Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dangerous taxis in Dublin

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

it's just kinda odd that i could choose to drive into town, or go out on the road and hail a taxi, and make the same journey, but because i've paid someone else to do the driving, i get to use the bus lanes.

I wonder has anyone made a study of how many passengers are carried on average by taxis (including time spent cruising for fares).

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭dinky earnshaw

Totally agree - why should someone who has decided to utilise a private form of transport be permitted to travel on lanes primarily designated for public transport?

Are you including cyclists in that ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,221 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

fifth image down.

http://www.citymetric.com/transport/pictures-do-cars-take-too-much-space-city-streets-483

that's a genius idea from the cyclists in latvia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Totally agree - why should someone who has decided to utilise a private form of transport be permitted to travel on lanes primarily designated for public transport?

:rolleyes: they are public transport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Deedsie wrote: »
    I never really understood why an out of service bus or an empty bus or minibus gets to use the bus lane.

Or an empty Taxi...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,221 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

empty taxis are not allowed use bus lanes, unless they're on the way to pick up a prearranged fare. how many do use the bus lanes when empty and not on the way to pick up a booking is anyone's guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

empty taxis are not allowed use bus lanes, unless they're on the way to pick up a prearranged fare. how many do use the bus lanes when empty and not on the way to pick up a booking is anyone's guess.

Wrong, they can also use them if "plying for hire", i.e. looking for a fare that might try to flag them down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

The nuts and bolts of it is they use them empty. The law should be changed to say "may use a bus lane "only" when conveying a passenger and at no other time"

Of course, the policing of that will never happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

According to the NTA taxis are allowed use bus lanes in the course of their business. This includes carrying pax, on the way to a job or "plying for hire" . They're not allowed use lanes for personal use but that's hard to police.

Urban legend — or perhaps reality — is that taxi drivers keep an envelope in the glove compartment with an 'address' that they're supposedly going to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

Chuchote wrote: »
    Urban legend — or perhaps reality — is that taxi drivers keep an envelope in the glove compartment with an 'address' that they're supposedly going to.

They're not allowed to use them to carry only goods and not passengers, so unless that is claimed to be the address of a pre-booked fare that happened to be noted on an envelope, having it there is no good to them.

cython wrote: »
    They're not allowed to use them to carry only goods and not passengers, so unless that is claimed to be the address of a pre-booked fare that happened to be noted on an envelope, having it there is no good to them.

Yeah, that's what it's supposed to be, in the urban legend.

Advertisement