Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Monitors

Options
  • 11-07-2016 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,360 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

here is a good list of current monitors and their price range

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Solid list! The budget gaming monitors especially will be a good reference point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

One that seems to be missing is the Viewsonic XG2401.

It's a 24" 1080p 144Hz Freesync monitor and it has got a number of really good reviews.

Reviews:
    pcmonitors.info
    Hardware Canucks

Monitor Nerds
    Toms Guide
    It costs about £250 on Amazon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Great to have a list like that, because monitors is one area where I just haven't got a clue what's the latest, good or bad, upcoming or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

whats the best value 1440p 100-144hz monitor at the moment? ive an AoC 4k monitor but theres really no reliable solution for pushing 60fps, id love to try 144hz as well

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

• Advertisement

Looks like your average bog standard monitor to me!

It's probably grand. The BenQ monitor mentioned in the article is another option. Both are TN panels. There is also a really nice looking Asus IPS model which has really small bezels if that's your kind of thing.

whats the best value 1440p 100-144hz monitor at the moment? ive an AoC 4k monitor but theres really no reliable solution for pushing 60fps, id love to try 144hz as well

As mentioned in the article, it would be the overclockable Korean models. Mileage may vary.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The AOC G2460PG gsync 144hz 24" 1080 should be on that list.
    Granted the Acer XB241H they list in that guide is similar in almost every way but id take AOC quality over Acer any day.

Anyone even considering a 144hz screen, DO IT!!! the difference between 60hz and 144hz is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I really, really want to upgrade from my battered old Viewsonic VX2260wm, but it's tough deciding on screen size/resolution/Freesync or G-sync since I'm not sure when I'll upgrade GPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Its odd that the BenQ XL2730Z didnt make the list.
    Its a great monitor with FreeSync and very good image quality.

Tad too bright when it comes out of the box but the ICC profile is here if anyone wants it, http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

• Advertisement

The problem with the BenQ is that while it is FreeSync and 1440p, it has a TN panel. This means that it will lose out in the "Incredible 1440p FreeSync Gaming Display" section.

It will also lose out in the Budget 1440p FreeSync section because it isn't cheap.
    So it sits somewhere in the middle. Being an absolutely excellent monitor, but with a premium price tag for an aging tech (which is better for gaming so they got their demographic right, but reviewers will only see TN and snub it).

True enough.
    Pity as its a nice monitor and well worth the mention in here in any case.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Xenoronin wrote: »
    The problem with the BenQ is that while it is FreeSync and 1440p, it has a TN panel. This means that it will lose out in the "Incredible 1440p FreeSync Gaming Display" section.

It will also lose out in the Budget 1440p FreeSync section because it isn't cheap.
    So it sits somewhere in the middle. Being an absolutely excellent monitor, but with a premium price tag for an aging tech (which is better for gaming so they got their demographic right, but reviewers will only see TN and snub it).

I don't get this TN hate at all, sitting beside my 144hz gsync tn are two IPS 60 hz panels, a dell 1920x1200 and an LG 1440 , everyone goes on about superior IPS colours, while it does look a bit better its really hard to see with the naked eye and you really have to sit and compare to even notice anything, for me theres maybe 10% difference if at all, the main thing and the biggest factor for me is while gaming its is never an issue and barely noticeable at all.
    On the other hand the performance of a 144hz monitor compared to a 60hz is massive, I know which I use for gaming :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I'm not very sensitive to colours, having a colour defect for a start but to be fair on average and below TN panels the colours do wash out very quickly when viewing at an angle. Sat in front of the thing though, TN is grand and arguably better for gaming.

Id say if your gaming then your sitting in front of the screen, if you have multiple monitors set up in a circle around you then it might be an issue, or not.

Id recomend the Benq one if anyone sees one. Oddly they are going for 50quid more than when i bought mine atm on amazon.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Was hoping for a thread like this. Just upgraded the system to a 6700k & gtx1080 over the last month. Now looking at a 1440p monitor.

Any clear winners out there while I start my own research? Currently running a BenQ XL2430T which I bought a year ago and love but if I find a nice deal out there I might jump on it.

Price+Performance+Spec suggests the Acer model in that article. Available from overclockers.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Asume you mean the Predator XB271HU? Pretty much what I'm looking at off that chart anyway.
    I'll keep an eye on the prices over the next while and see if it drops a little. In no rush for the moment anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

In the market for a new monitor myself but amazon.co.uk won't ship to Ireland.

Any other sites recommended that will ship here?

I bought my monitor from Amazon so maybe it's the specific monitor you were looking at? Overclockers.co.uk definitely ship here anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Thanks for the link. The monitor I'm after is a good 50 euro more expensive on overclockers (once shipping is factored in).

Anyone ever used parcel motel to buy a monitor? Might be a bit risky...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

A tip for those looking into 144Hz monitors.

Do a google search on the model and flicker. Some monitors use PWM and as a result have a flicker on the display.

An example of PWM flicker on the Asus VG248QE

A really good reference in relation to PWM and flicker: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/pulse_width_modulation.htm
    A lot of monitors, especially the higher end and professional grade monitors will advertise a "Flicker Free Technology". This is what it relates to as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Just ordered an Acer XB271HU for my gtx 1080. Would have preferred the Rog Swift PG279Q for its design and better OSD but not worth the extra €80. They have the exact same specs otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Thanks for the link. The monitor I'm after is a good 50 euro more expensive on overclockers (once shipping is factored in).

Scan.co.uk are good, as are CCL

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

When you are talking about a large item at a high enough cost, its not worth using parcel motel. Because they deliver to the UK, if you want to ship a RMA from Ireland that's your problem and your cost, not theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I ordered an Eizo FG2421 on eBay.

120Hz + VA panel, hopefully it's not DOA!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

no mention of dell?

ordered a 1440p ips today, 25". gone with dell as the wife works there so a healthy discount, on top of a promotion they are running at the moment got it for me at almost 50% off. may not be ideal for gaming but at that price it was a bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

In the market for a new monitor myself but amazon.co.uk won't ship to Ireland.

Any other sites recommended that will ship here?

Amazon usually do ship to Ireland, it's the other sellers on Amazon that don't.

If you click on the "other sellers" link or 'New 3) from €xxx' link somewhere on the page you might get the Amazon price for that product and their shipping price (which should be free for a monitor).

Sometimes you can get a better price using other sellers than the advertised price on the main product page, I'm still not sure why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

When you are talking about a large item at a high enough cost, its not worth using parcel motel. Because they deliver to the UK, if you want to ship a RMA from Ireland that's your problem and your cost, not theirs

Actually I've returned a couple of items to Amazon UK recently. In one case I got a pre-printed return label for An Post so it cost nothing to return. The other went via Parcel Motel (they have return arrangements for Amazon) and only cost 3.50. I think it was via Collect+. Very handy.

Advertisement