Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memorable events in your lifetime.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

The Iverk Show August 2005 and then again in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,836 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Winterlong wrote: »
    J.R. got shot by Kristen (she was Sue Ellen's sister).

SPOILERS!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

The Dandelion Market closed and Hector Gray's and Rice's pub on the Green got pulled down,not too mention the Green Cinema(that was pure vandalism) for a pxxy shopping arcade.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Don't know if it has been mentioned already, but watching the Chilean miners get rescued with that shuttle up and down the pipe, I really had a feeling that much of the world was watching the same thing at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Great lists. A few to add for me, off the top of my head and in no particular order:

The Landsdowne road rioting.
    Rugby in Croke Park.
    Election of Mary Robinson.
    Her trip to Somalia, and the TV pictures of her crying and appealing to the world to take action.
    Rwanda and the absolute horror of the genocide there.
    Queen Elizabeth's visit to Ireland.
    The run on the Northern Rock bank in the UK, and the sense that this could be the start of very, very serious economic trouble (I know it wasn't the start, but it felt like the beginning of it reaching ordinary people on this side of the Atlantic).
    Colin McStay and the appeal to find him a liver.
    The many Eurovision wins of Ireland :)
    Dawn Run winning in Cheltenham. Desert Orchid too - I was obsessed with that horse for a while, read his biography (yes, it exists. No, it's not an autobiography) over and over again. Lovely Dessie :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Some great lists folks. Thanks for sharing them. Some gems in them that I forgot to include.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

Aberfan. I was in England then and quite young and the fact it was children in a classroom.

The BBC news starting without music, just live pictures of arclights on a slagheap and men digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,836 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I was in 6th class when Nelson Mandela was freed. The teachers brought the two 6th classes in the school into one big room for the afternoon to watch. Our teacher had played us a movie about Mandela the previous week, which we all were shocked by. But I remember the actual homecoming being a case of about 70 kids sitting in a room watching footage of an empty road for three hours.

I also remember when Ireland beat Romania in Italia 90, watching with two school friends, one of whom was a Pakistani kid. Then my parents came home later on, pretty drunk (I hadn't seen my parents drunk before), and my Dad playing Ole Ole Ole on the piano while my Mam and another friend were dancing. We were told many times what good boys we were... Undignified, maybe, but the whole country had lost its mind!

Sept 11th I was working a summer job in a hospital after my first year in college, bored off my skull doing the most mundane paperwork you could possibly imagine. When the planes hit people were talking about it (no smart phones so it was just rumours). First chance I got I was into the A and E to look at the TV, stayed there the rest of the working day (nobody noticed at all from what I could gather). Met a mate of mine for a pint that evening, remember the pub was completely silent, just people watching the footage, over and over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

valoren wrote: »
    From a Sports perspective;

Michael Johnson breaking the 200m world record at Atlanta 20 years ago.
    Stayed up until after 2am for 19.32 seconds. The silence before the gun and after thousands of camera's flashing as they went around the bend.

Also in Golf. The Miracle at Medinah Ryder Cup in 2012.
    One of the best comebacks in all of Sport for me.

I vaguely remember Bolt's record-breaking 100m run in 2012, and also Oscar Pistorius becoming the first Paralympian to qualify for the Olympics.

Of the top of my head, here's some other
    • Arsenal's "Invincibles" going undefeated in the 2003-4 season
    • Michael Schumacher breaking Fangio's record of 5 F1 drivers' titles in 2003, winning that title race by just 2 points
    • Max Verstappen making me feel very inadequate back in May when he won a Grand Prix aged 18
    • Germany thumping Brazil 7-1
    • Toyota suffering a terminal engine problem with 4 minutes left in this year's 24 Hours of Le Mans
    • Jules Bianchi's eventually-fatal accident at the 2014 Japanese Grand Prix - I got up early despite a hangover to watch that race live

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Pretty much everything already listed from 84 onwards (born in 78).

Also sportswise

Zola Budd v Mary Decker at 84 Olympics
    Ben Johnson being stripped of gold medal in 100m at Seoul Olympics. Probably my first awareness of athletes taking drugs in sport. It was high profile at the time.

Sonia O'Sullivan's dominance of middle distance running the mid to late 90s. Losing out on a medal in 93 to the Chinese runners and taking silver in Sydney in 2000. Watched that in the Stables bar in UL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

earliest thing i remember is my father calling my mother in to watch something on telly ,he was shouting '' those men are down, those men are down'' . we ran it to the room to watch apollo [13 , i presume ] splashing down on the news

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

JFK assassination - Nov. 1963.

Moon Landing - July 1969 - Yawn, Dr.Who was more exciting - seriously!

Dana winning the Eurovision in 1970.

Fall of Saigon during final stages of Vietnam War - April 1975

Ending of Iranian Embassy Siege London - May 1980 - watched it live.

Wedding of Prince of Wales & Lady Diana Spencer - July 1981

Botham's (+ Bob Willis') Ashes - Epic Cricket Test Series - June/August 1981

Falklands War - 1982

Hurricane Charlie - 1986 - out on Bray seafront with aluminium light poles bending in the wind.

Death of Rory Gallagher - June 1995

Death of Princess Diana - August 1997

9/11

Since 9/11 the only notable events (for me) have been rugby matches as I try to blank out reality. :D

ROG's drop goal against Wales to win the Grand Slam in 2009

ROG's match winning drop goal after 41 phases of possession in the game against Northampton - Nov.2011

Back to back World Cup wins for the All Blacks - 2011/15

and Jonny Wilkinson leading Toulon to Heineken Cup & Top 14 victory in 2014

Del.Monte wrote: »
    JFK assassination - Nov. 1963.

Moon Landing - July 1969 - Yawn, Dr.Who was more exciting - seriously!

Dana winning the Eurovision in 1970.

Fall of Saigon during final stages of Vietnam War - April 1975

Ending of Iranian Embassy Siege London - May 1980 - watched it live.

Wedding of Prince of Wales & Lady Diana Spencer - July 1981

Botham's (+ Bob Willis') Ashes - Epic Cricket Test Series - June/August 1981

Falklands War - 1982

Hurricane Charlie - 1986 - out on Bray seafront with aluminium light poles bending in the wind.

Death of Rory Gallagher - June 1995

Death of Princess Diana - August 1997

9/11

Since 9/11 the only notable events (for me) have been rugby matches as I try to blank out reality. :D

ROG's drop goal against Wales to win the Grand Slam in 2009

ROG's match winning drop goal after 41 phases of possession in the game against Northampton - Nov.2011

Back to back World Cup wins for the All Blacks - 2011/15

and Jonny Wilkinson leading Toulon to Heineken Cup & Top 14 victory in 2014

I remember everything from the Iranian embassy onwards. The rest means you are an older fart than me.:D

Earliest newsworthy memory was the Gulf War
    The Downing Street Declaration
    1994 IRA mortar attacks on Heathrow as the Queen was being flown through.
    Death of Mother Teresa (and the Lady Di carnival)
    Creation of the Eurozone
    The Millenium
    World Trade Centre Attacks
    War in Iraq
    Asian Tsunami and Haiti Earthquake
    Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Anything I've seen on reeling in the years that day !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Assassination of Robert kennedy - I was home from school sick

Yes, I remember Aberfan - my brother cut some of the Evening Press coverage out and stuck it in a scrapbook.

Assassination of Robert kennedy - I was home from school sick

Yes, I remember Aberfan - my brother cut some of the Evening Press coverage out and stuck it in a scrapbook.

I've only ever heard about Aberfan from a Welsh aunt. It was before my time/birth. I've since read a lot about it. Second mention here. Nice to see the memories going back beyond my OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

Cuban missile crisis,
    The schoolmaster brought us all around
    the map of the world and and gave us a very up to date history lesson,
    frightened the ****e of us (me anyway)

I see lots of stuff that pre-and-post-dates it, but nobody has mentioned the Chernobyl nuclear disaster. I would have thought that would have been a huge one at the time. It was a year or so before I was born, and I feel like I remember it because I heard so much about it.

Candie wrote: »
    I see lots of stuff that pre-and-post-dates it, but nobody has mentioned the Chernobyl nuclear disaster. I would have thought that would have been a huge one at the time. It was a year or so before I was born, and I feel like I remember it because I heard so much about it.

Yes it has been mentioned on the thread. A huge disaster that at the time made no real sense to us in Ireland, despite a failed attempt to build a nuclear plant at Carnsore point in Wexford and the danger from Sellafield/Windscale across the sea in England.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

People remember Brexit? Wow, a whole seven to eight weeks ago! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

The killing of Veronica Guerin

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Academic

The earliest public event of great significance I can remember as a child was the Kennedy assassination. It wasn’t just the assassination itself which had people freaking out; it was at the height of the cold war, and everyone was worried that a nuclear exchange with the Soviet Union might ensue.

Cheers,

Ac

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Anything I've seen on reeling in the years that day !

I feel like I remember everything pre-84, even though I don't, because I've seen Reeling in the Years so many times!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭groucho marx

The time I was bitten by the swan because I was wearing the baby on board badge and demanded his seat on the luas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Living in UK as a child, remember the winter of 63. Snow to my waist on the way to school.

Remember the first live transatlantic TV broadcast. Couldn't see sod all.

(I was interested in space and tech, having seen DrWho from the beginning and before that "Torchy the Battery Boy" - find it on Youtube. A women voicing a boy child part , long before Bart Simpson.)

Kennedy assassination.

Original 'Planet of the Apes'.

2001: A Space Odyssey. Got that badly wrong, didn't they.

First moon landing. Used to walk from school to Fairview to see the coverage in RTV Rentals (on my way home).

Aer Lingus first Jumbo Jet arriving. Cycled to the airport, and went to the rooftop of the old terminal to watch. The good old days, eh??

A hit record, probably the Beverly Sisters or someone like that, the chorus went "we're having fun, sitting in the back seat, kissing and a huggin' with Fred". Probably about 1960 - argh, just looked it up...1959.

Launch of BBC2.

Building of the 'new' Bull Ring in Birmingham, about '63 (I think it has been rebuilt since then).

Opening of the M1 in England.

Introduction of 'free' education in Ireland. (I had been studying in scholarship class)

Nelson's pillar being blown up

Half of O'Connell St being blown up.

First Dublin bomb in Sackville Place

At this point I'd have to sit and think hard about it, so that's probably cheating. But, all the stuff in the OP as well.

Living in UK as a child, remember the winter of 63. Snow to my waist on the way to school.

Remember the first live transatlantic TV broadcast. Couldn't see sod all.

(I was interested in space and tech, having seen DrWho from the beginning and before that "Torchy the Battery Boy" - find it on Youtube. A women voicing a boy child part , long before Bart Simpson.)

Kennedy assassination.

Original 'Planet of the Apes'.

2001: A Space Odyssey. Got that badly wrong, didn't they.

First moon landing. Used to walk from school to Fairview to see the coverage in RTV Rentals (on my way home).

Aer Lingus first Jumbo Jet arriving. Cycled to the airport, and went to the rooftop of the old terminal to watch. The good old days, eh??

A hit record, probably the Beverly Sisters or someone like that, the chorus went "we're having fun, sitting in the back seat, kissing and a huggin' with Fred". Probably about 1960 - argh, just looked it up...1959.

Launch of BBC2.

Building of the 'new' Bull Ring in Birmingham, about '63 (I think it has been rebuilt since then).

Opening of the M1 in England.

Introduction of 'free' education in Ireland. (I had been studying in scholarship class)

Nelson's pillar being blown up

Half of O'Connell St being blown up.

First Dublin bomb in Sackville Place

At this point I'd have to sit and think hard about it, so that's probably cheating. But, all the stuff in the OP as well.

Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

My most frighting and memorable moment was in December 1st 1972,Bombs in Dublin.

I was in my first job, straight from primary school.

The job was having their "Christmas Party" that night

Myself and a few workmates were just crossing the "Butt Bridge" when the bomb went off on Eden Quay.

My back was shredded with bits of metal and glass as was some of my friends.

We all lived about a mile from the Bridge and ran as feast as we could home.

My Dad took what bits of debris that was in my back and arms and put "Iodine" and plasters on the wounds.

None of us went to Hospital.

For years I had lower back problems and it was only last year after my Doctor sent me from an Xray, that they noticed a Big piece of Metal near my Spine in my lower back.

I had it removed earlier this year, but they disposed of it in the Hospital,so no Souvenir :)

Italy 1990 when we beat Romania on peno's.

Never forget the pure joy of everyone on the streets and Dancing in the "Anna Livea" fountain. :D

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Never forget the pure joy of everyone on the streets and Dancing in the "Anna Livea" fountain. :D

Aren't you posh! :D

• Advertisement

Candie wrote: »
    I see lots of stuff that pre-and-post-dates it, but nobody has mentioned the Chernobyl nuclear disaster. I would have thought that would have been a huge one at the time. It was a year or so before I was orn, and I feel like I remember it because I heard so much about it.
    Probably as it was so relatively unimportant relative to other events in history

Advertisement