Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it possible to switch course to Computational thinking?

• 14-08-2016 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

I doubt I will get the B1 in maths for computational thinking but would it be possible for me to switch into computational thinking after one year of computer science?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 PhilsHenchman

The very same thing happened to me in 2012! Got a B2 in maths for the LC and came to Maynooth and did first year of maths education instead. However, I met with the course coordinator of CT in second semester about potentially switching to first year of CT the following year and he said I could. The only requirement was that I had to achieve an average of 70% in first year computer science and an average of 65% in first year maths. This is a very doable if you're good at maths. The process was easy. I went to the admissions office and filled out a transfer form and that was that. They said technically I should have had to apply through the CAO again but the admissions office were nice enough to keep it in house to save me money.

The only issue is that you will technically be repeating first year and so will be liable for full fees for the first year of CT. This year it's about 7.5 grand. Whether or not SUSI helps with this I don't know.

So yeah, if you don't get a B1 in maths, doing CS & Maths in first year is probably a must do for you to prove you can actually handle the pure maths modules. If you do get a B1 but don't have CT down as number 1 etc and end up on a different course, you can probably still arrange a transfer to the course the following year. The year I transferred, another guy who did Irish & Psychology in Maynooth the previous year transferred too.

Good luck. It's a great course to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Samurai12

Thank you, I ended up not getting the B1 that I needed. But I will still try and transfer into the course. So instead I am doing Science in my first year.

Just 1 question: When switching into the course did you have to have the required points needed for that course from your Leaving Cert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 PhilsHenchman

Did I have to have the points to transfer? I honestly don't know. I had them anyway. Since they kept my transfer in house instead of through the CAO, maybe not. They only seemed to care about my CS & Maths results from first year. The course coordinator did know of my story in September about missing out on the course so it wasn't as if me asking to transfer came out of the blue. That might have played a part. But yeah, I honestly don't know.

Advertisement