Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standards

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

Candie wrote: »
    You can forgive people not being beautiful, most of us aren't.

It takes a special kind of ugly to be completely unattractive, and it's mainly because of what's on the inside.

Uh huh.

I definitely do think ugly can only come from the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

OP is a feeder

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Post a pic PMme Nudes so we can all see how attractive and thin you are. Oh and of course perfect.

I always found growing up it was always the UG in school who thought he was only gorgeous. Telpis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Yeah, I'd post on the Feminism forum instead but there doesn't seem to be one

There is one. You're just too privileged to see it. Check your privilege enough and you'll see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

beks101 wrote: »
    There's "supermodel-hot" and then there's the ordinary humans walking the planet around you, who for the most part are average and non spectacular and fat and thin and smart and a bit less smart and pretty and ordinary looking and sometimes worlds collide and sparks fly and people find themselves in relationships with people that others would overlook. Such is life.

Exactly, most of us are at or near the apex of the bell curve.

Like this: https://s31.postimg.org/npbfmp7tn/2014_10_03_blogbellcurve.png

• Advertisement

You can forgive people not being beautiful, most of us aren't.

It takes a special kind of ugly to be completely unattractive, and it's mainly because of what's on the inside.

HAH!
    Yeah, naw...
    One of the nicer buggers I knew would bend over backwards for anyone. We were friends because we didn't generally do bull**** and worked well together for it. Sharp as a tack too. You did not want to try anything behind his back... Sharp enough to know just how disadvantaged he was on the looks scale.. Think "Brian Peppers" levels of beauty...

This horse **** of "ah no, yer only pure gorge, shur it's what's inside dat counts luv" coming from people who would never, ever consider a relationship with someone looking like him did far more damage than good, because he was smart enough to see it for the faux pity horse **** it was. I was one of his few friends because I agreed with him - we agreed on lot's of stuff actually - and didn't generally care much for looks anyway. Then again we weren't courting... The man could be called for help at 3am in winter and he'd be right there. Nicer chap you could not meet. Confident fecker too, didn't just wilt away as a recluse. Stayed out "looking for love" to the bitter end, but simply never got it.
    Died in England a few years later. It is absolutely possible to be "too ugly for love".

Because its lust at first sight, not love...

As I said said him one night 'If only the women nearly as ugly as you weren't twice as ugly inside, you'd be sorted'.
    The man nearly choked on his chips laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

HAH!
    Yeah, naw...
    One of the nicer buggers I knew would bend over backwards for anyone. We were friends because we didn't generally do bull**** and worked well together for it. Sharp as a tack too. You did not want to try anything behind his back... Sharp enough to know just how disadvantaged he was on the looks scale.. Think "Brian Peppers" levels of beauty...

This horse **** of "ah no, yer only pure gorge, shur it's what's inside dat counts luv" coming from people who would never, ever consider a relationship with someone looking like him did far more damage than good, because he was smart enough to see it for the faux pity horse **** it was. I was one of his few friends because I agreed with him - we agreed on lot's of stuff actually - and didn't generally care much for looks anyway. Then again we weren't courting... The man could be called for help at 3am in winter and he'd be right there. Nicer chap you could not meet. Confident fecker too, didn't just wilt away as a recluse. Stayed out "looking for love" to the bitter end, but simply never got it.
    Died in England a few years later. It is absolutely possible to be "too ugly for love".

As I said said him one night 'If only the women nearly as ugly as you weren't twice as ugly inside, you'd be sorted'.

Fck sake it had to have a lousy ending, didn't it?!

Fck sake it had to have a lousy ending, didn't it?!

Life usually does :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Large people are naturally attracted to each other
    I guess you can say they gravitate towards each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

cython wrote: »
    They also exert larger gravitational fields by virtue of their masses, and the complementary effect of two gravity wells is what draws them together..... :pac:
    biko wrote: »
    I guess you can say they gravitate towards each other.
    Gravitationally, wouldn't small things be more likely to be attracted to larger objects, not large to large?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

HAH!
    Yeah, naw...

+ ****ing 1.

I know plenty of absolute wagons of women and cheating bastards of fellas who are never short of attention from the opposite sex because they are good looking. People don't give two ****s about their personalities, they just want to **** them.

There's one friend in particular i have that put her now husband through absolute torture for about 2 years before they got married. Broke up with him, got back together and cheated on him a good few times, refused to let him see his kid, etc, etc. She got away with it because she is frankly stunning looking.

Another friend of mine had a great looking fella who cheated on her on a weekly basis and she stuck by him until she lost a bunch of friends and members of her family gave up on her. If you talk to her about it now she'll admit that she stuck with him because he was so good looking and it made her feel good to show off the he was "hers".

On the other hand, i know plenty of less-than-great-looking (to be polite) people who are the nicest, most down to earth people you could meet and have never and will never find someone because no one could be attracted to them that way.

We're just animals after all. We go after the people who have obvious visually desirable characteristics.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Do people driving bangers really prefer them over an Aston Martin?

Can you really compare humans with cars?

I was somewhat joking, but come on, of course people are more physically attracted to attractive people than unattractive ones. The OP mentions fat people but the title of the thread is standards and so I feel they are in fact speaking more broadly than it appears.

The way I see it is that it's extremely naïve to think that people who are 'not exactly models', just also happen to fancy other people who also are 'not exactly models'. Of course they are settling. Would be a mad coincidence otherwise, don't you think. There'll always be exceptions of course. Have a neighbour who is defiantly punching above his weight for example, but by and large (excuse the pun) like tends to end up living in the suburbs with like... whacking off to better looking people when they get the house to themselves.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I was somewhat joking, but come on, of course people are more physically attracted to attractive people than unattractive ones. The OP mentions fat people but the title of the thread is standards and so I feel they are in fact speaking more broadly than it appears.

The way I see it is that it's extremely naïve to think that people who are 'not exactly models', just also happen to fancy other people who also are 'not exactly models'. Of course they are settling. Would be a mad coincidence otherwise, don't you think. There'll always be exceptions of course. Have a neighbour who is defiantly punching above his weight for example, but by and large (excuse the pun) like tends to end up living in the suburbs with like... whacking off to better looking people when they get the house to themselves.

I dunno Pete. Do you mean that the vast majority of folks out there in the burbs have settled for lack of better offers? I am not disputing that there are a hell of a lot of ramshack unions out there, plenty in fact. However, when George Clooney or Brad Pitt, or whomever the hunk du jour is, I am sure they fantasize about women that are not their OH. In that sense, would they not be settling too, even though they would be at the top of the gene pool looks wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I don't know that I like the term "settling" because it infers that they're forgoing some amount of happiness. I think the below-average attractive people can be wonderfully happy in a relationship, especially those who've come to terms with their looks and start prioritizing other attributes in a relationship. Which is, by the way, something most of us will end up having to do as we age and as our looks fade. So in a way, they're just a step ahead of their more attractive peers.

But I don't think that's settling. I think that's a healthy recognition that while physical attractiveness is important, it is not the only ingredient, or even the only kind of attractiveness, required for a truly long term and loving relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I think people who generalize are mongo's, I'm 5'5'' and a little fat stumpy fecker, when I met my wife, who's 5'10'' and worked as a model, years ago, she told me she was sick of hearing the same old shíte from sleezy cnuts coming on to her, and when she met me and seen I was genuine and funny, she saw through the stumpyness and loved me for the person I am, still married 16 years later, and she's still a hottie, and I'm still a fat stumpy little bollix

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Well, I have heard women being referred as depreciating assets. Lllllovely. :rolleyes: Because of course that paunchy late 50s man is as hot as he ever was. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

uch wrote: »
    I think people who generalize are mongo's, I'm 5'5'' and a little fat stumpy fecker, when I met my wife, who's 5'10'' and worked as a model, years ago, she told me she was sick of hearing the same old shíte from sleezy cnuts coming on to her, and when she met me and seen I was genuine and funny, she saw through the stumpyness and loved me for the person I am, still married 16 years later, and she's still a hottie, and I'm still a fat stumpy little bollix

So what you're saying is you're rich?

• Advertisement

mzungu wrote: »
    I dunno Pete. Do you mean that the vast majority of folks out there in the burbs have settled for lack of better offers? I am not disputing that there are a hell of a lot of ramshack unions out there, plenty in fact. However, when George Clooney or Brad Pitt, or whomever the hunk du jour is, I am sure they fantasize about women that are not their OH. In that sense, would they not be settling too, even though they would be at the top of the gene pool looks wise?

Well, I'm only really using the word 'settled' because the OP used it, but what I mean is that people make their choices based on what choices are available to them and for most people what is 'available to them' is not their ideal (physically speaking at least). I don't mean that the majority of people who find themselves settled down have all gone 'Ah fcuk it, you'll do' at some point but in general unattractive people don't tend to do very well with attractive people. You'll always get the odd Julia Roberts / Lyle Lovett type combos of course, but then money is a great leveller. Jay Z wouldn't be getting anywhere near Beyoncé if he was working at Popeyes.

The fact that some people do end up with partners who are way better looking than them is more than enough reason to try for that person though. I certainly don't think anyone should let the fact that they weren't aesthetically blessed put them off doing so. Go for it, life's too short not to, we only go round once., best of luck and all that, but chances are they'll end up with a 'Nah you're grand'.. at best.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

It might be my age speaking, but I never really found myself attracted to people who are considered attractive by general consensus - not the guy in class many of the girls were hot for, not Brad Pitt, not George Clooney, they just honest to goodness never did anything for me.
    Same with the ladies, too. I would not generally be attracted to the slim ones considered beautiful.
    In fact, I've got an extremely hard time sometimes telling people considered to be beautiful apart, they look very much the same to me quite often.

That's not saying I don't like beauty, far from it. I just seem to see it in other things and other people than the majority.
    As such, I love women with really full curves. And I like men that are "chubby" (for lack of a better word) - for me it's the distribution of weight and how it makes the person look overall. But I would rarely if ever go for anyone slim. And never for anyone considered athletic.

Funnily enough, the same is true with my taste in cars. I find any kind of sporty car extremely ugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Standards are for virgins

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ( or beer-holder as the joke goes :D )
    That's not so much true. There are known formulas and ratios that are aesthetically pleasing to people, they're fundamentals that don't preclude fat people. Just think of babies, fat little feckers that own cute. It's a matter of preference after that.
    beks101 wrote: »
    Isn't there a study knocking about somewhere about how people tend to couple up with others of similar body fat to them? Sure I read something to that effect once.
    I remember hearing or reading something about most people choosing people that have similar features to them. If you look at couples you'll see some that could pass for brother and sister they look so similar. Other times the similarities are much more subtle. It was making out that we're all narcissists.

Of course in humans physical beauty and fitness aren't essential. A king could be fat and useless and still be attractive because of the lifestyle they can provide. There are so many variables in human society that all you can do is talk in generalities and statistical likelihoods. There are no hard and fast rules, each person's experiences will affect what they find attractive.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I just seem to see it in other things and other people than the majority.

I hear ya, but it's the majority I was talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

Large people are naturally attracted to each other because in the event of a food shortage they can eat each other.

cython wrote:
    They also exert larger gravitational fields by virtue of their masses, and the complementary effect of two gravity wells is what draws them together.....

As a fat person, I find these hilarious!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I hear ya, but it's the majority I was talking about.

The majority of fat, unattractive people? ;)

Advertisement