Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bothered or not?

Options
2»

Comments

theteal wrote: »
    People are who they are, not where they're from. Anyone who has an issue with where someone was raised needs to have a look at themselves.

That's it really. Not everyone from a more 'challenging' area is either a scumbag or a solid-gold-salt-of-the-earth type, and not everyone from a 'smarter' neighbourhood is a snobbish shark or pillar of the community.

Most people are averagely nice, wherever they're from and whatever their background.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Dublinensis

I'm at an age where my coupled-up friends are starting to buy houses and apartments. The unbridled snobbery that some househunting couples feel appropriate to unleash on their friends is astounding.

One couple refuses to venture across 'the dark side of Clanbrassil Street' when house-hunting (the Liberties, Drimnagh, etc). At first the heavily affected snobbery was a bit of a joke in the group, now it's getting tedious, especially because of their unrealistically small budget.

I'm tired of their endless vacillations over shoebox apartments and 'bijou' mews properties. They're all lovely people, but there's something about househunting that unleashes a bonkers level of snobbery in people. Thinking of buying a 400k former stable, ffs, just because it's in Dublin 6. A horse lived in that for Christ's sake.

Yes I know there are good reasons to discriminate between areas of the city, but there's no need to incessantly expose everyone around you to that.

I may have a lot of issues with my parents, but at least they had the minimal good sense to bring me up on the right side of Clanbrassil Street. :pac:

Seriously, though, what would you have them do? Buy the kind of houses that you'd be content to live in?

Seriously, though, what would you have them do? Buy the kind of houses that you'd be content to live in?
    No, to do exactly what I said in my last post: Live wherever they want, for whatever reason they want, but not to expose others, who do not care, to these social hierarchies.

House-hunters can be a bit like new parents, they often tend to assume everyone else should be interested in whatever is consuming them, including location snobbery.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Dublinensis

No, to do exactly what I said in my last post: Live wherever they want, for whatever reason they want, but not to expose others, who do not care, to these social hierarchies.

House-hunters can be a bit like new parents, they often tend to assume everyone else should be interested in whatever is consuming them, including location snobbery.

Fair enough. I would imagine, though, that it is fairly dominating their minds at the moment. Shortfalls between expectation and reality are never pleasant, particularly those relating to significant milestones in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭endacl

eviltwin wrote: »
    It's the minority who give it a bad name.

By nicking your post?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

My understanding of bad areas is that's it's mostly either organized crime related or just simply overall very poor and hasn't been fixed up.
    While no doubt some scumbags certainly exist in practically every area, I tend to realize where I grew up was a kip.
    It was a kip then, was a kip when the council "renovated it" and probably will always be a kip.
    Doesn't mean the people there turned out to be scum. A lot of people are on drugs, sure. But I can name a lot of people on there who went on to finish school and make something out of themselves.

It's down to your upbringing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Larry SR

I think one of the problems is that people from 'bad' areas who do well for themselves (get a 'professional' job for example) rarely stay in that area to start their own families.
    I've seen this where I was brought up and have done the same myself.

I knew someone who worked in Cork Prison and he used to mention that there is a school behind the prison and that they really should just expand the perimeter of the prison compound to include the school as so many of the inmates are former pupils!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

conorhal wrote: »
    An area gets a 'reputation', not due a minorities constant anti-socaial behaviour, but because the majority of 'good, honest people' in the area let it go unchecked and it becomes acceptable.

What are you doing to combat crime Batman?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Its not where you are from its who you are from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

As a person from Limerick, reputations can be very tedious, especially when they are wrong.
    I lived in Dublin in the 90's and the "Stab City" comments were rife.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Its not where you are from its who you are

FYP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

maudgonner wrote: »
    FYP.

That defines you............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Larry SR wrote: »
    I think one of the problems is that people from 'bad' areas who do well for themselves (get a 'professional' job for example) rarely stay in that area to start their own families.
    I've seen this where I was brought up and have done the same myself.

It is a problem alright but to be honest I grew up in a pretty notorious area of north inner city Dublin and while I do miss aspects of the area (the fantastic sense of community being one) I wasn't going to move back and raise a family there - one of the reasons I worked hard to get the ol' education was so I could move away - i know that sounds inherently contradictory, but I'd say the area where I grew up in is great to visit, but I wouldn't live there by choice.

I am quite proud of being from the area in question and I do get a certain sense of enjoyment watching the faces of various interns and assorted others in our place trying to figure out how a skanger from near the Royal Canal got to be in charge and work all over the world without "Mommmy and Doddy's help" - the look of utter bewilderment when I revert to my original accent (it's softened over the years) just adds to the my internal giggling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I grew up in a council estate in a small town and the parish priest would bleat on for 10 minutes if any of the kids form the estate did anything wrong. However if one of the kids from outside the estate did anything wrong he would never mention it. Drove my dad crazy, my parents worked long hours and supported all of us and made sure we did well in school, it really pissed him off to hear our area get shouted down to the community on a weekly basis.
    So much so, he stopped going to mass, then said we didn't have to go either. Brilliant :)

Came from a council estate that was and still is a kip.
    It's hard to find many places in Dublin that haven't got some sort of "kip" problems.

Area branding shouldn't matter, as its brand awareness.(dragons den fan)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I live in an area with a very poor reputation.

Yes, it irks me when people assume I'm a scumbag based on where I live. That said, I don't encounter that attitude very much at, because I don't have the accent that is prevalent in my area.

At the same time though, my area has a bad reputation for good reason. Unemployment is huge, social welfare fraud is huge, drugs are everywhere and crime is really high.

So while I don't like the assumptions made about people in my area, because the vast majority are lovely people, I can kind of understand it.

Advertisement