Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating Stinky food on Public Transport

Options
  • 20-08-2016 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,738 ✭✭✭✭

I see a poster last time I was on the London Tube asking passengers to politely refrain from eating stinky food on Public Transport (I presume kebabs/burgers and the like)

Anyone see any posters over here in Ireland asking passengers to refrain from eating stinky food on public transport? - I dont recall seeing anything meself - what do you think anyway , would it work? , would people take heed?

- does it bother you personally if your on a train or bus or something and someone alights with a dirty stinking kebab with extra onions?

Are you an offender - if so what do you eat when your travelling on public transport?

its just a bit of fun by the way im not judging anyone, live and let live and all that , different strokes for different folks :D (have to put this disclaimer because it seems I easily offend some people with my threads on here LOL)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hard to know, with me it's either all or nothing, those drinking manky smelling coffee are as bad as those having a kebab.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,738 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Hard to know, with me it's either all or nothing, those drinking manky smelling coffee are as bad as those having a kebab.

true that, coffee reeks too.

You got to feel a bit I suppose with some people who suffer from travel sickness or who are ill maybe - these strong smelling stuff could tip em over the edge an cause them puke up ... that would put you off your kebab or egg and onion sandwiches! ....

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

kettle on, just waiting for the garlic militia to post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Once they share its fine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I was on a bus journey recently, person behind opened up something to eat and the smell was horrible.
    I don't know what they were eating, but why couldn't they eat some fruit which would not stink the place out...

Sardine sandwiches that had been (probably) several hours out of the fridge, I had to move seat. Good thing the train wasn't full!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

I quite often have to grab some food for a bus journey as I don't have time to get something to eat beforehand or when I arrive at my destination. Being a veggie with loads of allergies I usually am quite limited and often end up having no choice but an egg and onion sandwich. I always feel so guilty eating it on the bus but feel I have no option.

Sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

its a funny topic, something i havent thought of until recently having read complaints and clickbait articles about it. not a regular public transport user myself.

i thought it was just the jealousy of hungry passengers at the sight of others indulging, but the smelly stuff like egg and cheesy crisps, i can understand. i hate watching people eat sloppy sandwiches with the likes of coleslaw and sauce in them, you know when it goes all over their mouth....gross. love my privacy when im eating, the less around the better.

the fact the buses and trains are shared areas where there is nothing you can really do, makes it worse.

What about when you're hungry and fancy a mcdonalds or something a bit strong smelling on the bus?

i think its a case of ''its ok when I do it'', like farting, and hating other peoples children.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/5e/c5/a2/5ec5a2f8cfaff8ad2af28e213c358c7d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Buy a car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I hopped on a train in Colchester years ago & immediately got the unpleasant waft of egg sandwiches.

So I got up and walked to the other end of a pretty empty carriage. Turned out the two birds tucking into their eggy goodness were travellers & they unleashed a volley of abuse at me, in the mistaken belief t'was their caravanning ways I had taken exception to.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I hopped on a train in Colchester years ago & immediately got the unpleasant waft of egg sandwiches.

So I got up and walked to the other end of a pretty empty carriage. Turned out the two birds tucking into their eggy goodness were travellers & they unleashed a volley of abuse at me, in the mistaken belief t'was their caravanning ways I had taken exception to.
    Travellers in Colchester! on a train, Must've been going to Jaywick!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,291 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It doesn't bother me, if someone is hungry their hungry. Smokers are just as bad!

It doesn't bother me, if someone is hungry their hungry. Smokers are just as bad!
    You can't get second hand lung cancerous smoke from sardine sandwiches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

There is supposed to be no food or drinks consumed on the luas(except maybe bottles of water?),

Hot food and beverages are forbidden on most bus services particularly bus eireann and Dublin bus but also on most privately owned scheduled services.

You can eat and drind what you want on the trains but it must not interfere with other passengers comfort and enjoyment of the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

I think its fine for someone to eat something on a long bus journey, over an hour.

No one complains if people eat on a plane.. So what's the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

foggy_lad wrote: »
    There is supposed to be no food or drinks consumed on the luas(except maybe bottles of water?),

Hot food and beverages are forbidden on most bus services particularly bus eireann and Dublin bus but also on most privately owned scheduled services.

You can eat and drind what you want on the trains but it must not interfere with other passengers comfort and enjoyment of the journey.

Since when has Dublin bus ever enforced a no eating rule? I've never seen a sign up to that effect.

was on early sligo to Dublin iarnrod eireann train years ago it was something like 6.30am , and this old couple of codgers sitting adjacent to me pulled out a couple of boiled eggs and started to peel them and eat them and some sandwiches which smelt like they had onions in them .... they stunk! (the old people and the eggs) couldnt move seats unfortunately - nearly hurled! - you could tell the way they peeled the eggs and laid all their stuff out on the table that they were regular offenders LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 12,104 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

was on early sligo to Dublin iarnrod eireann train years ago it was something like 6.30am , and this old couple of codgers sitting adjacent to me pulled out a couple of boiled eggs and started to peel them and eat them and some sandwiches which smelt like they had onions in them .... they stunk! (the old people and the eggs) couldnt move seats unfortunately - nearly hurled! - you could tell the way they peeled the eggs and laid all their stuff out on the table that they were regular offenders LOL

Ah in fairness Andy, there's no rule against what they did. Its pretty common on trains with the older brigade. As for the younger brigade. On a train to your part of the world many years ago, I had just bought a sambo, when the couple at the opposite table decided to change their babys nappy ON THE TABLE! A big pamper full of ****e. The fooking smell! Daddy rambled down the carriage to, I kid you not, fook it out the window!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I still hate (and probably always will hate) cheese and onion crisps after being stuck on a long bus journey with a classmate eating the horrible things in hot weather. (Mind you, I always have tended to travel sickness anyway, but those things didn't help). Stank the bus out. It's still my abiding memory of that particular classmate too, come to think of it.

• Advertisement

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Ah in fairness Andy, there's no rule against what they did. Its pretty common on trains with the older brigade. As for the younger brigade. On a train to your part of the world many years ago, I had just bought a sambo, when the couple at the opposite table decided to change their babys nappy ON THE TABLE! A big pamper full of ****e. The fooking smell! Daddy rambled down the carriage to, I kid you not, fook it out the window!

eeeeew! - yes that beats the eggs lol , you win :D

Samaris wrote: »
    I still hate (and probably always will hate) cheese and onion crisps after being stuck on a long bus journey with a classmate eating the horrible things in hot weather. (Mind you, I always have tended to travel sickness anyway, but those things didn't help). Stank the bus out. It's still my abiding memory of that particular classmate too, come to think of it.

yeah crisps do waft ... have you smelt someone eating wotsits cheesy puff's? - smell like smelly sweaty sock's so they do! <puke emoticon>

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

not so long ago, sitting at the back of a very full bus (i usually aim for the top coz of motion sickness) and these two ones in front of me took out egg n onion sambos folllowed but cheese and onion crisps. the fcuking stink. and it just lingered. and the heating was on.

gercoral wrote: »
    not so long ago, sitting at the back of a very full bus (i usually aim for the top coz of motion sickness) and these two ones in front of me took out egg n onion sambos folllowed but cheese and onion crisps. the fcuking stink. and it just lingered. and the heating was on.

But egg and onion sambos with cheese and onion crisps are classic!

Whats the problem!

I know I know...in a confined space. WTF happened to aircon????

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭gercoral

Grandeeod wrote: »
    But egg and onion sambos with cheese and onion crisps are classic!

Whats the problem!

I know I know...in a confined space. WTF happened to aircon????

haha defo delish in a well vented public space! but ya, the fecking heating was on (was in evening but not even cold), no air con on. and the heat was coming up from the sides, which nearly makes it worse for some reason

gercoral wrote: »
    haha defo delish in a well vented public space! but ya, the fecking heating was on (was in evening but not even cold), no air con on. and the heat was coming up from the sides, which nearly makes it worse for some reason

Sounds horrific! The vented heat stream would just push the smell everywhere as I can imagine it did. I like the egg and onion with crisps combo, but I must admit I haven't tasted or smelled it after it has been consumed on a misused bus.

Do we not do aircon in Ireland??? Its not just about heat/temp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Its better than the smell of most of the passengers....

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MRedd

I rememeber on dublin bus some woman was eating cheese crisps and it really stank and made noise. I got so mad I nearly told her to eat when she gets off.

Funny thing when you eat those things or kebab it doesnt stink to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Bags of popcorn seem to be popular with the office types on the bus home about 17:30. But while popcorn stinks its the licking/sucking of the fingers after every mouthful that makes me want to put them through the window..

That and the **** music they have at full whack..

Everyone who travels by bus has had one behind them..

• Advertisement

I must have sensitive nose or something, one thing that makes me feel nauseus is the smell of middle aged to old codger (:)) perfume , especially if its a very strong overpowering sickly sweet scent on public transport (well even not on public transport, anywhere really) ... in that case i think I would rather smell their sweat (sorry women dont sweat I have just remembered , they perspire dont they?)

Advertisement