Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ 5 year strategy 2018 - 2022

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

News going after seven on 2FM will lead to the commercial stations looking for the same deal too. Could prove very difficult.

Oireachtas Report will not be allowed to go. There will be uproar from every politician in the country (which of course might be the exact response RTE is looking for....)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

Elmo wrote:
    RTÉ News Now to go, according to Sindo, while SBP is reporting that News after 7 is going to go from 2FM and also Oireachtas report.

I sent rte a query on November 7th regarding News now and amount of bulletins gone off it recently and am still waiting a response

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Elmo wrote: »
    RTÉ News Now to go, according to Sindo, while SBP is reporting that News after 7 is going to go from 2FM and also Oireachtas report.

So that will mean one less channel on Saorview, I always said it, Saorview is only for kitchen and bedroom TVs and a back up in case your pay tv goes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

So that will mean one less channel on Saorview, I always said it, Saorview is only for kitchen and bedroom TVs and a back up in case your pay tv goes down.

Not really any more I wonder how many people have a tv in their bedroom or kitchen nowadays with the arrival of Tablets and fast broadband.

Always said it would only really ever feature the 4 traditional channels

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭political analyst

Is there really nothing at all that can be done to encourage other broadcasters to be available on Saorview?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

galtee boy wrote: »

I think that if NN is being removed from Saorview it is to increase the contribution from the non-RTE channels and reduce the contribution by RTE. RTE will save nearly €2 million by axing it and TV3 will have to make up the difference.

It would make sense for RTE to move all their channels onto Mux 1 and let the rest use Mux 2 (and pay for it). Currently RTE pay €8m of the €12 m cost of running Saorview, while a 50/50 split would save them €2m. The Virgin channels would change to HD at once as it would cost them no more to be HD rather than SD.

RTE have always wanted to move away from Ministeral supervision (micro-managing) so that they can do what they want on each channel - like RTE Plus, and more freedom as to schedule content.

They also want more licence fee, and a reduction in evasion, and a reduction in collection charges. [However, the same dept that is responsible for RTE is also responsible for the loss making An Post.]

I think it is RTE posturing.

I think that if NN is being removed from Saorview it is to increase the contribution from the non-RTE channels and reduce the contribution by RTE. RTE will save nearly €2 million by axing it and TV3 will have to make up the difference.

It would make sense for RTE to move all their channels onto Mux 1 and let the rest use Mux 2 (and pay for it). Currently RTE pay €8m of the €12 m cost of running Saorview, while a 50/50 split would save them €2m. The Virgin channels would change to HD at once as it would cost them no more to be HD rather than SD.

RTE have always wanted to move away from Ministeral supervision (micro-managing) so that they can do what they want on each channel - like RTE Plus, and more freedom as to schedule content.

They also want more licence fee, and a reduction in evasion, and a reduction in collection charges. [However, the same dept that is responsible for RTE is also responsible for the loss making An Post.]

I think it is RTE posturing.

Why is the government, even today, hell-bent on micro-managing RTÉ? Sure, isn't it political suicide to be open to being accused of threatening journalists?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

galtee boy wrote: »

Why are there so little channels on Saorview? I'd hardly even call 3e/Be3 proper channels as they are wall to wall repeats. I know the UK is a much bigger market but when you look at the choice Freeview offers in terms of channels. Why would Discovery/A&E/Fox/CBS/Sony not launch a channel on Saorview like in the UK? Is Ireland as bad as other developed countries of similar population?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

zeebre12 wrote: »
    Why are there so little channels on Saorview? I'd hardly even call 3e/Be3 proper channels as they are wall to wall repeats. I know the UK is a much bigger market but when you look at the choice Freeview offers in terms of channels. Why would Discovery/A&E/Fox/CBS/Sony not launch a channel on Saorview like in the UK? Is Ireland as bad as other developed countries of similar population?

It is all to do with transmission charges and TV3's refusal to pay a reasonable amount and to be in HD.

Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

RTÉ has published its 5 year strategy document, RTÉ Strategy 2018 - 2022 Renewing RTÉ for the Next Generation.

http://www.rte.ie/strategy/
    http://www.rte.ie/strategy/pdf/RTE-Strategy-2018-2022.pdf

Dee Forbes today briefed staff on RTÉ's new five-year strategy.

RTÉ submitted its strategy to the BAI and its consultants for review last October. Following the review, the BAI will then submit its report and recommendations to the Minister. Ministerial review and Government response on public service broadcasting funding due mid-year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

I wonder if viewers in NI will ever get RTÉ ONE in HD on Sky as part of any strategy...

It's not a strategy. I love to see some commitments made. Only one I could find was about RADIO 1 on LW.

icdg wrote: »
    News going after seven on 2FM will lead to the commercial stations looking for the same deal too. Could prove very difficult.

Oireachtas Report will not be allowed to go. There will be uproar from every politician in the country (which of course might be the exact response RTE is looking for....)

The following article was published on 13 February.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/plan-to-move-late-night-oireachtas-report-to-web-1.3391265
    A long-running RTÉ programme on politics which former Labour leader Pat Rabbitte once said was watched only by “drunks and insomniacs” may soon come to an end.
    Oireachtas Report is a half-hour programme that reports on highlights of that day’s sittings in the Dáil, Seanad and committee rooms. It is broadcast late at night, often after midnight.
    Yesterday, senior RTÉ news executives disclosed to Dáil Deputies and Senators that the broadcasters reports on the Oireachtas might be migrating from TV to online.

Can anyone defend this strategy, is it a strategy.

1. Only one commitment to close LW
    2. No really commitment to increase production
    3. Seems like commitment is made to retain current services/content based on increases of funding but no mention of how much of an increase, how much commercial growth and how many more staff would have to leave the company.
    4. Drama and Children's is key but no commitment for increases in hours or funding
    5. Audiences are key but it seems only as a statistic rather than engaging with them.
    6. No alternative stragtegy where no new funding is given.

Bizzare mission statement IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭brick man

Elmo wrote:
    1. Only one commitment to close LW 2. No really commitment to increase production 3. Seems like commitment is made to retain current services/content based on increases of funding but no mention of how much of an increase, how much commercial growth and how many more staff would have to leave the company. 4. Drama and Children's is key but no commitment for increases in hours or funding 5. Audiences are key but it seems only as a statistic rather than engaging with them. 6. No alternative stragtegy where no new funding is given.

Seemingly it's only a summary of actual document as until it's gets government approval it won't be fully published which is expected April or May . I agree with you it's as vague as you could get

Advertisement