Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hiring a Lada for my birthday

Options
  • 26-07-2016 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Would it be possible to hire a Lada in Ireland for one day? Are they road legal? I would ideally prefer a Lada Riva :

Lada_2107_aka_Lada_Riva_October_1995_1452cc.jpg

I will be based in Dublin area. Any suggestions will be massively appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,284 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I don't know where you might hire one.
    I would like to know why you wish to hire it though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

mickdw wrote: »

For the same reason I would like to hire an original Trabant 601.
    And back to the Lada.....

This very model was used in a production of "Triple Expresso" featuring 3 comedians in St Andrews Theatre back in the day. It was actually parked outside. Not a bad show either. I hope these guys generally have much superior venues to perform in.

I won't be inviting someone like mickdw along in my Trabant safari.:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Your bet bet might be to spot one at any of the vintage shows that go on during the summer, and ask the owner about his or another club car.

http://www.irishvintagesociety.ie/events/

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

Get in contact with the lads in this thread. They have a decent sized group of Soviet Block vehicle owners and they would be the best fellas to talk to

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057292161

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    For the same reason I would like to hire an original Trabant 601.
    And back to the Lada.....

This very model was used in a production of "Triple Expresso" featuring 3 comedians in St Andrews Theatre back in the day. It was actually parked outside. Not a bad show either. I hope these guys generally have much superior venues to perform in.

I won't be inviting someone like mickdw along in my Trabant safari.:)

You still have not answered as to what the attraction is?
    I can see some novelty re the trabant but a Lada Riva, something that was on sale here and could not be given away in recent years just doesn't jump out at me as to why someone would want one as a birthday present.
    I do believe you could have obtained a new one free with the purchase of a 4 slice toaster back in the day though.

• Advertisement

Ever hear the expression, "to each their own", mickdw? :)

For every old car, no matter what the lineage, there's going to be someone for whom it represents an event or time in their life, or a memory of someone or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I have a soft spot for them, especially the earlier ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

mickdw wrote: »

I was born in USSR at the time when Lada Riva was made. Many ordinary folks couldn't afford a Lada Riva back in those days.

It's my birthday in August, so I would at least like to drive around in a Lada for a laugh. I would tick off one item in my bucket list ;)

I was born in USSR at the time when Lada Riva was made. Many ordinary folks couldn't afford a Lada Riva back in those days.

It's my birthday in August, so I would at least like to drive around in a Lada for a laugh. I would tick off one item in my bucket list ;)

That makes perfect sense. I knew there had to be a back story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Fair play to you OP for not being a sheep like many others in society today. If you dont do what everyone else does, you are weird in their eyes.

Its good to want to hire out something else apart from the usual Bentley,Merc, or whatever.Old fashion design OK, but what the heck, I think they have a certain charm about them. Dont mind the negs.

Good luck with your search though, Id say they are rare now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I always thought that the Lada Niva jeep was the coolest of the lineup.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/lada/niva

There's something nice and clean about the lines compared to stuff these days.

That's quite a fun review.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Dades wrote: »
    There's something nice and clean about the lines compared to stuff these days.

That's quite a fun review.

I remember looking at them when they were out new, to see relays screwed into the bulkhead With self tappers, it's like they were kit cars.

I sooo wanted my dad to buy a Niva, he considered a god awful saloon for a while but went for a Citroen Pallas instead (thankfully)

Advertisement