half hour to get it out an only charged me 40€ ( even got to pet the dog)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

To anyone who grew up in Kilcock, this place hasn't changed at all. Special Branch paid a visit there at the height of the troubles. I tend to avoid it and go to traynors or Ebay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

So you mention the staff are knackers 4 times and from the looks of it people were trying to rip off the staff?
    Riiiight.
    I'll be honest as well and say I somewhat doubt that's how it actually played out with the full on swearing and punching.
    Even still one lad walking away with a number plate and another bull****ting about a part is hardly something you'd be grand with.
    Especially the number plate eejit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement