Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficulty insuring a second car

Options
  • 27-07-2016 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

I currently have my "regular" car insured with Aviva since March and it's my 2nd year with them. The car is an Audi A4 TDI

I recently bought second "weekend" car (Audi TT 225) and I am finding it mind boggling as to how difficult it is to insure a second car.

It's hardly an unrealistic or exceptional scenario but after speaking to Aviva they made it seem like it would be nigh on impossible to do.

Here's are the difficulties I've encountered.

1. You can't insure two cars on the same policy.
    Why the hell not??? What difference does it make if I drive my Audi A4 Mon-Sun or if i drive my A4 Mon-Fri and my TT Sat-Sun?? I would obviously be willing to pay an increased premium for cover on both cars but apparently this is NOT possible, I need a new policy as you can only have 1 car on a policy - which seems absolutely bizarre. :confused:

2. If I go to My Aviva Online - I can permanently substitute the A4 with the TT on my existing policy (which actually results in a refund would you believe!!) - but if I try to get a new quote for the TT with Aviva, they won't insure me! .. Again, absolutely mind boggling!

3. So I said to them , OK give me a copy of my No Claims Bonus and I will try going elsewhere, Aviva then tells me that apparently I can't tell other companies that I have a No Claims Bonus when seeking new quotes because my existing 6 year NCB is being used on my current policy on my A4??? How absurd is this?!! ... to me an NCB is a statement of fact that I have not claimed from any insurer. how can a statement of fact be "used up" on my A4 and no longer be applicable to my TT??? ie. I have to find a new quote for my TT but when asked about NCB I should say ZERO?!

Again, Totally absurd!!

I'm really surprised by how ridiculously stupid, illogical and infuriating the motor insurance industry is.

So, how exactly do you go about reasonably insuring a second, weekend car in this country?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Don't go online or call a call centre, talk to somebody. IIRC Axa allow cars to be added.

Try First Ireland for a classic policy on the TT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

talk to a Broker is good advice. Call Centre operatives don't know squat other than what's in their script.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Don't go online or call a call centre, talk to somebody. IIRC Axa allow cars to be added.

Try First Ireland for a classic policy on the TT.

I alreayd received a quote for the TT from 123.ie which I would be happy to pay (€570)

But to obtain that quote I mentioned that I have 6 year NCB, which apparently is not true as my NCB is "in use" on an existing policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

In summary there frauds, total frauds, same applies if you have a commercial NCD and its not valid on a regular policy & vice versa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭Corvo

Firstly, speak to a broker.

Secondly, ask them for a live NCB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

Notch000 wrote: »
    In summary there frauds, total frauds, same applies if you have a commercial NCD and its not valid on a regular policy & vice versa

Not correct, many insurers will "mirror" a commercial NCB to private and vice versa. The issue here is that a no claims bonus cannot be applied to more than one vehicle at a time. This has been the case for many, many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,806 ✭✭✭Tow

Chiorino wrote: »
    The issue here is that a no claims bonus cannot be applied to more than one vehicle at a time. This has been the case for many, many years.

This is what the OP does not appear understand, of course it does not help that the call centre staff require 'additional training'.

OP. It is quite simple, you can insure your 2nd car. But each additional car will start off with no NCB and build one up after time.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

ION08 wrote: »
    I alreayd received a quote for the TT from 123.ie which I would be happy to pay (€570)

But to obtain that quote I mentioned that I have 6 year NCB, which apparently is not true as my NCB is "in use" on an existing policy.

What age is it? A classic policy should be in around €300.

Tow wrote: »
    This is what the OP does not appear understand, of course it does not help that the call centre staff require 'additional training'.

OP. It is quite simple, you can insure your 2nd car. But each additional car will start off with no NCB and build one up after time.

Oh i understand it. It's just completeley absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭selectamatic

If you're over 25 there's a strong chance you may get a classic insurance policy especially since the car in question is German. If it was a 225bhp late 90's or early noughties jap car you could forget about it but people are getting classic policies on bmw's and mercs from the late 90's so it might be possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Notch000

Chiorino wrote: »
    Notch000 wrote: »

Not correct, many insurers will "mirror" a commercial NCB to private and vice versa. The issue here is that a no claims bonus cannot be applied to more than one vehicle at a time. This has been the case for many, many years.

while may will , the majority will not

What a load of boll*x

Nowhere will insure me on the car because I have 0 NCB despite tge fact that ... you know... I actually have 6 years NCB :rolleyes:

How on earth can a NCB not be recognised because it is being "used up" on a different car. I still fail to see how a statement of fact about your claims history can be "used up" and nobody from any insurance company seems to logically be able to explain this to me.

Talking sense to an insurance company is like trying to talk to a wall.

Why oh why can't we have nice things in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

ION08 wrote: »

Why oh why can't we have nice things in this country.

Because Irish citizens are not nice to eachother when a minor tip happens

I'm surprised that the fact that I've held my driving licence for 12 years isn't also "used up" on my existing policy and that I don't have to apply to for a new policy saying that I've have held a licence for ZERO years! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

talk to a Broker is good advice. Call Centre operatives don't know squat other than what's in their script.
    They may. Many do.

But they're most likely not allowed to go off script. Or even attempt to give advice on such situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

The only company that you have any chance of insuring the TT with correctly is Aviva. And only if it's yourself only driving both cars..

Are u the sole driver on both cars ?

You can quote other companies that you have a ncb but they'll only accept same if it is cancelled elsewhere .

The Aviva can give you a 'live' bonus but other companies don't have to give you the same discounted rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭ei9go

Did this a while back.

Had an IS200 and got a second insurance for a Yaris without any difficulty with the AA.

I can't remember who the AA had the IS insured with but they got me the second policy with AXA.

Both cars had me and a named driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

bike policies let you insure multi bikes and classic cars let you insure multi cars but regular insurance which is what most people need first and foremost do not let you

A broker should be able to find you an insurer who will mirror your NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Axa don't mirror bonus anymore for car 2, if car 1 is insured elsewhere...half a chance if car 1 with Axa Broker

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I want to do this too I have a 525i and I want to buy a 318/320ci convertible and use both cars, the 5 series more of a daily and the open top as an occasional trip down the west type of car or a trip up the mountains, the convertibles are going for 2-3 grand now at the moment so it's cheap to buy but I cannot get an insurer to do it without treating me as having never driven before and starting at the beginning as regards no claims bonus.

If anyone finds out a company open to this let me know.

I assume there is an admin chg if I ring up and switch insurance if I want to take the convertible out which would be a pain in the hoop anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Axa don't mirror bonus anymore for car 2, if car 1 is insured elsewhere...half a chance if car 1 with Axa Broker
    bmwguy wrote: »
    I want to do this too I have a 525i and I want to buy a 318/320ci convertible and use both cars, the 5 series more of a daily and the open top as an occasional trip down the west type of car or a trip up the mountains, the convertibles are going for 2-3 grand now at the moment so it's cheap to buy but I cannot get an insurer to do it without treating me as having never driven before and starting at the beginning as regards no claims bonus.

I assume there is an admin chg if I ring up and switch insurance if I want to take the convertible out which would be a pain in the hoop anyway.

Ive my NCB mirrored with axa , Both cars with them , ive the first policy with them 3 years so they might have taken that into consideration , I also have my NCB mirrored on to my van with a different company so there are companies that do it , Broker would deffo be your best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭selectamatic

bmwguy wrote: »

Get an e36 or e46 convertible and insure it as a classic. E36 will definitely qualify but e46 might only be accepted by a few insurers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

I didn't think of this, thanks for the advice. What is the cut off age for a classic car, is it 15 years old? I would be happy to get a 2000/2001 car.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gavman1

Firstly op you are right to be frustrated with the way the ins companies dictate the law in ireland.its reprehensible at best and down right illegal at worst.most companies will take a classic at 20 yrs old but I have heard of some cars being 15 yrs.does your existing policy not cover you to drive other cars up to a 2 Ltr as long as they are not in your name?........

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭PBWXFORD

Can you not just put the second car in somebody elses name and that way you are insured to drive it? Of course there wont be any insurance in place on the car if it was to be robbed etc but at least you will be covered to drive it and will be handy especially if you are only using it as a weekend car! I do know one of the insurance companies has changed their policy recently in that the other car has to be insured and im certain it is either Aviva or Axa so you would have to check that out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭oinkely

First up OP - I can commiserate with the utter daftness of the Irish insurance industry. I recently had a similar issue. Have a commercial policy (whole other story on the renewal for that) but wanted to take out a private policy on a Nissan leaf as the cost of driving the electric car to work is pretty much 10% of the cost of the van.

Anyway, rang around a few companies and got the gamut of excuses, NCB on only one vehicle, NCB can't be transferred from commercial to domestic etc.

In the end I got full no claims from named experience on my wife's policy. Both electric cars now insured with aviva. The daft thing was they needed letters from all of her previous insurers to say there were no claims on the policy while i was a named driver. They were the underwriter for her policy through a broker (which is now closed) for two of the years but couldn't supply the letters themselves, they had to come from the broker! I had a mini argument and had to explain to a manager of some description that i couldn't get the letters cause the broker was closed. They eventually agreed that they could source the documents internally. Equally, a statement of no claims from the end of each insurance period, along with the certificate of insurance for the same period was not suitable. They wanted / needed the same thing written in a different way.

So if you have been a named driver on any other policy you may be able to use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

I had this issue when i bought a Mazda Mx5 for weekends etc.
    Someone recommended Autoline insurance in Coleraine, they will likely take the TT as a "classic" giving you a limited mileage policy.

Mine was €300 on the mX5 with 2000 miles limit per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

I had this issue when i bought a Mazda Mx5 for weekends etc. Someone recommended Autoline insurance in Coleraine, they will likely take the TT as a "classic" giving you a limited mileage policy.

You need to be a UK resident to avail of their policies tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ink

I did it through the broker two years ago with 0 NCB. It was bit more expensive that the quote for the first car. But, it went down on the second year.

Advertisement