Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help picking out components

Options
  • 08-08-2016 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

1. What is your budget? €1100 max €1200 including shipping

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming/watching movies

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? no

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need. Anything 24 and above

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? ---

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? a good gaming mouse maybe a keyboard as well

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Credit Card, paypal?

9. When are you purchasing? near future 2-3 weeks

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? no thx

I would like a nice case that i can do a bit of modding in the future.
    I'd like everything from one shop if possible, just don't want to wait for parts to arrive (that would kill me) :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭IRAC War

I went a little over budget in two ways: i) I went for a good looking white and clear build as you mentioned you wanted a moddable build. (ii) I used amazon, you can save by using the german sites - Amazon is just dead handy for part picking for me and the service is great.

So 1.389,21 gets you:

Samsung 950 PRO NVMe M.2 256 GB Solid State Drive - Black
    Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 - DUAL-GTX1060-6G 6 GB GDDR5 Memory 192 Bit 8008 MHz PCI Express 3 Graphics Card
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16W Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit - White
    WD 1TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - Caviar Blue
    BitFenix 45cm 6-Pin PCIe Extension Cable - Sleeved White/Black
    BitFenix 30cm 24-Pin ATX Extension Cable - Sleeved White/Black
    BitFenix 45cm 8-Pin EPS12V Extension Cable - Sleeved White/Black
    EVGA 600 W 80+ PC Power Supply Unit
    DEEPCOOL CAPTAIN240 Visible Cooling Liquid Water Cooling Liquid Cooler 240mm Radiator Two Quiet Fans
    Intel BX80662I56600K Core i5-6600K LGA1151 3.5 - 3.9 GHz CPU
    MSI Z170A KRAIT GAMING 3X Intel Z170 S 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 A+C ATX
    Thermaltake Core P5 Mid Tower ATX Case

All the components are white or have white highlights. An MSI Titanium mainboard would be better but waaaay more expensive. The case is very personal taste. It's a goldfish tank imho but it just shows what can be done.

I stress that if you focus less on aesthetics you can get a much better system, easily squeezing in a 1070, but others will do that for you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

You've managed to spec out a very impressive build, but it's a little much for someone asking for no overclocking and "gaming and movies" as the use case. No need to clutter the build with nice sleeved cables, that's for enthusiasts only, and even then a minority :)
    Not bashing the build, just point out that it's a little excessive :D

i5 6500
    B150 mobo
    2x 8gb 2133MHz DDR4
    RX480 4gb / GTX1060 (either are excellent)
    500W 80+ PSU
    250GB SSD (M.2 is nice if the mobo supports it, but standard SATA is also just fine)
    1TB HDD

Monitor, see this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057620958

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ved0o

The first build is just, wow.. Out of my budget and very impressive :D
    As i said i won't be doing the overclocking because i have never done it before.
    I would like to make it nice and pretty but on a budget :p so i need good looking case and the rest will come later.
    I would like to run new games on good graphic settings and good details as well games i would be playing would be new battlefield one, world of tanks, league of legends...
    Now, i need a monitor as well so will i go for ips screen or something curved? Recommendations please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Ved0o wrote: »
    As i said i won't be doing the overclocking because i have never done it before.
    I would like to make it nice and pretty but on a budget :p so i need good looking case and the rest will come later.
    I would like to run new games on good graphic settings and good details as well games i would be playing would be new battlefield one, world of tanks, league of legends...
    Now, i need a monitor as well so will i go for ips screen or something curved? Recommendations please :D
    Do you need a big case or do you want something smaller?
    Core i5 6400: €170 MF
    8GB 2133MHz DDR4 RAM: €30 MF
    128GB Kingston SSD: €50 MF
    1TB Seagate HDD: €45 MF
    MSI RX 470 4GB: €240 MF
    450W SilverStone SFF PSU: €60 AMA
    M-ITX Chassis: €70 AMA
    ViewSonic 24" FreeSync 1080p Monitor: €145 AMA
    DisplayPort 1.2 Cable: €5 AMA
    SteelSeries Rival 300: €55 AMA
    Any Keyboard you want: €60 AMA
    Total: €815 and roughly €855 with shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Sneak

Eoins build is very solid, for the monitor I would suggest looking at the AOC G2460PF.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭IRAC War

There's not really any point in overclocking anymore tbh. CPUs you're getting about 10% if you're lucky and have extra cost in cooling, GPUs overclock themselves.

On monitors it's really down to you. IPS panels are great but are slower than TN panels. On a budget I'd probably go with a good TN rather than a meh IPS for gaming. 27" gaming panels are pretty good value these days, they'd be 2560 x 1440p. You'd never get me off 21:9 ultrawide though now! So you might want to look at a 29" 2560x1080p set up. Bear in mind not all games support 21:9 but most do.

You can't really do pretty on a budget (although beauty is in the eye of the beholder). I'd personally pitch it at a level of making it look as good as you can for the given budget. You can't really add 'pretty' at a later date as you need to match everything up. You can add 'bling' but you might aswell do that at the start. Nice sleeved cables and a non-modular PSU isn't much different in price from a modular PSU then it's just a few LED strips.

Cases you'd really need to decide yourself. Personally I think the Air 240 is a great looking case and you can build a nice looking system in one with ease. Post up some links to cases you like and someone can chuck a build in it for you. They're only one of three standard sizes any way and everything will fit into an ATX case. Personally I think ATX is way too big these days though.

On the case side I'd like something smaller like mATX, carbide spec-m2 or Phanteks Enthoo Evolv

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

On the case side I'd like something smaller like mATX, carbide spec-m2 or Phanteks Enthoo Evolv

Well, the B150M chipset in mATX mobos are pretty good and cheap, usually around €75.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (€203.60 @ Mindfactory)
    Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4S Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (€75.50 @ Mindfactory)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (€34.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€138.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB ARMOR OC Video Card (€316.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Case: Corsair Carbide SPEC-M2 MicroATX Mid Tower Case (€56.94 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (€88.84 @ Mindfactory)
    Mouse: Razer DeathAdder World of Tanks Wired Optical Mouse (€49.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €965.69
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-10 17:38 CEST+0200

Leaves you with plenty of change for a monitor.

You can also go for AMD RX 470 OC // RX 480 and pair it with a Freesync monitor.

I've been playing around and i have made up this configuration
    www mindfactory de/shopping_cart.php/basket_action/load_basket_extern/id/57af9f221f0d87bd28692e77d714fdc335d07f83014a0a701a7

(add dots it won't allow me to post links...)
    any opinions on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I've been playing around and i have made up this configuration
    www mindfactory de/shopping_cart.php/basket_action/load_basket_extern/id/57af9f221f0d87bd28692e77d714fdc335d07f83014a0a701a7

(add dots it won't allow me to post links...)
    any opinions on it?

Don't skimp on the PSU for such a powerful machine.

Go with this Seasonic.

I would advise to order the monitor & case from Amazon UK/DE to save on shipping & for the after-sales support.

Advertisement