Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

This review has the 5600, 5800 and 5900x in it for you to compare as well as the 10600 and 10700k.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Amazon.de have 5950x
    https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B0815Y8J9N?psc=1&smid=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Edit: New estimated delivery date:7. May 2021

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Simi

Only a rumor, but looks like this could the final release of the AM4 platform.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-might-shelve-plans-to-launch-Ryzen-6000-Warhol-this-year-leaving-Intel-Alder-Lake-with-a-possible-gaming-advantage.533706.0.html

Makes perfect sense really. There's no point complicating things by releasing a 6000 series later in the year. 5000 series availability is only starting to improve now, diverting production capacity might jeopardise that.

Maybe with might get a few non-X parts and/or XT parts to see out the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ryzen 7-5800 already exists for OEM (e.g. Dell).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MugsGame

5950X available on Komplett.ie for €849 plus €3.95 delivery

https://www.komplett.ie/AMD-Ryzen-9-5950X/21041849/product

Works about the same as OC UK when you allow for Irish VAT and DHL import processing fee (if you can even get OC UK to ship here, it won't let me order some items to Ireland).

Had it in my basket on AMD.com yesterday, but wasn't fast enough (due to it not liking special chars in my address).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Simi wrote: »
    Only a rumor, but looks like this could the final release of the AM4 platform.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-might-shelve-plans-to-launch-Ryzen-6000-Warhol-this-year-leaving-Intel-Alder-Lake-with-a-possible-gaming-advantage.533706.0.html

Makes perfect sense really. There's no point complicating things by releasing a 6000 series later in the year. 5000 series availability is only starting to improve now, diverting production capacity might jeopardise that.

Maybe with might get a few non-X parts and/or XT parts to see out the year.

What do you mean a rumor, they literally said that's it and have said for years AM4 was going to last till 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

kingtiger wrote: »

Very tempted to buy this and sell my 5600x for cost.

420.08 including delivery and adjusted for Irish VAT, works out over €40 cheaper than buying from AMD directly.

Very tempted to buy this and sell my 5600x for cost.

420.08 including delivery and adjusted for Irish VAT, works out over €40 cheaper than buying from AMD directly.

Same*

Not worth it at my resolution though.

• Advertisement

I ordered, if anyone is looking for a 5600x give me a shout after the 18th and ill have the forum first refusal at cost, can be collected in Dublin or Athlone or posted at buyers expense via An Post registered post (about 9 quid I think?).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

5900x available on AMD shop still... seems to be up quite awhile as available

My 5800x arrived early installed now.

As a result my 5600x is available.

The current AMD direct price is €304.43 + postage, it cost me €316 + mailboxDE fees but I'll let it go for 315 if anyone here wants/needs one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

My 5800x arrived early installed now.

As a result my 5600x is available.

The current AMD direct price is €304.43 + postage, it cost me €316 + mailboxDE fees but I'll let it go for 315 if anyone here wants/needs one.

how long did it take amd to dispatch it after you ordered and was it long to arrive after dispatch?

BArra wrote: »
    how long did it take amd to dispatch it after you ordered and was it long to arrive after dispatch?

I didn't buy the CPU from AMD, but I did buy a GPU and it took about a week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

I was having really bad problems with my new PC - under heavy load it would just shut down or restart. So, obviously, first suspect was PSU....then graphics card....then RAM.

Thank god I had spare parts for all beacuse it turned out to be a motherboard. Was advertised as compatiable with new Ryzen processors, and it did work with the 5600X, but once I installed the latest beta bios the problem went away.

If I didn't have spare parts it would have been a nightmare, I 100% suspected the power supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Homelander wrote: »
    I was having really bad problems with my new PC - under heavy load it would just shut down or restart. So, obviously, first suspect was PSU....then graphics card....then RAM.

Thank god I had spare parts for all beacuse it turned out to be a motherboard. Was advertised as compatiable with new Ryzen processors, and it did work with the 5600X, but once I installed the latest beta bios the problem went away.

If I didn't have spare parts it would have been a nightmare, I 100% suspected the power supply.
    Makes me think of an issue I had with my son's pc. He has an Asus X570 tuf board and a 3950x. It crashed and from remote troubleshooting it (he's in Germany, I'm in Ireland), I believed it might be the gpu as putting another gpu in fixed the issue.
    It turned out it was the motherboard bios and how it behaves when displayport monitors are connected to the gpu's. Connecting by hdmi allowed me to walk him through updating the bios and its worked perfect ever since.

Just felt I should put this here as it might be a common enough board that others could come accross the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Thanks I am just about to start a build with that exact board
    deceit wrote: »
    Makes me think of an issue I had with my son's pc. He has an Asus X570 tuf board and a 3950x.

Just felt I should put this here as it might be a common enough board that others could come accross the issue.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Funny my board is an Asus TUF as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Homelander wrote: »
    Funny my board is an Asus TUF as well.
    The issues you mentioned were how my son's board behaved at first, it was only a few weeks after did the displayport issue start happening. Good it was only a software bug though as otherwise its a good board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Genoa (Zen 4) is 128 Cores. I'm pretty sure that's the Epic chip.

I see AdoredTv from YouTube is back.

Genoa (Zen 4) is 128 Cores. I'm pretty sure that's the Epic chip.

I see AdoredTv from YouTube is back.

So 48-64 core maximum, got it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    So 48-64 core maximum, got it. :rolleyes:

Huh? He's been right with most of these leaks.

I doubt they will double cores on the entire stack though. They are just trying to finish intel off in the server space. It takes a long time to get mind share in that market. They need to crucify intel to get people to switch.

There was other leaks suggesting desktop ryzen would go up to 24 cores, just adding 1 more ccd.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

The only thing holding them back is tdp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

BloodBath wrote: »
    Huh? He's been right with most of these leaks.

I doubt they will double cores on the entire stack though. They are just trying to finish intel off in the server space. It takes a long time to get mind share in that market. They need to crucify intel to get people to switch.

There was other leaks suggesting desktop ryzen would go up to 24 cores, just adding 1 more ccd.

They are also having to react to the arm based processors which are offering ridiculous core counts at lower tdp, with performance not that far off Milan. Apple silicon has also shown the x86 incumbents a pretty clean pair of heels in just about every test, again at shockingly low tdp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Reminder to anyone who bought a Zen 5000 series CPU last year - they can probably check AMD rewards and redeem their Far Cry 6 code (if they were eligible at the time)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭SickBoy

How does this work?

And does it also work for 6000 series GPU?

Edit, when I check AMD Rewards it just says to enter coupon. Should I have gotten a coupon when I got GPU direct from AMD.com?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I think it's just CPU's.

On topic of the new 3D Vcache CPU's I may get one or a 5800X depending on how things go early next year regarding cash flow. Either way it should be a good replacement for my 3700X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Seems to be more cpu's yous about so hopefully the price will drop a bit.

Advertisement