Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free European Email Services?

Options
  • 01-08-2016 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭

Hi.

What are decent Free European Email Services? Preferably Irish.

Cheers.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

bump

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MS Host their outlook accounts for the EU in Ireland.

ED E wrote: »
    MS Host their outlook accounts for the EU in Ireland.

Hi Ed. I would not go near m$.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

What has your own research turned up?

Have you considered self-hosting?

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi.

What are decent Free European Email Services? Preferably Irish.

Cheers.

liamo wrote: »
    What has your own research turned up?

Have you considered self-hosting?

Hi liamo. I'm still looking. Self hosting seems too complex and impractical.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Gmail.

Gmail.

Hi demanufactured.

No thanks. I'm getting very wary of google and their snooping.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

https://protonmail.com

Sounds like this is what you're after. Free storage plan is ok but not great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

If it's secure you want, why not ProtonMail. It's hosted in Switzerland, so won't give up your bank account details!!! :p

Hi @GreatDefector, @MMFITWGDV.

ProtonMail looks great -- I've heard of them before and Tutanota are another similar alternative. The one downside is that I don't think they can be used easily within the Thunderbird email client (I should have mentioned that I use a client).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Hi @GreatDefector, @MMFITWGDV.

ProtonMail looks great -- I've heard of them before and Tutanota are another similar alternative. The one downside is that I don't think they can be used easily within the Thunderbird email client (I should have mentioned that I use a client).

What specific issues are your getting? Haven't tried but should support pop/imap. Maybe it doesn't but presume like most mail services that it does

What specific issues are your getting? Haven't tried but should support pop/imap. Maybe it doesn't but presume like most mail services that it does

Hi GD.

The issue with using ProtonMail or Tutanota in Thunderbird is the encryption setup.

The first question on their "Why won't it let me" page is about external clients and why you can't use them.

Paranoid...

Hi GD.

The issue with using ProtonMail or Tutanota in Thunderbird is the encryption setup.

Cant have your cake and eat it.

ED E wrote: »
    Cant have your cake and eat it.

Not yet.

Paranoid...

You're not being helpful with such an airheaded comment.

What are the best free Irish email providers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Shishkebaby

Paranoid...

You're not being helpful with such an airheaded comment.
    in his defense you're not helping us help you

You wanted an Irish / European Email service's , the suggestions you were Given
    Microsoft
    Google
    Protonmail
    but they don't meet your 'other' requirements which you never specified why does it have to be Ireland why not the UK ? what services do they need to offer encryption, storage.... ? do you need pop or imap access.... ? ect

What results has you're own research showed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

What are the best free Irish email providers?
    Define an "Irish email provider". Irish-owned? Irish branch of a multinational? Servers must be located in Ireland?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

in his defense you're not helping us help you

You wanted an Irish / European Email service's , the suggestions you were Given
    Microsoft
    Google
    Protonmail
    but they don't meet your 'other' requirements which you never specified why does it have to be Ireland why not the UK ? what services do they need to offer encryption, storage.... ? do you need pop or imap access.... ? ect

What results has you're own research showed ?

You're defending the dizzy comment by demanufactured? Seriously?
    I'd call m$ and gmail American.
    I covered why ProtonMail won't do for now.
    I never said it can't be a UK based one – hence why I said 'European' in the title. I only mentioned Irish email providers to get more options.
    Yes, I should have mentioned IMAP and Thunderbird in post #1.
    I'm still researching.

28064212 wrote: »
    Define an "Irish email provider". Irish-owned? Irish branch of a multinational? Servers must be located in Ireland?

Originated in Ireland. Preferably Irish owned with servers in Ireland/other part of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Jesus, if you're so paranoid and finicky just host your own, it's not difficult nor expense these day and you have 100% control over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

eir still have a free email service if you are a customer. Servers in Ireland afaik

https://www.eir.ie/email

Email is not free to host and run.

So either they:
    Sell your data to make money
    Show you ads via a web only interface
    Charge you for the service.

If you want encrypted, EU hosted and client supporting email you'll need to pay for it.

Something like Blacknight or OVH are who you wanna look at.

You're defending the dizzy comment by demanufactured? Seriously?
    I'd call m$ and gmail American.
    I covered why ProtonMail won't do for now.
    I never said it can't be a UK based one – hence why I said 'European' in the title. I only mentioned Irish email providers to get more options.
    Yes, I should have mentioned IMAP and Thunderbird in post #1.
    I'm still researching.

You posted on a public forum ..you are going to get opinions etc

As an IT admin I don't see why you wouldn't use Gmail or Ms.
    They are as secure as you can get.
    That or as already said.....host your own.
    Just an opinion.

davo2001 wrote: »
    Jesus, if you're so paranoid and finicky just host your own, it's not difficult nor expense these day and you have 100% control over it.

Another unhelpful plus erroneous comment. Self hosting was already covered.

You posted on a public forum ..you are going to get opinions etc

As an IT admin I don't see why you wouldn't use Gmail or Ms.
    They are as secure as you can get.
    That or as already said.....host your own.
    Just an opinion.

Yes, I should have expected some ridiculous ones alright.

I despise micro$oft and am becoming really sick of google. Again, self hosting was already covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭zg3409

You could consider encrypting data using existing providers. There are some plug ins for browsers etc, thunderbird etc.
    Who ever you pick, all email is UNENCRYPTED, and every server it passes through can copy your email. Email is like sending a post card, no security, no way of stopping anyone from reading/copying it.

As already suggested "free" non ISP based services generally have to advertise etc. to pay for the service. Most block POP3 or have a premium version you need to pay for. I would be very hesitant to change email provider to a free service that offered POP3 as they are likely to stop POP3 or change it to a pay service. I was with a online POP3 service and it suddenly became paid.

For spam filtering you cannot beat gmail. If you use non-gmail I would worry about spam, assuming you do not block random email addresses.

As suggested some Irish ISP based email might be the way to go, although un encrypted email is guaranteed to be swallowed up by anyone who likes it. My mother uses oceanfree POP......

• Advertisement

zg3409 wrote: »
    You could consider encrypting data using existing providers. There are some plug ins for browsers etc, thunderbird etc.
    Who ever you pick, all email is UNENCRYPTED, and every server it passes through can copy your email. Email is like sending a post card, no security, no way of stopping anyone from reading/copying it.

As already suggested "free" non ISP based services generally have to advertise etc. to pay for the service. Most block POP3 or have a premium version you need to pay for. I would be very hesitant to change email provider to a free service that offered POP3 as they are likely to stop POP3 or change it to a pay service. I was with a online POP3 service and it suddenly became paid.

For spam filtering you cannot beat gmail. If you use non-gmail I would worry about spam, assuming you do not block random email addresses.

As suggested some Irish ISP based email might be the way to go, although un encrypted email is guaranteed to be swallowed up by anyone who likes it. My mother uses oceanfree POP......

Have you not heard of TLS? Where there is a TLS connection between two mail servers, all mail is transmitted encrypted and while it could be intercepted, the bad guys would need to crack the encryption.

GMail has even included a relatively new feature to tell you if you have received or are about to send an e-mail to a recipient who is not using TLS and as such the e-mail was/will be transmitted unencrypted.

+1 about GMail's Spam filtering.

Advertisement