Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Werewolf/Mafia forum game - sign up thread.

• 18-08-2016 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭

Want to see if there's any interest in a game of werewolf/Mafia?

It's a very simple game that I've played on numerous other forums in the past and they can be really good fun as well as getting really intense believe it or not.

The game

Ideally we'd have around 20/21 players.

At the beginning of the game each player is given a 'role' at random and in secret by myself, the moderator, via PM. Those roles are Villager (good) and Werewolf (evil).

The villagers will greatly outnumber the werewolves — in a 21 player game for example there will only be ~3 werewolves — and the aim of the villagers is to identify and kill all the werewolves before the werewolves can kill enough villagers so that (#of wolves = #of villagers).

Once a player is killed, either by public vote or by Wolves slaughtering them they are removed from the game and may not post in the thread.

How are players killed?

Each 'turn' of the game will last 24hrs and also represents one 'day' of gametime, thus a game will go on for several days before it is concluded. There are two 'phases' to every turn of the game;

Night Phase - 10pm to 10am: When the werewolves secretly decide among themselves, via private off thread communication, which villager (one per night) that they shall kill and thus remove from the game.

Day Phase - 10am to 10pm: After the slaughter has been announced, everybody, villagers and werewolves alike, discusses and ultimately votes upon which player (one per day) that they shall lynch and kill.

Obviously during the day the villagers will want the group to vote for and kill a werewolf, whilst the werewolves themselves will want not to be lynched; herein lies the fundamental strategy of the game; can the villagers identify the werewolves whilst at the same time convincing the rest of the group that they're not themselves a werewolf? And can the werewolves convince the group that they're not wolves at all and thus avoid being lynched?

Special Roles

To help the villagers out in their decision, some of them will be given special roles, there will be one of each per game. These roles are as follows:

Seer: the seer has the ability to PM the moderator once per turn and ask him 'Is X a werewolf?' to which the moderator will answer truthfully yes or no.

Priest: the priest will learn the roles of any players killed in the game.

Witness: the witness selects another player (has to be different each turn) to follow, if that player is killed during the night then the witness learns the identity of one of the werewolves. If the witness selects a werewolf then he/she learns nothing, because werewolves are too crafty to be followed, and if he ever does witness a killing then he becomes, for the remainder of the game, a normal villager.

Players given these roles can announce them to the group if so desired, as can any player announce anything to the group really (in a game of Werewolf lying and deception is encouraged), but beware, doing so would likely make you a prime target for slaughter.

Roster
    1. The Dazzler
    2. Persepoly
    3. dobman88
    4. The Valeyard
    5. Andy125
    6. MrsFlushdraw
    7. MicksJaguar
    8. KERSPLAT!
    9. Fleawuss
    10. Uriel.
    11. ShatterProof
    12. suffering golfer
    13. sullivlo (limited access for a few days)
    14. Kylo Ren
    15. El Hombre
    16. boneyarsebogman
    17. Digital Solitude
    18. mahamageehad
    19. Poochie05
    20. tritium
    21. Ficheall

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Nb. I have a few rules to iron out for this game if it goes ahead, and I'd have to speak with a mod about certain aspects like off-forum discussion and the likes.

Edit: Also, please DO NOT sign up if you are unwilling to commit to playing a game that could last days. You only have to be online for a little while each day but that is the minimum commitment.

I'd be keen

Me too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Capajoma

Try this http://blankmediagames.com/TownOfSalem/

Similar, free and very addictive once you learn the roles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

I'm in. Starting holidays on Saturday so why not

• Advertisement

Capajoma wrote: »
    Try this http://blankmediagames.com/TownOfSalem/

Similar, free and very addictive once you learn the roles.

I've played elsewhere dozens of times and it's brilliant fun if you can get enough people active in the thread. One thing we did in the other forum I played first was to theme the games just to add in some fun. I might do that for this one or I might keep it very very simple to begin with the first game and then complicate it in subsequent games once people know what the story is.

You fancy playing Capajoma?

Also, if anyone has any questions about the game please feel free to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Jayop wrote: »
    Also, if anyone has any questions about the game please feel free to ask.

Are there prizes

Are there prizes

A great deal of satisfaction if you're on the winning team. :)

I know the GOAT werewolf player. Can we temporarily lift a ban to get him in?

• Advertisement

dobman88 wrote: »
    I know the GOAT werewolf player. Can we temporarily lift a ban to get him in?

Rereg....

I didn't say that! :)

Come on Tom. Give it a lash!

Rereg....

I didn't say that! :)

Lol. I'm gonna unfollow this thread. Send me a PM when youre starting it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,645 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I'm a vampire! I'm a vampire! I'm a vampire! I'm a vampire! I'm a vampire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Come on Tom. Give it a lash!

I won't. ....I'll not have Internet access for abit and the PM function for me is constantly full/crashes on touch site

Wish everyone who participates the best.....never knew such a thing went on

I'm a vampire! I'm a vampire! I'm a vampire! I'm a vampire! I'm a vampire!

Just werewolves to begin with, although Werewolves VS Vampires is cool for a more complicated game down the line.

I won't. ....I'll not have Internet access for abit and the PM function for me is constantly full/crashes on touch site

Wish everyone who participates the best.....never knew such a thing went on

No bother. I'll probably not use the PM's much apart from handing out the roles and answering questions people have. The real stuff goes on off forum and again that only happens if you're one of the special roles.

No bother. I'll probably not use the PM's much apart from handing out the roles and answering questions people have. The real stuff goes on off forum and again that only happens if you're one of the special roles.

How do you mean "off forum"? By email?

How do you mean "off forum"? By email?

No, that's much too clunky. Ideally we'd have a completely stand alone forum where we can talk similar to boards.ie. For the purpose of this first game though I'll use something like this. https://www.quicktopic.com/

You basically register and you'll have access to a private thread set up by me in which you can talk to the other wolves if that's your role.

The only people who need to do that are the wolves.

edit: Just so we're clear, the actual game is played here on boards.ie and that is where the vast majority of posting goes on.

No, that's much too clunky. Ideally we'd have a completely stand alone forum where we can talk similar to boards.ie. For the purpose of this first game though I'll use something like this. https://www.quicktopic.com/

You basically register and you'll have access to a private thread set up by me in which you can talk to the other wolves if that's your role.

The only people who need to do that are the wolves.

edit: Just so we're clear, the actual game is played here on boards.ie and that is where the vast majority of posting goes on.

Ah I get you now. How much time should we spend on it each day? Hours?

• Advertisement

Ah I get you now. How much time should we spend on it each day? Hours?

It's all up to the individual. I've played games where people have hundreds of posts per day and others have ten. The more posts the better the game generally. Probably 20+ per day minimum is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'll join in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭andy125

I'm in thanks for the pm, hopefully we can get the numbers this time a round

andy125 wrote: »
    I'm in thanks for the pm, hopefully we can get the numbers this time a round

No worries Andy.

Yeah if we can keep this thread on page 1 of AH for a day or two we should be able to at least get the numbers for a small game although a big one is better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Priest eh?

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Priest eh?

It's random role distribution but it would be pretty funny if you did end up being the priest.

It's random role distribution but it would be pretty funny if you did end up being the priest.

Is it really random though? Are you open to gentle persuasion or maybe some kind of agreement?

:p

Is it really random though? Are you open to gentle persuasion or maybe some kind of agreement?

:p

lol, nah I'll use a random number generator site to pick all the roles. Anything other than that and you'd just have the wolves picking people off on the basis of who they think I'd have picked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭MrsFlushdraw

In :)

• Advertisement

Happy days.

Never played before but know the jist will give it a lash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'm in!

You won't be able to edit the OP for long so send a mod an updated list and we can edit for you

:)

Not sure how popular it would be but maybe a 20/30 post minimum to play? No point having a banned rereg wrecking the place

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I'm in!

You won't be able to edit the OP for long so send a mod an updated list and we can edit for you

:)

Not sure how popular it would be but maybe a 20/30 post minimum to play? No point having a banned rereg wrecking the place

Yeah I will do, thanks!

I've played small numbers games before a good few times and while they're not as good they are certainly possible. I think the key here will be just to get the first one underway and then that might generate some interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

I'll play. Hoping for late vocation! The irony!

Nice, so that's 9 players and myself to mod the game. Halfway there so hopefully over the weekend we'll be able to find the pother players. Would be nice to be able to start it early next week so that we have a few days play before the weekend kicks in an the thread goes quiet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I've no Idea what's going on, but I'd join in of it gets off the ground.

Uriel. wrote: »
    I've no Idea what's going on, but I'd join in of it gets off the ground.

In it's simplest form it's a game of deception. Among the 20 odd players there's a group who can speak in private while private conversations among the rest are banned. They have to try to guide the rest of the village into killing other people and keep the heat away from themselves.

The way the village decides who the wolves are is by looking at who voted for who, and who the wolves killed each night for clues. So say Kersplat spends a whole day accusing you of being a wolf, then the wolves kill him overnight, then the village will blame you for trying to take him out. This is where the tactics come in. Sometimes the wolves will kill people to create false accusation.

It will all make sense once the game begins.

MrsFlushdraw

Law of averages :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

I'll give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

In

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Would be interested but will have limited internet access for a few days from next Sunday. I'll be able to log on but I don't know when.

So if that's okay, in!

sullivlo wrote: »
    Would be interested but will have limited internet access for a few days from next Sunday. I'll be able to log on but I don't know when.

So if that's okay, in!

From Sunday 21st or Sunday 28th?

If it's the 21st then I wouldn't worry too much because the game probably won't start till Tuesday night, if it's the following week if you are able to put a vote in and a few posts per day then you'll be OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

From Sunday 21st or Sunday 28th?

If it's the 21st then I wouldn't worry too much because the game probably won't start till Tuesday night, if it's the following week if you are able to put a vote in and a few posts per day then you'll be OK.

28th. Will be able to post but not at a set time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

In.

Going to watch 'Teen Wolf' to get me in the mood.

sullivlo wrote: »
    28th. Will be able to post but not at a set time.

Ah that's no problem so. I've played with guys in Australia who posted in the middle of the night just responding to things and putting up theories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭El Hombre

Oh I'll play sounds fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭andy125

Just need 5 to 6 more players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Couldn't the werewolf just kill himself and be the winner because he both discovered the werewolf and then killed him.

Check and mate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Couldn't the werewolf just kill himself and be the winner because he both discovered the werewolf and then killed him.

Check and mate :)

Werewolves are animalistic by nature. Self survival is buried deep within them, hardwired to survive at all costs. So no, he couldnt kill himself.

Also this is a game.

Is it too late to sign up?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement