Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst public transport you've used

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Was in Lisbon recently. Thought it was decent. Streets ahead of Dublin anyway. 4 metro lines which all interconnect with each other. The train to Cascais was quick and reliable. The commuter trains terminate in different stations though which would be annoying if you were living on the Cascais line and wanted to get to somewhere on the Sintra line. Didn't take the trams other than the tourist one. Just walked if it wasn't Metro or train. Definitely nowhere near Central Europe but far from being the worst you'll get.

Yeah Lisbon' grand. It's a pretty robust system. No reason to be on the surface much with their metro - trams tend to be packed with tourists though, especially the antique ones.

I was impressed how I was able to move around with no problem without any prior preparation, their information is pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

mhge wrote: »
    Yeah Lisbon' grand. It's a pretty robust system. No reason to be on the surface much with their metro - trams tend to be packed with tourists though, especially the antique ones.

I was impressed how I was able to move around with no problem without any prior preparation, their information is pretty good.

I was in Lisbon years ago and thought their public transport was decent enough I remember staying outside the city and taking a Dart type service into the cc. The trains ran frequently enough from what I remember the trains and stations were quite run down and had quite a lot of graffiti. Also the drivers were terrible I remember taking a taxi from the airport and driver was on the phone for the whole journey I think they have one of highest amounts of road deaths in europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Cambodia, any bus anywhere, talk about gigantic pot holes on dirt roads. Various armed chckpoints,shady stares from the coppers, over 2 decades ago so maybe it has improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Polar101 wrote: »
    ?

Lisbon - they have a decent metro system and commuter trains, but I found trams to be always overcrowded to the point of not actually getting on one, and the bus service was extremely slow. This probably has something to do with the geography of the city, as it is quite hilly and there are a lot of narrow streets. But still, didn't really feel it was up to scratch with any other European capital I've visited.

I was in Porto last week and while a lovely city (2nd biggest after Lisbon I think) we had huge problems with the metro. We barely managed to get on at the airport, it was so full, and it made for a very uncomfortable 30-minute trip to the city.

Days later, on a different line, it was even worse. Three metros in a row were so full almost no one in our station could get on, and many tourists were extremely unimpressed. A few of us ended up banding together and sharing taxis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

JayRoc wrote: »
    I was in Porto last week and while a lovely city (2nd biggest after Lisbon I think) we had huge problems with the metro. We barely managed to get on at the airport, it was so full, and it made for a very uncomfortable 30-minute trip to the city.

Days later, on a different line, it was even worse. Three metros in a row were so full almost no one in our station could get on, and many tourists were extremely unimpressed. A few of us ended up banding together and sharing taxis.

The metro in Porto looks more like a tram than a normal underground train that is similar to what is planned for Metro North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

One of those minibus yokes that travels around the areas around Mombasa with very, very large women in it. Still on a more reliable timetable than Dublin bus though...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Now that I think of it, Dublin on a bank holiday weekend. Sunday timetables are bad enough, and we get two Sundays in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭NikoTopps

Athens,Greece.My boyfriend is from there so i am there fairly often.They stil use the paper tickets which you have to validate on a machine but ticket cost 1,60€ for 90mins valid across all methods of transport.But the vast majority of Athenians have an attitude where they think they dont have to pay,so you will never see people go to the ticket machine or the ticket validator on board to buy their ticket,only tourist do that.And then they will complain why their system is overcrowded,train covered in graffiti and station are just dirty and unkept.My favourite thing is the ghost train where you see a timetabled train appear to show up but it never does!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,641 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Chivito550 wrote: »

In terms of big first world cities, Dublin and Auckland are as bad as it gets outside the USA.

Having lived in both I would tend to agree. Its no coincidence either that both Auckland and Dublin have extremely bad planning with some of the lowest densities of population per sqkm anywhere in the world. The traffic in Auckland is horrendous as people commute longer and longer distances from work, as they do here.

However I think that in both Dublin and Auckland it is not necessarily the case that the public transport in and of itself is *bad*, I think the main factor is atrocious urban planning that has allowed miles and miles of suburbs grow at no more than two stories high. When you do this I think it is next to impossible to provide *good* public transport to service such urban sprawl.

Advertisement