Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyre changing gizmos

Options
  • 28-07-2016 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Prob going to be changing tyres every 10 months. I ordered tyres in a bike shop that were due in Tuesday yet they still have not arrivied. Hopefully they will have them tomorrow. So I'm going to invest in some equipment to change them myself.

What do you recommend? Budget of up to €250

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

have never done it myself..

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

Last time I got a tyre swapped in a bike shop they charged 20 quid. Thought that was expensive, he was annoyed that I didn't buy the tyre off him and threw the price out as a F you. Still, a lot cheaper than buying equipment.

Also, you would need to balance the wheel after putting on the new tyre. This is possible by putting the wheel on a freely rotating pipe and using a trial and error method putting on different weights. But more hassle than it's worth in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Last time I got a tyre swapped in a bike shop they charged 20 quid. Thought that was expensive, he was annoyed that I didn't buy the tyre off him and threw the price out as a F you. Still, a lot cheaper than buying equipment.

Also, you would need to balance the wheel after putting on the new tyre. This is possible by putting the wheel on a freely rotating pipe and using a trial and error method putting on different weights. But more hassle than it's worth in my view.

Well the price I was quoted leaves me to believe im been charged €40 to fit the tyres. I know the general feeling is its too much hassel etc etc but look at the hassel im dealing with at the moment. The rear is down to the 1mm marker and it has a slow puncture. Im commuting 115km per day on that. Shop said they would have the tyre in on tuesday yet it still hasn't arrived. Im having to change plans around this and its likely at this stage the tyre wont be in till next week.

I dont fancy going through that every 9-10 months.

So Im looking for a decent bead breaker and wheel balance contraption. Ive seen an all in one gizmo before but I cant find it now. I dont want to go down the road of botch jobs with cable ties etc etc

Well the price I was quoted leaves me to believe im been charged €40 to fit the tyres. I know the general feeling is its too much hassel etc etc but look at the hassel im dealing with at the moment. The rear is down to the 1mm marker and it has a slow puncture. Im commuting 115km per day on that. Shop said they would have the tyre in on tuesday yet it still hasn't arrived. Im having to change plans around this and its likely at this stage the tyre wont be in till next week.

I dont fancy going through that every 9-10 months.

So Im looking for a decent bead breaker and wheel balance contraption. Ive seen an all in one gizmo before but I cant find it now. I dont want to go down the road of botch jobs with cable ties etc etc

I agree with you on the cable tie type methods - I could be wrong, but it doesn't sit right with me squashing a brand new tyre fully around the circumference. They may well be able to take it, but the deformation with all the cable ties around it just doesn't look good to me. I know the hydraulic garage equipment exerts huge force but at least that is only on a small section of the tyre, so the rest of the tyre can flex to take the force.

Re price, if you are working it out to be €40 to get it fitted from the shop based on online price for tyre then it doesn't quite work out that way. They need a margin to account for the premises, staff etc. And more than that they are basing it off the fact that they have extra work in taking wheel off and refitting. My €20 price was me bringing the wheel only in.

I hope this doesn't sound condescending as I am only trying to help, but I think your problem is lack of planning. 1mm thread depth doesn't happen overnight! You should be checking the tyres every couple of days MINIMUM re wear, damage and pressures. Then you will be able to foresee the need to get a tyre changed with weeks to spare.

When you can see you will need a tyre in weeks or a month, ring the shop or shops and get the price for tyre fitted to wheel only - arrange a day and take a car with the wheel in the boot. Maybe the lack of car is your issue? I have to admit I don't depend on my bike for commuting. Either way, planning a day in advance is the prudent thing to do.

Don't get me wrong, I am a tool junkie, and buy endless amounts of expensive tools that I don't need or only use once in a blue moon :cool:. And I do any job on the bikes, the only exception is changing tyres!! It is just the type of job that is better left to someone with the right equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

40 euro every 10 months for fully fitted balanced tyres/wheels sits better with me than a home made bodge job that i wouldnt be fully at ease with.

Remember,you are on a motorbike and you only got 2 wheels on the road.

• Advertisement

I get what yiz are saying but it's a skill I would like to learn. As for planning on when to change the tyre .... this won't account for a puncture etc etc. I think when your committed to all year round biking, learning to change a tyre is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I get what yiz are saying but it's a skill I would like to learn. As for planning on when to change the tyre .... this won't account for a puncture etc etc. I think when your committed to all year round biking, learning to change a tyre is a must.

Several of my friends where bike couriers and none changed their own tyres and they where doing several hundred km daily.

Changing a tyre once every 10 months means that you'll be learning it again everytime you change a tyre.

If you're worried about punctures buy 2 now, then you'll always have a spare and can look for bargains for the next replacement. Getting down to 1mm thread is bad planning and dangerous for someone committed to year round biking.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Several of my friends where bike couriers and none changed their own tyres and they where doing several hundred km daily.

Changing a tyre once every 10 months means that you'll be learning it again everytime you change a tyre.

If you're worried about punctures buy 2 now, then you'll always have a spare and can look for bargains for the next replacement. Getting down to 1mm thread is bad planning and dangerous for someone committed to year round biking.

Del backs up my point. Even the hardiest bikers don't change their own tyres. Even lads that do track days regularly will pay to let someone else do it. These are lads that change tyres 20, 30 times a year.

It is not much of a skill to learn. No offence to tyre fitters, but any lad can do it after spending a few minutes with them. The skill is in the design of the expensive equipment.

If you are committed to year round biking then you really need to be more on top of plannig maintenance. You should know your thread depth without having to go check. It looks like you have neglects tyre checking.

Again I'll say not having a go. I think you're just rightfully peeved at shop for messing you around. You'll calm down once the new rubber is fitted!

I hear ya but my mind is made up

I'mt hinking this one. http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?gotonode=ViewProduct&method=mViewProduct&productid=13810

OK so I take all the advice on board but I'm really looking for opinions on equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Ive exactly that model in my shed, I use it for quad tyres, car rims and bike tyres, it's bolted to a half pallet as it will move around otherwise. Buy lots of tyre soap as the more you use the better and easier it is, front tyres are harder than rears as the lower sidewall means less flex. if your in Clifden I'll gladly show you it in all its glory

• Advertisement

serious3 wrote: »
    Ive exactly that model in my shed, I use it for quad tyres, car rims and bike tyres, it's bolted to a half pallet as it will move around otherwise. Buy lots of tyre soap as the more you use the better and easier it is, front tyres are harder than rears as the lower sidewall means less flex. if your in Clifden I'll gladly show you it in all its glory

That's good to know. I see someone modified one on youtube due to a weakness. How do you find the quality? What type of balancer do you use?

I'm getting them done in the shop this time so I'll leave off the purchase until april/may 2017

Quality is ok for a budget machine, I guarantee one thing though, you will mark wheels using it, the tyre bar that helps the bead over has to touch the rim unlike the automatic machines that hold it slightly off. On larger wheels the grip system is a bit weak and allows the wheel to rotate while you're trying to get the last bit over the rim. The balancer I have is the stand type that you rotate slowly, takes about 3-4min a wheel.

Quality is ok for a budget machine, I guarantee one thing though, you will mark wheels using it, the tyre bar that helps the bead over has to touch the rim unlike the automatic machines that hold it slightly off. On larger wheels the grip system is a bit weak and allows the wheel to rotate while you're trying to get the last bit over the rim. The balancer I have is the stand type that you rotate slowly, takes about 3-4min a wheel.

There are tyre bars designed for aluminum wheels. This could help with not damaging the rim I reckon. Is tyre paste a must or will wash up liquid do the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

A few mins with a heat gun is worth considering - make the rubber a lot more plyable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Wossack wrote: »
    A few mins with a heat gun is worth considering - make the rubber a lot more plyable

+1...keep the tyres indoors for a few hours if its cold..i use a vice to break my beads..Use bits of split garden hose to protect the rims..use cheap washing up liquid neat otherwise youll be left with a pool of water trapped inside..and dont be afraid to try things yourself....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

After changing a few tyres I bet my life on it that you'll be going back to a dealer to have it done.

It was the done thing that you bought your tyre from the shop, rode home with it over your shoulder and got to changing it with your trusty ol tyre levers.

Its a serious pain in the hole.

There are various methods for breaking the bead, from using the side stand on your bike to all sorts of home made contraptions (I bet youtube is full of 'em).. Then its a strong arm, lots of sweat and a little blood if your levers break.

Pay the few bob and have a shop do it is my advice.

After changing a few tyres I bet my life on it that you'll be going back to a dealer to have it done.

It was the done thing that you bought your tyre from the shop, rode home with it over your shoulder and got to changing it with your trusty ol tyre levers.

Its a serious pain in the hole.

There are various methods for breaking the bead, from using the side stand on your bike to all sorts of home made contraptions (I bet youtube is full of 'em).. Then its a strong arm, lots of sweat and a little blood if your levers break.

Pay the few bob and have a shop do it is my advice.

I get what your saying but that's the hand tool method. I'm more thinking of the sealey type device that makes the job alot handier. Of course the first few attempts will be troublesome but in the long run it will pay off.

Another benefit will be changing a tyre with only a months life left on it before winters kick in. Then reuse that tyre come the summer. For example I'm changing my front now but there is easily 5 - 7 weeks worth of a commute left on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I get what your saying but that's the hand tool method. I'm more thinking of the sealey type device that makes the job alot handier. Of course the first few attempts will be troublesome but in the long run it will pay off.

Another benefit will be changing a tyre with only a months life left on it before winters kick in. Then reuse that tyre come the summer. For example I'm changing my front now but there is easily 5 - 7 weeks worth of a commute left on it.

at 20 bills a change it will take 12 years to pay off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If you've only got that much left in the tyre its fit for the bin whether its summer or winter ~ apart from picking up punctures and less grip the tyres profile will be so fooked your bike will be handling like a pig.

I reckon changing them myself will save me €75. I'll explain later.

@Mac.......5 weeks of commuting for me is 2900km. Who bins a tyre with 2900km left on it?

• Advertisement

I reckon changing them myself will save me €75. I'll explain later.

@Mac.......5 weeks of commuting for me is 2900km. Who bins a tyre with 2900km left on it?

What type of commuting you do? If it's straight roads or motorway she will be square as fcuk even with a few mil thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I hear ya but my mind is made up

I'mt hinking this one. http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?gotonode=ViewProduct&method=mViewProduct&productid=13810

OK so I take all the advice on board but I'm really looking for opinions on equipment.

Ebay UK has them cheaper, with 1 bad review.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Ask a few car tyre places for prices.
    I got 2 tyres fitted for a tenner near me.
    I just needed to balance them myself because they would not fit on his balancer.
    Not worth the hassle if you can get a good price somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

RT, it is a pain in the hole doing it yourself, I did it about 20 years ago on a small bike and never again.
    Why its a pain in hole :
    Taking the wheels off
    Breaking the bead
    Realising the tyres are the wrong size
    Putting the old tyres on to get back to the shop that sold them to you
    Again
    Taking the wheels off
    Break the bead
    Putting the new tyre on
    Inflating the new tyre to crack it into the rim (rebeading?)without a compressor will involve a footpump/bicycle track pump which if you're not in the full of your health you won't do.
    And lastly you will be covered in crud, knackered and you saved yourself a score :)

As posted above, get your tyres in before they give up the ghost and lash the local chap a score to put them on.

RT, it is a pain in the hole doing it yourself, I did it about 20 years ago on a small bike and never again.
    Why its a pain in hole :
    Taking the wheels off..you'll have to do this anyway
    Breaking the bead...easy
    Realising the tyres are the wrong size...are you thislexick
    Putting the old tyres on to get back to the shop that sold them to you..see above
    Again
    Taking the wheels off
    Break the bead
    Putting the new tyre on..pieces of pi$$
    Inflating the new tyre to crack it into the rim (rebeading?)without a compressor will involve a footpump/bicycle track pump which if you're not in the full of your health you won't do...throw them in the car and bring them to the petrol station
    And lastly you will be covered in crud, knackered and you saved yourself a score :)..but you'll be proud of yourself...

As posted above, get your tyres in before they give up the ghost and lash the local chap a score to put them on.

:P

New PR4's fitted. Looking forward to testing them.

Ok just rough calculations. Total cost of having them fitted € 324

I think I can get all the equipment for roughly €280

PR4's from oponeo €249

So changing myself is a saving of €75 each time sticking with the same tyre etc etc

So just over 3 tyre changes and ive broke even regarding the purchasing of equipment.

I had to re-read my original post. Lads thanks for all the advice regarding how pissy of a job it is to do but Im just looking for info regarding equipment.

You could just buy a vice €50 and a wheel balancer €50 small compressors come up in Aldi or Lidl from time to time..

You could just buy a vice €50 and a wheel balancer €50 small compressors come up in Aldi or Lidl from time to time..

True enough. I don't mind buying the propper bead breaker though I'll ask santy to get me one:p

I'm less than 2 mins drive from a garage so no probs inflating tyres there.

True enough. I don't mind buying the propper bead breaker though I'll ask santy to get me one:p

I'm less than 2 mins drive from a garage so no probs inflating tyres there.
    Bead breaker is built into the machine RT

• Advertisement

Bead breaker is built into the machine RT

I know. I'm set on the sealey one for now. Like I said I'm in no rush to buy just yet. Fresh rubber just fitted. I'll pick up the bits and pieces over the months to spread the cost.

Advertisement