Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray-Greystones Cliff Walk

Options
  • 03-08-2016 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of doing this walk this weekend - but starting from the Greystones side. I have done half of it before from the Bray side around three years ago, but had to turn back as we didn't have the time to finish it that day.

I'm just wondering if there's any problems I should know about regarding access or erosion at the moment? The part we did on the Bray side was fine at the time (clear path, safe just uneven ground) - is it the same on the Greystones side, or does it become more uneven? Is the descent on the Greystones side safe and simple enough? I'll be doing it with an older person and although they are very fit, healthy and active I would worry if it was very uneven or steep.

Thanks for any advice or information.
    Post edited by 2011 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No problems, walk is completely open and safe. Go for it and enjoy.

I would not say it's too steep, there is one section with steps but it's very manageable and I have seen plenty of elderly people do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭homer911

If they have a walking stick, or walking poles, it might be a good idea to bring them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Yeah, there's no problems at all. It gets a bit rocky in the middle, but just keep an eye where you're putting your feet and you'll be grand. There's a small set of steps - maybe ten up and then down again - half way as well. The Greystones half is probably a bit easier than the Bray half to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

I'm thinking of doing this walk this weekend - but starting from the Greystones side. I have done half of it before from the Bray side around three years ago, but had to turn back as we didn't have the time to finish it that day.

I'm just wondering if there's any problems I should know about regarding access or erosion at the moment? The part we did on the Bray side was fine at the time (clear path, safe just uneven ground) - is it the same on the Greystones side, or does it become more uneven? Is the descent on the Greystones side safe and simple enough? I'll be doing it with an older person and although they are very fit, healthy and active I would worry if it was very uneven or steep.

Thanks for any advice or information.

I've seen people push prams down the rocky path, lol. It is a bit rocky in the middle but nothing too crazy.

It's a lovely walk. I've done it twice in the last year. I always go from Greystones to Bray. Good idea to bring plenty of water a nice chocolate snack is good a long the way too. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,149 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Incidentally, if ye both feel up to it, about half way along, you can turn off to the left and follow an upper path, which ultimately leads to Bray Head. It's a little bit rocky for about 20 yards in one place - as in, you're picking your way along rocks rather than following a path - but other than that, it's smoother than the main track. And it's quieter up on top, and there's nicer views. From Bray Head, it's a muddy path back down to Bray, which you need to be a bit careful on - a bit of a tangle of tree roots, etc - but which should be grand.

The turn-off isn't marked, but as I say, it's about half way along, and before the steps. A map might show you exactly where it is.

Just worth keeping in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

homer911 wrote: »
    If they have a walking stick, or walking poles, it might be a good idea to bring them

If they can walk normally and steady then I would not agree with this at all. The walk is not challenging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Thanks everyone. Sounds like there won't be a problem. Hopefully the weather picks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Theres a part in the middle with steep steps you just need to do it slowly and its fine

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We did this three weeks ago, our youngest is 8. No problems at all, it's a very easy walk and very enjoyable watching the trains duck in and out of the tunnels along the sea.
    We walked from Greystones to Bray in 1:45, had Lunch and got the train back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭fjon

I cycled it yesterday evening and it was very pleasant. No erosion problems to speak of, but I noticed that the very end at Greystones has changed quite a bit due to the works on the Marina Village there. If you're accessing it from that side there are a few small "detour" posters that you need to follow to access the path. It wasn't the easiest to find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

There are a number of youtube videos of the walk that might give you an idea. This one covers Bray to Greystones. It is dated 2011 so it is possible that the Greystones end might have changed since but two relatives of mine (70 years plus) walked it in May of this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKFr2M3BdRE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Well we walked it today. It took around 1:40 so a lot shorter than expected. The path was fine so no problems. The steps were a little tricky but nothing too bad and then a short rocky patch in the middle but otherwise easy as you all said. It was much busier than expected.

We really enjoyed it but felt the Bray half up until the steps is by far the more interesting part. We may just go that far from Bray then turn back next time as we're more interested in the sea views and Bray is so much easier to get to.

Thanks again for all the advice and information received here.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Looking for information and can only find this old thread , so apologies.

I am not very familiar with the area but plan to park in Bray harbour and walk to greystones along the Cliff walk Tomorrow.. From what I can see this would be around 9km ? Does this sound right ?

If we decide to get the DART back to Bray is there only one station in Bray to get off at to walk back to Bray Harbour ?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marko99

Yes, only one station in Bray and it's about 5 minutes walk from the harbour. You can also take buses 84 and 184 from Greystones to Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭SteM

I think Bray harbour to Greystones harbour is closer to 10k there and back on the cliff walk.

Yes, there's only one station in Bray. Just get off there and walk back to the harbour.

SteM wrote: »
    I think Bray harbour to Greystones harbour is closer to 10k there and back on the cliff walk.

Yes, there's only one station in Bray. Just get off there and walk back to the harbour.

Thanks...so that's a 20k round trip or 10k one way ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, it'd be just shy of 9km from Bray Harbour to Greystones Dart Station. Only one station in Bray, the first one after leaving Greystones, but check the times first, they might not be too frequent on NYE.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Be aware that dart/bus are running on a Saturday schedule tomorrow so are less frequent

Thanks foe all the replies. i will check the times in advance....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I drove to the car park in Bray, Walked up the forest path to Bray head, then walked the upstairs path a km or so till there was a gate leading to rocks and path to bring you down to the cliff walk path, then on to Greystones and went to the HappyPear for lunch. Then I walked back to Bray sticking to the cliff walk path the full way. The path is much nicer on the Bray half, this us where the nice views of the sea and railway are. In middle the path can be a bit narrow, then opens out again as you approach Greystones. It’s a bit weird how you land into a new housing estate when you get to Greystones.
    Would recommend this, views from Bray head are great, and the climb up to it and then down a bit further on are good. Then sticking to the path on way back you can have a nice relaxing walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

It’s a bit weird how you land into a new housing estate when you get to Greystones.

I think it will be rerouted through the marina once the building works are complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭steinbock123

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread, but does anyone know if the Bray - Greystones cliff walk is open or closed at the moment? Want to go there on New Year’s Day, but a friend said it’s currently off limits to the public due to rock falls . Anyone know if this is correct ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

I was there in November and it was still closed. I doubt that has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Have a look at this thread...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement