Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Possible spider / insect bite...?

• 31-07-2016 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Does anyone know anything about spider / insect bite symptoms? Googling it isn't working - information is too general.

I got bitten or stung by something yesterday. I felt a sharp pain on my back, like a needle-prick. It was sore all day, and last night, but I thought it might have been a nerve or something.

This morning, the muscles all across that area of my back are extremely sore - and the general area of the 'bite' is very painful and also tingly.

It's hard for me to see it, but using two mirrors, I can see that it's a large red blotch, the size of a euro, with some yellow-ish looking marks or dots on top of that. There are a couple of small, vague spots near enough to the site, but I don't know if these have anything to do with it, or were there already.

Does anyone know if this could be a spider or insect bite? It's really painful, but as it's a bank holiday weekend, I don't want to have to go to the Shannon-doc.

Extra info - I know three people where I live (Ennis) who have been bitten by spiders in the past couple of years, and needed medical treatment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Shoot. What do you want to know.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Mod note
    I'll leave this open but do not give medical advice althoigh ok to discuss insect/spider bites esp if you quote articles or evidence.
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

I was bitten by a spider last year whilst rooting in my shed. Symptoms were more like a light been sting or nettle sting.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Astrolabe

Wesser wrote: »
    Shoot. What do you want to know.

I guess I was just wondering if what I described sounded like a spider bite, or if, for example, it sounded like something completely different such as a tick bite.

I'm utterly horrified of spiders, and because of the fact that I know locals who've been bitten by them, the paranoid freak in me is determined to believe that I MAY have been bitten too! 😆

Since earlier on, however, my back isn't so sore - so hopefully it was just a horsefly or a flea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

We can't really tell astro as we are on the Internet. Even if we could see it there are no features really that help us differentiate one bite from another. Have you tried taking some pain killers and antihistamines. Maybe turn up the old spider deterring device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I got stung by a spider about a yr ago, ended up in a and e a couple days later with a battering headache, ringing in ears, and vertigo, stayed there for about 7 days, came home on tons of medicine including antibiotics, the tiredness since then is abating, but it took a lot to come through, there was a red rash with a puncture in the middle like two fangs, and I am glad I had put my leg in hot water shortly after bite and the only cream I could find in middle of night when pain in leg was bad was tee tree, it did the job of stopping infection, I had put my leg in a welly without having socks on, so he must have been in there sleeping when he was crushed and bit, I did find a crushed up brown coloured spider flattened in my welly when I went back to look a few days later.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

goat2 wrote: »
    I got stung by a spider about a yr ago, ended up in a and e a couple days later with a battering headache, ringing in ears, and vertigo, stayed there for about 7 days, came home on tons of medicine including antibiotics, the tiredness since then is abating, but it took a lot to come through, there was a red rash with a puncture in the middle like two fangs, and I am glad I had put my leg in hot water shortly after bite and the only cream I could find in middle of night when pain in leg was bad was tee tree, it did the job of stopping infection, I had put my leg in a welly without having socks on, so he must have been in there sleeping when he was crushed and bit, I did find a crushed up brown coloured spider flattened in my welly when I went back to look a few days later.
    Cool story bro.

The missus got bitten by a spider last year,just below her elbow.
    Looked like a nasty spot for a day or so with a rash around it.
    then the rash started spreading up and down her arm following the veins!!!!!!
    Trip to the doctor where she was given steroids and antibiotics .

Advertisement