Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B Licence 8 yrs. Do I need to do the theory test?

Options
  • 05-06-2016 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hey all, just looking for some clarification. I have my Full B licence for 8 years now, do I need to do the theory test to add A1? On the RSA website it says complete a D201 to apply for a learner permit in other categories. One of the requirements is "A theory test pass certificate (if applicable) (dated within 2 years). I just can't find any info whether or not I would need it.

Thanks folks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

You defo have to do it, different category.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you have a B licence for 8 years why restrict yourself to A1? Get the A licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

You might not have to get the Theory Test but it depends:

In a nutshell, what matters is which theory test you took when you started driving cars. Before the middle of 2006, it was the same theory test for bikes and cars and it doesn't expire and would still be valid today. If you got this "Type 1" theory test before the middle of 2006, passing the test will have given perpetual validity to the theory test and you won't have to get a new theory test now for the bike categories.

If you either took no theory test at all (eg you were on provisionals for many years before taking the driving test) or you took the car-specific theory test sometime from 2007 on, you will have to get the AM DTT now as you won't have a valid DTT on file.

If you're in any doubt, the best thing is to call the NDLS with your driver number ready and ask them if you have the "Type 1 DTT" on file. If not, you'll be booking a DTT.

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you have a B licence for 8 years why restrict yourself to A1? Get the A licence.

100% agreed. It's almost the same rigmarole to get a AM class bike as the full A. The worst case scenario is having to use a school bike for the A test instead of your own.

Advertisement