Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another mentally ill man attacks train passengers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

s'all the video games fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,814 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Crazy and it's something that could happen here

There are a lot of unstable people walking the streets in Ireland. They think people are laughing at them, looking at them, talking about them etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ClovenHoof

We need more Halal train services.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Smondie wrote: »
    Two teens seriously injured as knifeman attacks passengers on train in Austria

It comes after a man attacked passengers on a crowded Swiss train with a knife and burning liquid on Saturday, leaving him and one of his victims dead.

http://m.independent.ie/world-news/europe/two-teens-seriously-injured-as-knifeman-attacks-passengers-on-train-in-austria-34969701.html

We can't be letting lads run round attacking people on trains.

Why the increase in attacks?
    What's the solution?

Would airport style security prevent these incidents?

Is there an increase in the attacks or an increase in the reporting? I wonder how many attacks like this went unreported before the Daesh related attacks. Looks like the media is reporting everything at the moment and then adding suggestive sentences at the end of the report, something like this; "In June a suicide bomber blew himself up outside a wine bar and injured 11 others" or some other bullshít. These attacks are not related, but we will relate them anyway because fear is a newspapers best friend.

If you want the security of an Airport (not very secure pre security checks) then you will make public transport unusable due to high costs. Train tickets are already fairly pricey as it is.

Hilarious, I read the tripe article after posting the above, low and behold the "journalist" states the following;

"Last year, a heavily armed gunman opened fire on a high-speed Amsterdam to Paris train but was overpowered by two young American servicemen and their companion."

Apart from Trains, wtf has this got to do with the original story?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

PTH2009 wrote: »

There are a lot of unstable people walking the streets in Ireland. They think people are laughing at them, looking at them, talking about them etc

In fairness they're easy to spot and generally give a very clear advance warning, in the form of yelling "WHAT DA FUQ ARE YEWWWWWWWWWW LOOKIN' AH?" extremely loudly and belligerently from a distance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Two teens seriously injured as knifeman attacks passengers on train in Austria

It comes after a man attacked passengers on a crowded Swiss train with a knife and burning liquid on Saturday, leaving him and one of his victims dead.

http://m.independent.ie/world-news/europe/two-teens-seriously-injured-as-knifeman-attacks-passengers-on-train-in-austria-34969701.html

Why the increase in attacks?
    What's the solution?

I'd say it's the free travel pass. Just encourages these mad fcukers. 🙌

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

https://twitter.com/gardatraffic/status/579584828254867456

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    I'd say it's the free travel pass. Just encourages these mad fcukers. 🙌

I've been stuck beside some OAPs who tried to talk me to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Is there an increase in the attacks or an increase in the reporting? I wonder how many attacks like this went unreported before the Daesh related attacks. Looks like the media is reporting everything at the moment and then adding suggestive sentences at the end of the report, something like this; "In June a suicide bomber blew himself up outside a wine bar and injured 11 others" or some other bullshít. These attacks are not related, but we will relate them anyway because fear is a newspapers best friend.

I agree. And the combination of every incident being reporting on Twitter and the like, which would probably have only been known locally, and the lazy 'journalism' which scoops up these incidents and creates a frenzy about them, only adds to it. Sometimes I reckon these stories create as much terror (at least in this part of the world) as ISIS and other such organisations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Sure ye can't be at that lads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

They might have to rethink free travel for mentally unstable people.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Shur lets have armed special ops police at every bus stop in the continent too

Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves could cash in on all this.

Hollywood will be licking its lips

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Bloomin' Norwegians.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You make a pact with every other person in your carriage that any nuttiness will be kicked to death en masse

Failure to honour the pact will result in a kicking also.

OAP's etc are not expected to take active part but must shout encouragment should it be required

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Bambi wrote: »
    You make a pact with every other person in your carriage that any nuttiness will be kicked to death en masse

OAP's etc are not expected to take active part but must shout encouragment should it be required

OAPs can get a few vicious jabs in from a safe distance with their sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

If you want the security of an Airport (not very secure pre security checks) then you will make public transport unusable due to high costs. Train tickets are already fairly pricey as it is.

Hilarious, I read the tripe article after posting the above, low and behold the "journalist" states the following;

"Last year, a heavily armed gunman opened fire on a high-speed Amsterdam to Paris train but was overpowered by two young American servicemen and their companion."

Apart from Trains, wtf has this got to do with the original story?

Whataboutery, that's what this story is really about, that and crafting a political narrative. You see it on contentious threads here all the time, and just like those posters that trawl the net for ‘related, but not involving a terrorist stories’, the press is attempting to normalise Islamist attacks by publishing a story about an attack by a mentally ill pensioner and not so subtly equating one with the other.
    The Journal tried to be a bit more subtle by linking the story to the Swiss attack earlier in the week in a feeble effort to further imply that earlier attack was probably unrelated to Islamist violence (without a shred of evidence about the earlier attack either way).
    This is the media attempting to form a 'nothing to see here' narrative, which, just like the mass sexual assaults on the continent, is likely to blow up in their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

PTH2009 wrote: »

The existence of this thread would kind of support their theories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

It does seem as if there is increased reporting of these incidents. 30 years ago I had a man pull a knife on me and try to stab me on a train in Spain, and only for I ran into a carriage with a door I could lock I would have been done for, and in another incident 30 years ago on a high speed German train a filthy evil-looking vagrant trapped me alone in a carriage and masturbated and I could hardly get a police man to pay a blind bit of notice when I tried to report it afterwards. Trains, I tells ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

conorhal wrote: »
    Whataboutery, that's what this story is really about, that and crafting a political narrative. You see it on contentious threads here all the time, and just like those posters that trawl the net for ‘related, but not involving a terrorist stories’, the press is attempting to normalise Islamist attacks by publishing a story about an attack by a mentally ill pensioner and not so subtly equating one with the other.
    The Journal tried to be a bit more subtle by linking the story to the Swiss attack earlier in the week in a feeble effort to further imply that earlier attack was probably unrelated to Islamist violence (without a shred of evidence about the earlier attack either way).
    This is the media attempting to form a 'nothing to see here' narrative, which, just like the mass sexual assaults on the continent, is likely to blow up in their faces.

So you're saying by reporting incidents as islamic terrorism, they're covering up islamic terrorist acts??

You people are fuccking unbelievable, fucck this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The Indy is a liberal centre left newspaper. Are you accusing them of scaremongering now too? Hilarious. Soon anything to the right of The Guardian will be considered 'far right scaremoners!'
    It's got nothing to do with left or right side politics. All media outlets use scaremongering to sell, because that's what people will pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

So you're saying by reporting incidents as islamic terrorism, they're covering up islamic terrorist acts??

You people are fuccking unbelievable, fucck this.

Unbelievable is your willingness to suck up propaganda, but I suppose there is no lie easier to sell then the ones people are most eager to believe.
    The point of both articles was to draw a false equivalence, a logical fallacy which describes a situation where there is a logical and apparent equivalence, but when in fact there is none. Otherwise why link two the two events, and what are the articles trying to say what by doing so?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

conorhal wrote: »

Weeell, looking at this thread, the OP started it off with the usual jibes implying it was a terrorist attack/Islamist/etcetera.*

Apparently neither he nor anyone else read the damn article in which the guy was identified as a German man in his sixties with "no migration background"** who was, in fact, mentally ill.

The reason these stories are getting reported so much? It's because the people that love to be afraid keep lapping them up without so much as a question. And yes, they do actually have to specify these days whether or not something is an Islamist attack, because people are far too willing to do ISIS' work for them by winding themselves into a tizzy every time someone commits a crime in case a burqa is involved. It's a shame that ISIS have to keep getting more airtime because of the malicious or lazy people that can't do a bit of research, but there you have it.

No-one's denying the terrorist attacks. Just some of us are getting fed up with having random crime rammed down our throats so someone can get off on the "cultural diversity" cracks.

Edit: *Actually, I take that back, I misread a word in the opening post. It can apply to a good 80% of the rest of the thread though!
    **quote from another article referencing the attack. Both specified he was a German national, however. Won't deny that there's a possibility of his being a second or third generation immigrant, but given his age, it seems unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

The Indy is a liberal centre left newspaper. Are you accusing them of scaremongering now too? Hilarious. Soon anything to the right of The Guardian will be considered 'far right scaremoners!'

Yea, yea I am. I don't know where abouts on the scale of righ/left a newspaper is, nor do I give two shíts really. A tabloid rag of a paper like the "Indy" cares about one thing and one thing only, revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

Samaris wrote: »
    Weeell, looking at this thread, the OP started it off with the usual jibes implying it was a terrorist attack/Islamist/etcetera.*

Apparently neither he nor anyone else read the damn article in which the guy was identified as a German man in his sixties with "no migration background"** who was, in fact, mentally ill.

The reason these stories are getting reported so much? It's because the people that love to be afraid keep lapping them up without so much as a question. And yes, they do actually have to specify these days whether or not something is an Islamist attack, because people are far too willing to do ISIS' work for them by winding themselves into a tizzy every time someone commits a crime in case a burqa is involved. It's a shame that ISIS have to keep getting more airtime because of the malicious or lazy people that can't do a bit of research, but there you have it.

No-one's denying the terrorist attacks. Just some of us are getting fed up with having random crime rammed down our throats so someone can get off on the "cultural diversity" cracks.

Edit: *Actually, I take that back, I misread a word in the opening post. It can apply to a good 80% of the rest of the thread though!
    **quote from another article referencing the attack. Both specified he was a German national, however. Won't deny that there's a possibility of his being a second or third generation immigrant, but given his age, it seems unlikely.

Op here I never mention, implied or anything else about Islam either in the opening post or the thread title. In fact mentally ill is in the thread title. Ironic you give out about people not reading stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cerisepink

I for one am absolutely sick of reading threads like this. The world has always been a crazy sick place, the only difference now is that we hear about every single terrible thing that happens so much so that I actively avoid reading news like this. I didn't read the article. What good is reading and talking about this story unless to instil more fear and paranoia? The fact that the man was mentally ill just makes this a sad but still rare event. Is this like the other thread asking what should be done with mentally ill people? Jesus where will it end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Op here I never mention, implied or anything else about Islam either in the opening post or the thread title. In fact mentally ill is in the thread title. Ironic you give out about people not reading stuff.

Yes, I edited and retracted that in the first footnote at 19.07.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What's the solution?

Martin Blunt, is that you?

Not really a great deal you can do about it. You want to set up seucirty at trains? Metro/Luas stops? Busses?

And how do you think it;s going to be funded? You'll be the first one up in arms when the cost of your ticket skyrockets.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

Bambi wrote: »

Easy to generalize about people, i.e. like OAPs for instance (even in jest as in this case,)
    I'm an OAP, as you put it, aged 67 to be exact, someone who was reared in the hard old days, spent 30 years in the Army and am still reasonably fit and healthy.
    You never know who's sitting beside you on that bus or train, if and when **** happens. If it was me on the bus, I'd rather depend on some of the other 'OAP's I know, than some modern day Mammy's hand - reared boys who'd probably burst into tears at the sight of real violence.

Just sayin' like ;)

Advertisement