Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working under the influence

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

I pass by a huge building site every day. There must be about 100 men working on it.

At lunch time I spotted a few of the lads sitting in the sun and one of them smoking a joint.

I thought nothing of it.
    But then I remembered a couple of near misses on that site over the past few months. A gravel lorry knocked down a cyclist. A cinder block fell from above and missed a pedestrian by an inch. A contractor's van was double parked and blocking the lorry entrance. He ran back, jumped in the van to move it, and knocked over one of the builders.

Building sites are dangerous places. It got me thinking. That lad shouldn't be stoned on a site.

Would you report seeing a builder smoking a joint on his lunch break?
    Or would you mind your own business?
    This guy is laying blocks, driving gravel lorries and working for the contractor driving his van.

Are you sure it wasn't speed he was smoking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

It was common, not sure if it still is, for British office workers to go to the pub and have a beer or 2 with lunch. Would be sacked in Ireland, if you even came back for the afternoon, that is

Advertisement