Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail and bringing bike

Options
  • 26-07-2016 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭

Posted in Cycling, but probably more relevant here.

Looking to do a trip on Irish Rail cross-country this weekend with the bike (non-foldable). When I search online I'm only seeing one trip with an available bike space, but will I be allowed on board without a bike space reservation?

Also if there are no seats, can I still book a ticket and stand for the 2-hour trip?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭plodder

I wanted to bring a bike on a train to Westport recently and when I looked into it, there were only two spaces for bikes on any train I looked at, all booked out weeks in advance. It could be they don't have any goods/freight carriage any more and bikes have to go in ordinary carriages, which is obviously a severe limitation of space. Shame if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Yeah looks like it. Only the Cork and Belfast lines have a separate carriage, and all other lines have only TWO (!) bike spaces on the entire train.

That's a major disappointment as I was considering taking a few trips around the country with the bike if this worked out.

http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/bicycle-information#bicyclesonintercitytrains
    These routes are restricted to two bicycles per service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Most trains don't have a separate luggage space any more, so bike space is limited.
    The bike rack on the trains hold just two bikes, see picture here http://www.dublincycling.ie/cycling/when-can-i-bring-my-bike-train
    So if the two spaces are already booked, you're probably out of luck.

Not all seats are bookable online, some will be left free for walk-up purchases. So if the bike space is showing as available, you should be fine to book that and get your own ticket at the station.

Curious, when you book a bike space, do you automatically get the seat adjoining it?

Just that I was able to select a bike space, but the seat beside it wasn't selectable, so perhaps reserved for people with bikes?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,556 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

mrcheez wrote: »
    Curious, when you book a bike space, do you automatically get the seat adjoining it?

Just that I was able to select a bike space, but the seat beside it wasn't selectable, so perhaps reserved for people with bikes?

No you don't.

• Advertisement

lxflyer wrote: »
    No you don't.

Strange because when I selected the bike space I wasn't able to select a seat, despite the fact that there were plenty of free spaces on the train?

(When I did the search without ticking the "require bike space" box, I could see the free spaces)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

If you choose a bike you will be assigned a seat, you cannot choose the seat but one is allocated and will be shown when the booking is complete

If you choose a bike you will be assigned a seat, you cannot choose the seat but one is allocated and will be shown when the booking is complete

Bizarre. What if you are not travelling alone and want to select the seat beside your partner?

I take it you can change seats at the station, but there's always the risk that the seat beside your partner is taken at that stage.

Actually that, and the fact you can't search for trains with bike spaces, leads me to believe they didn't put too much thought into the booking system (or added the bike booking system as an afterthought... more than likely the latter)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Sorry to hijack thread, just have a question about bringing bikes on commuter trains (specifically Ashtown to Drumcondra, the Maynooth line). Anyone know if it's possible to bring a bike? I know there are facilities on intercity trains but I have no experience of this line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think officially they are meant to be booked. But some do bring full sided bikes on that train. But it's jammed at peak, barely standing room. The bikes are a real pain.

It's random what train you get. Might be intercity or arrow. If it's intercity style train there's two spaces at the front end.

A folding bike is always allowed, and be put on the luggage holder at the end of the carriage The take up hardly any room anyway.

The arrow style train has no bike or luggage facilities. People use the wheelchair space. But that can be anywhere.

You could just cycle along the canal its only about 15 mins max.

• Advertisement

At peak times they are banned on the Maynooth line - irrespective of whether an Intercity set operates the train or not.
    Off-peak no issue with bringing your bike - just turn up and travel.

http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/bicycle-information
    Bicycles on Commuter and DART Trains
    Bicycles are not permitted on Commuter and DART services before 10:00hrs and between the hours of 15:30hrs and 19:00hrs Monday to Friday. Bikes are permitted all day Saturday and Sunday. Customers are asked to stay with their bicycles in the vestibules at all times and ensure they do not allow their bicycles to become a nuisance to other passengers. The carriage of bicycles on Commuter and Dart services is at the discretion of station staff. At certain times (e.g. major sporting fixtures /concerts), it may not be possible to permit carriage of bicycles on Commuter and DART services. Bicycles that are folded and covered can be carried on all Commuter and Dart services with no time restrictions.

For reference, commuter services are:
    •Dublin Northern Commuter service extends from Dublin's Pearse Station via Dublin Connolly Station to Dundalk.
    •Dublin Portlaoise Commuter service extends west from Dublin's Heuston Station to stations as far to Portlaoise (this is the all stations stopping service)
    •Dublin Longford Commuter service extends from Dublin's Pearse Station via Dublin's Connolly Station to Longford.
    •Dublin Dunboyne / M3 Parkway services extends from Dublin's Dockland/ Connolly Station via Clonsilla to Dunboyne/ M3 Parkway.
    •Dublin Southern Commuter service operates from Dublin's Connolly Station to Gorey Station.
    •Mallow – Cork – Cobh – Midleton Commuter services extends from Mallow to Cork, Cork to Cobh or Midleton.

beauf wrote: »
    I think officially they are meant to be booked. But some do bring full sided bikes on that train. But it's jammed at peak, barely standing room. The bikes are a real pain.

It's random what train you get. Might be intercity or arrow. If it's intercity style train there's two spaces at the front end.

A folding bike is always allowed, and be put on the luggage holder at the end of the carriage The take up hardly any room anyway.

The arrow style train has no bike or luggage facilities. People use the wheelchair space. But that can be anywhere.

You could just cycle along the canal its only about 15 mins max.

OK, good to know, thanks. True it is a short enough cycle but there's more of a distance to go on either end so cutting the distance on the train would be handy.

Any idea if the bike spaces on the intercity style trains tend to be full?

Sometimes.

I dont use it, so don't look for it. Most of the time it's not used in my opinion. A vertical stand would have been better.

It's kinda awkward to use. As one bike is behind the other.

When the train is busy most people stand in the doorway's. Tough to get though even without a bike.

By the time you wait for the train, get down the stairs in Drumcondra, you'd be almost there on a bike.

I use a folding bike some of the time. But only off peak. Trains are too packed.

Just to repeat this - you CANNOT bring your bike onto Maynooth Line commuter services before 10am and between 15:30 and 19:00, irrespective of what train type operates it, intercity set or commuter set, unless it's a folding bike.

It's as simple as that.

Just to repeat this - you CANNOT bring your bike onto Maynooth Line commuter services before 10am and between 15:30 and 19:00, irrespective of what train type operates it, intercity set or commuter set, unless it's a folding bike.

It's as simple as that.

Ah, missed your post earlier. That's that then. Thank you!

Regardless of the rules, and enforcement. I think its bit anti-social bringing a full sized bike on a packed train at peak. Its miserable enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

Regardless of the rules, and enforcement. I think its bit anti-social bringing a full sized bike on a packed train at peak. Its miserable enough.

You'd think wouldn't you ? Yet it still happens - given the post early "officially you're supposed to but...". No, not "officially" - you cannot bring a full size unfoldable bike at peak times. End of.

I qualified that by "I think"....

I've never seen it enforced for full sized bikes anyway.

Good few folding bikes on this route too. Very handy for mixed modal transport. Just buy a good one. Fit nicely on the luggage rack at the end of the carriage. Or at your feet if standing which is the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It's as simple as that.

There was signs in Heuston today stating that it's commuter services have a similar regulation.

• Advertisement

They've had those signs up for maybe a year.

They changed the wording back then a few times.

There was signs in Heuston today stating that it's commuter services have a similar regulation.

I think post #12 covers them all!

They are ignored anyway.

They are ignored anyway.

Well one day they will all be caught out - the point is for someone asking if they are allowed, the answer is no.

What is the penalty....

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭joinme

Sorry for bumping an old thread.

Taking a train to westport on Thursday. Bike is booked in the return but couldn't book on the outward. When I rang they said it was because train already booked out with bikes or the early (7.35) train doesn't allow it. Anyone ever rocked up with a bike and got it on? Poor communication and system in place from CIÉ

• Registered Users Posts: 12,994 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

joinme wrote: »

Taking a train to westport on Thursday. Bike is booked in the return but couldn't book on the outward. When I rang they said it was because train already booked out with bikes or the early (7.35) train doesn't allow it. Anyone ever rocked up with a bike and got it on? Poor communication and system in place from CIÉ

You've been given two reasons to be fair here. If there's no allocated space on the service then either don't bring your bike or book it on a train with one to avoid hassle or a refusal to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,797 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

What is the penalty....

Withering stares from other commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

joinme wrote: »

You won't get on if bikes spaces already taken. Can't see where the poor communication is when you were already told.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I've never seen it enforced for full sized bikes anyway.

Good few folding bikes on this route too. Very handy for mixed modal transport. Just buy a good one. Fit nicely on the luggage rack at the end of the carriage. Or at your feet if standing which is the norm.

I have TRIED many times to have it enforced and got nowhere - Irish Rail could not give two ****es about enforcement.

Advertisement