Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forty sheep killed in dog attack in Co Kerry(Graphic photos in links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Like climate change, he'll probably blame it on Dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dog owners in rural areas have been asked to keep an eye on their pets after 40 sheep were killed during a dog attack in Co Kerry last Friday.
    Rest is behind paywall

• Registered Users Posts: 12,256 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Changed it

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

That's absolutely horrible. The ferocity of nature can be brutal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Op updated and warning added so people don't lose their dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Yerra, Ewe wouldn't be up to those dags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

PARlance wrote: »
    Yerra, Ewe wouldn't be up to those dags.

Pulling the wool over your eyes, the devils.

Seriously though, it's a pretty horrible thing for any farmer to have to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

40 sheep :eek: horrific for the farmer, a terrible loss.

I'd say there's more than one dog involved in that

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Smondie wrote: »
    40 sheep :eek: horrific for the farmer, a terrible loss.

I'd say there's more than one dog involved in that

A lot of them were lambs that were killed by the animals crushing together into a small space trying to get away. So may well have only been one.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

That's absolutely horrible. The ferocity of nature can be brutal.

Nothing natural about stupid bastards owning dogs they can't or won't control.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

we hope it was a dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

GLaDOS wrote: »
    A lot of them were lambs that were killed by the animals crushing together into a small space trying to get away. So may well have only been one.

Sheep do tend to panic and excitement each other. .

As bad as it is....lucky they weren't in lamb...as stress would cause them to lose them :(

Hope this farmer is well insured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

American werewolf in Kerry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Fuckin' hell.

As bad as it is....lucky they weren't in lamb...as stress would cause them to lose them :(

Insurance might cover monetary losses but you'd never get over seeing your animals like that.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

It's a tough life for a kerry sheep.
    Watching out for dogs, eagles, lonely farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Ted111 wrote: »
    It's a tough life for a kerry sheep.
    Watching out for dogs, eagles, lonely farmers

Not even in that order

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

I bet it was that bastard Casey.
    He's a divil when he gets behind the wheel.
    Twas a sad day for the Kerry sheepdogs when his firestones they did feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Someone will have a good idea who's dog did it.

• Advertisement

Time to face the firing squad for that little doggie! Fools of owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Its unlikely they will catch what dog/s done this, it would be far too costly to get saliva samples or whatever from bite marks and test against local dogs.

A guy up the road from me keeps a donkey in with his sheep, says it protects them from dogs. Does it really work?
    I know having a donkey would add on a good...I dunno but at least £600 or so cost a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

failinis wrote: »
    Its unlikely they will catch what dog/s done this, it would be far too costly to get saliva samples or whatever from bite marks and test against local dogs.

A guy up the road from me keeps a donkey in with his sheep, says it protects them from dogs. Does it really work?
    I know having a donkey would add on a good...I dunno but at least £600 or so cost a year.
    They'll have to be got though. ....what ever it is....if a dog kills/attacks sheep they'll do it again ime

What's the position on shhoting loose dogs on your land? Is it Legal or not?

failinis wrote: »
    Its unlikely they will catch what dog/s done this
    I'd say they already have a fair idea. And if the owners are semi-decent, they'll tell the farmer and let events take their natural course. Otherwise, this dog would reoffend, as tomwaterford said. Once they get a taste for blood & the chase, there's no going back.

Something similar happened to us in the past, and on the second occasion the owners of the dog were good-natured enough to put a stop to it. This kind of attack represents a massive financial loss, and has to be rooted out.
    Legal if they're worrying sheep.

Outrageous.

Dogs are now banned outright on the Reeks, and yet I still see people out with their dogs on the Reeks and off the leash around around the National Park, because their dogs are special dogs and their barks make sheep giggle and deer dance.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,320 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We had loose dogs a few years ago and the Gardai said we could shot them if the animals were at risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

I'd say they already have a fair idea. And if the owners are semi-decent, they'll tell the farmer and let events take their natural course. Otherwise, this dog would reoffend, as tomwaterford said. Once they get a taste for blood & the chase, there's no going back.

Something similar happened to us in the past, and on the second occasion the owners of the dog were good-natured enough to put a stop to it. This kind of attack represents a massive financial loss, and has to be rooted out.

Legal if they're worrying sheep.

Based on my experience this is highly unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Insurance for dog attacks on sheep is prohibitive.Very very few farmers would have it.Priced it here a few times and even suffering a few doggie related incidents it would be very borderline.It also only covers direct losses and not ewes aborting or subsequent ill thrive due to stress etc.
    You can claim from the dog owners house policy(assuming you find the culprit and the owners have house insurance)
    SaveSave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

ken wrote: »
    Mod-Op updated and warning added so people don't lose their dinner.
    There's about a 1000 dinners lost just there.

Advertisement