Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Motorbike Learner Permit

Options
  • 06-08-2016 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi guys,

So I have my full car license for the last 9 years. I want to get my motorbike license. I had my provisional in 2004 but it has long since expired.

Can I just get the learner permit added now to my full license or do i need to do the theory test again? Cant find the answer on the licensing website.

Cheers,

Emma :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Full licences issued after 21 October 2006 no longer carry an automatic entitlement to Category A.

I think you might have just scraped through OP .

Ring the NDLS to double check though .

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭oEmmao

so i had my provisonal bike license in 2004 and took the test and failed

i let that license lapse

then started to drive a car in 2007 and got the full car license that year

i have sent the NDLS an enquiry but nothing yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

I think seen's its past 2006 you might have to do the theory and that OP :(

i passed my full car in 2008 and they said if i was 2 years early i could've added the category

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Sorry for a C&P answer but I think my old post might answer some of your questions.
    cantdecide wrote: »
    You might not have to get the Theory Test but it depends:

In a nutshell, what matters is which theory test you took when you started driving cars. Before the middle of 2006, it was the same theory test for bikes and cars and it doesn't expire and would still be valid today. If you got this "Type 1" theory test before the middle of 2006, passing the test will have given perpetual validity to the theory test and you won't have to get a new theory test now for the bike categories.

If you either took no theory test at all (eg you were on provisionals for many years before taking the driving test) or you took the car-specific theory test sometime from 2007 on, you will have to get the AM DTT now as you won't have a valid DTT on file.

If you're in any doubt, the best thing is to call the NDLS with your driver number ready and ask them if you have the "Type 1 DTT" on file. If not, you'll be booking a DTT.

I would advise you to be very clear about this- this is a somewhat obscure rule and there are tons of people in a position like yours who either mistakenly believe or have been mistakenly advised that they are required to take a new DTT.

pudzey101 wrote: »
    I think seen's its past 2006 you might have to do the theory and that OP :(

i passed my full car in 2008 and they said if i was 2 years early i could've added the category

I have a feeling you might be in the same position as the OP.

I have a feeling you're mixing up a couple of rules- the automatic entitlement to the scooter category (AM) after passing the B test did cease in 10/2006. After this date, the only entitlements that were issued to people that passed the B test is B&W.

However, whether the OP holds the AM full entitlement or not, it won't affect affect the issue of whether or not she has to take the motorcycle theory test. The confusion is often caused because the scooter category is called 'AM' (M being moped) and also the theory test for all motorcycles and scooters is called the 'AM' Driver Theory Test.

Just as a general point, if a person has a full licence and wish to apply to learn to driver other categories such as bikes, buses or trucks, the driver keeps the full licence they have and will be issued a new learner permit in the learner categories. They're pretty much separate licences.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭oEmmao

thanks guys, ive sent a general enquiry message, but will include my driver number when they get back to me as i did do the theory test at some stage, just no idea what year

• Advertisement
Advertisement