Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M11/N11 - M50 (J4) to Coyne's Cross (J14) [options published]

Options
1353637383941»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Wouldn't those at that end of Herbert Road potentially benefit from the buses on the N11, if they had (asked for?) the bus stops? And the active travel route? Also, will reduce the traffic into Bray via that route, opening more active travel/ access to the town.

Given part of the proposal is to improve the traffic flow at Hills, it's a bit apples and oranges to compare the current traffic flows to at the end of the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I suppose they could walk/cycle to the proposed P&R at Fassaroe over the existing footbridge, but you're asking people to look at the wider picture, which usually doesn't work in these consultations when local politicians are assuming the worst case scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭prunudo

From reading comments on fb it seems that the general gripe is (a) there are no buses so why do we need a buslane (b) there are no buses that benefit me, so why do we need a buslane, (c) I've always used the Herbert rd junction so don't want to be inconvenienced.

Also seems to be a large number that don't understand the scope of the works and who cant read plans so just believe all the negative aspects of the project they read on social media.

I've mentioned this on others threads, but Tii need to be much more proactive in how they present projects and need to put more positive spin on them. It only feeds the naysayers and nimbys who want to derail projects.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tensions rise over roads spending as Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil press Eamon Ryan

Interesting that Simon Harris made a contribution. The only major project in his constituency is this one.

One valid point I saw on FB was that in the main N11 plan, a service road would have been built between J6 and J7 to pick up Herbert Rd and the other minor accesses. In the bus lane plan, that is only being built as a small connecting road from J6 to Dargle Lane and Herbert Rd. will not be connected to it.

While you're right that there's some element of "I've always driven this way, why should I change"; it almost certainly will increase traffic within western Bray in the short term at least. Traffic patterns may shift subsequently, traffic evaporation may occur etc but that's a hard sell.

• Advertisement

Yeah, said this last year, that plan was on a whole quite good and addressed a lot of the flow issues that currently cause a lot of the congestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Front Page of the Wicklow Times devoted to Joe Behan/ residents opposing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Closing off the Herbert road egress will push traffic back to Kilbride lane where the traffic lights there at the top of the Boghall road is already chaotic. That junction would benefit from being converted to a roundabout but that won't happen with the need for pedestrian crossings - especially for Bray School Project

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Exactly. That junction is a disaster already with the traffic light timing giving priority to the other 3 arms of the junction. It's not uncommon to sit through 3 or 4 light changes when trying to get on to Killarney Road from Kilbride Lane which, if the Herbert Road junction is closed off, will be the only option anybody at the southern end of Herbert Road will have to access the N11 in either direction.

• Advertisement

While I appreciate the councillors have to represent their electorate, they also need to understand the n11 is an important national route.

Every day, one junction journeys by people using it as a local road are having a serious impact on the traffic flows, ( often as there no other options, but this where links roads help).

The road needs to be upgraded, but every time the engineers and consultants design and propose plans, the councillors and noisey locals throw their toys out of the pram.

I'd say 90% of those complaints are about the Herbert Road junction. There's been a concerted campaign to keep it open, and it's not rich lawyer types, it's people who live in the estates on the west side of Bray.

Exactly. You only have to look at the amount of traffic taking that exit especially in the evenings to see that closing that would only result in the tailback for the Bray South exit extending even further back on the hard shoulder than it is already.

I'd say they may revisit the larger N11 plan which included a link road between J6 and J7 that connected to Herbert Road.

I remember that. The topology of the area would make building anything like that interesting to say the least. There are some quite steep drops in places between the edge of any housing along the Herbert Road and the Dargle valley.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It’ll be interesting to see what happens here given the Taoiseach elect’s apparent unhappiness with Ministerial stonewalling of this project in Fine Gael PP and Cabinet meetings in the past 12 months

Wasn't he one of the politicians sticking his oar in, utlimatley causing the canning of the mainline upgrade project which included minor junction closures and link roads to reduce local traffic from mainline.

he's probably only going to be Taoiseach for a year at most, he'll be limited in how many sweeties he can hand out in Wicklow.

Advertisement