Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Someone currently trying to scam me

Options
  • 31-07-2016 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Email thread as follows;

Scammer
    Hello,

Thanks for your reply, i am interested in buying, how long have you owned it? and what is your fixed price for it?
    waiting to read from you soon,
    Greeting.

Me
    I've owned the car for 18 months and I'm the third owner. I will take some money of the price, but not much. The car has had a lot of money spent on it.

Scammer
    I am interested in buying, but I would like to know if it's possible for me to buy, because I'm not in the Ireland, I am in Blackheath, but if you agree on a price I have to pay before pick up.

What yous think, my spider senses are tingling. What i read from it is that this guy is prepared to buy it first without even looking at it. And i have read about these type of scams before. Im currently just leading the guy along and trying to waste as much of his time as possible while giving me some comic relieve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭Damien360

Alarm bells should be ringing.

Try comedy. Tell him you had to change the front wheel to a wheelbarrow one and is he still interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's a scam.
    Name your price, he'll agree to it, plus a fee to send it to his sister/friend.
    Then he'll send you money via PayPal,m. You get an "email". Saying funds are in your account.

But now his sister/friend can pick it up. He needs you to send back the extra money. To his bank account...free money for scammer.

Just ignore or lead him on a goose chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Real wheel just replaced, good as new.

golf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 81,515 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Scam, I'd say they have a success rate of .1% on the thousands of generic emails they send out every day but all they need is one fool and that gives them a few months salary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭wyliecoyote1

Yeah seems like a scammer bot, same replies again and again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Actually tell him no problem but that it's Irish custom and law that all cars sold to buyers outside Ireland must be sold with a green white and gold coloured canary. Tell him you were having trouble finding a green white and gold coloured canary in Ireland as there is so much demand for them here and that you could only find a yellow one. You painted it's feathers green, white and gold but think Irish customs suspect that it's not actually a green white and gold canary and have impounded it until the canary's real colour can be identified. Tell him it may be best if he the buyer, can send you a genuine green white and gold canary so that you can in turn get the car through Irish customs and onto him in Blackheath. Tell him it absolutely has to be a green white and gold canary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Tell him he's a c**t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I would tell him your lowest price is €1000 higher than the asking price and then you'll know for certain he's a scammer if he agrees to pay it. (which he will...)

Have a bit of fun, waste his time for a few weeks.

Told him i wanted 40,000 for the car and he agreed. I then told him to send me a picture of his mother and we have got a deal. got the following response.

YOU BASTARD SON OF A THOUSAND FATHER, I GOT A PERFECT DEAL FOR HER OVER HERE FOR MY PUPPY TO LEAK THE V******A

then told him i was intersted in selling the car as soon as possible and got the following

YOU ARE A BLACK MAN >>> SCAMMER I GOT TO KEEP MY DAMN MONEY SAFE.

haha

bravo..... wyliecoyote1 1 scammer 0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Reply and attach a zip file.

Joke is you attach the zip of death file and destroy his PC. Moo ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 81,515 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You should tell him to invest his money in some English lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 HappieChappie

Lads its not just foreigners out the trying internet scams there are plenty of dodgy Irish fellas looking to scam people.

What do they say about a fool and his money being easily parted.

Man jailed for four years over fictitious car pyramid scheme
    Friday 29 July 2016 15.38 - from RTE.ie
    The case was heard at the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court at the Criminal Courts of Justice

A 45-year-old man has been jailed for four years for stealing over €178,000 in a fictitious car pyramid scheme. Eamon Shield, of Weston Meadows, Weston Park, Lucan in Dublin was found guilty of stealing from 12 people after promising he would double their money within 60 days.

Shield was already a convicted fraudster and known to the garda stolen car unit when he was arrested and charged in connection with this scam. He told investors he could get cars repossessed by the banks and sell them on at a significant mark up.

But when the 60-day investment timeline passed Shield could not be contacted. The court heard there were never any cars and never any scheme whereby Shield could go to the bank and get repossessed cars. He used some of the stolen €178,000 to pay small amounts to others and although €55,000 was handed back, none of the 12 people got all their money back.

At the Dublin Circuit Criminal Court Judge Patricia Ryan described it as a "premeditated crime" and sentenced him to four years in prison with no of the time suspended.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

bazz26 wrote: »
    Actually tell him no problem but that it's Irish custom and law that all cars sold to buyers outside Ireland must be sold with a green white and gold coloured canary. Tell him you were having trouble finding a green white and gold coloured canary in Ireland as there is so much demand for them here and that you could only find a yellow one. You painted it's feathers green, white and gold but think Irish customs suspect that it's not actually a green white and gold canary and have impounded it until the canary's real colour can be identified. Tell him it may be best if he the buyer, can send you a genuine green white and gold canary so that you can in turn get the car through Irish customs and onto him in Blackheath. Tell him it absolutely has to be a green white and gold canary.

Here you go, now we complete deal?

iz4zgw.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Told him i wanted 40,000 for the car and he agreed. I then told him to send me a picture of his mother and we have got a deal. got the following response.

YOU BASTARD SON OF A THOUSAND FATHER, I GOT A PERFECT DEAL FOR HER OVER HERE FOR MY PUPPY TO LEAK THE V******A

then told him i was intersted in selling the car as soon as possible and got the following

YOU ARE A BLACK MAN >>> SCAMMER I GOT TO KEEP MY DAMN MONEY SAFE.

haha

He really needs to work on his haggling skills :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

I guessed the nationality of the scammer from the first line of the email. Scam nation.

Here you go, now we complete deal?

iz4zgw.jpg

obvious scam, it's a fake Canary.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

It can be quite an entertaining past time baiting scam artists.

So much so, there's a community of people dedicated to it.

Check out some of the stories and thing's that they've managed to get scammers to do the next time you're bored in work or on the can.

It goes from people shaving their heads to writing crazy statements on their bodies / faces and sending back images to the baiter in the name of completing the scam.

Some have also gone a bit too far too and put people in danger which I wouldn't really condone...... even for a scammer.

http://www.419eater.com/

Stuff like Linda who was convinced to put two plasters over one eye and hold a sign saying "Shiver me timbers"

linda_onuwa1.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

YOU BASTARD SON OF A THOUSAND FATHER,

YOU BASTARD SON OF A THOUSAND FATHER
    Common insult in Haiti.

latest one

Hello,

I'm sorry for the late response and I appreciate your swift response, can you tell me the car condition because I'm presenting it as gift a to my graduate cousin.

I'm willing to buy it and the price is Ok by me. I will send you Irish cheque as payment and after is cleared, I will make arrangement for the transportation.

Do not worry about the shipment, I will contact a transport agency for the removal at your location and all necessary paper will be sign on my behalf. I want to make proper arrangement towards the shipment to avoid delay because my cousin will graduate in couple of weeks and I want to present it as a gift to him

Kindly reply with the details for the cheque payment : -

Name:
    Address:
    City:
    Mobile number:
    Home number (If available)
    Price: €

I will ensure the payment arrive at your address within 5 working days

Regards
    Keith Hughes

• Advertisement

tell him go forth and multiply

Was that a further response from the first scam artist or a completely new one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Shint0 wrote: »
    Was that a further response from the first scam artist or a completely new one?

this was a completely new scam artist

bazz26 wrote: »

I told him this, awaiting new response

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I told him this, awaiting new response

Tbh, these guys just copy and paste these messages out to everyone. It's really not worth the effort to waste your time trying to lead them on a goose chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Mellor wrote: »
    Tbh, these guys just copy and paste these messages out to everyone. It's really not worth the effort to waste your time trying to lead them on a goose chase.

To the scammer, time is money and more of their time wasted being given the runaround, the less time they have to rip off others, possibly more gullible people who might fall for it. Plus it's immensely satisfying. IMHO. :)

Mellor wrote: »
    Not car-related but earlier this year I got a phone call from a number where I recognised the country code as I have in-laws from there. I answered as I thought it might have been one of them ringing possibly from a different number.

When I answered I got 'We understand you have been having problems with your computer'. Straight away I shouted down the phone 'F**K OFF' and hung up. For the next five minutes he rang my phone non-stop like a demented crazy loon. Guess he wasn't expecting that response and mustn't have been having any success that day. So sometimes it can frustrate them albeit temporarily until they move on to their next potential victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tphase

Shint0 wrote: »
    When I answered I got 'We understand you have been having problems with your computer'. Straight away I shouted down the phone 'F**K OFF' and hung up. For the next five minutes he rang my phone non-stop like a demented crazy loon.

Save your vocal chords, use a whistle long and hard .... they don't call back after that (at least in my experience)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

tphase wrote: »
    Save your vocal chords, use a whistle long and hard .... they don't call back after that (at least in my experience)

those fog horns they use at matches are even better

Advertisement