Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stopped by the Gardai, have to produce insurance cert

Options
  • 17-07-2016 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was stopped Friday and need to produce my insurance cert at the station within 10 days, problem is I lost the full cert. I have the insurance 9 months so it went missing somewhere in between.

I have the window cert and it is displayed, I also have all the correspondence from insurer with details of who is covered and what for. Do you think they'd be happy with this??

I can request a new cert but doubt I'd have it within the 10 days.

Thanks everyone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Nope they need to see the cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,882 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You need to contact your insurance in the morning and request a replacement cert. The disc in the window is a waste of space as it proves nothing. Explain that you need to produce and they should be able to post it that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

If you ring your insurer first thing tomorrow morning, I'd be surprised if you didn't get it in the post on Wednesday or Thursday.

Failing that, ring the station in a week, find out when the guard is on duty and explain the situation to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Only issue with this is there's always a charge for the replacement, €60.00 or more no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Balls!

Was on the AA website and I can do it from there, only 10 euro which is reasonable I suppose. Will do it now and hope its here soon.

Thanks all.

• Advertisement

myshirt wrote: »
    Only issue with this is there's always a charge for the replacement, €60.00 or more no doubt.

You agree to that charge when you take out the policy, don't like the charge get a policy from a company that doesn't charge.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,428 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Or request a copy of it under section 4 of the data protection act. Max charge is €6.35 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

antodeco wrote: »
    Or request a copy of it under section 4 of the data protection act. Max charge is €6.35 ;)

I don't think that would work tbh.

wonski wrote: »
    I don't think that would work tbh.

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Del2005 wrote: »
    You need to contact your insurance in the morning and request a replacement cert. The disc in the window is a waste of space as it proves nothing. Explain that you need to produce and they should be able to post it that day.
    Why is it displayed there along with the nct and tax discs so? Genuine question.

• Advertisement

Why not?

Will you get a new passport for 6.35, or a driving license?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Both of those are more elaborate than a simple page of writing that's easily printed off.

Completely different. The passport office don't keep a record of your passport on file. They keep a copy of your application form and any correspondence relating to it. Your insurance company keep a copy of your certificate. They don't keep a copy of your disc.

You can't request a copy of a disc under DP sec. 4, as you have the original. Same as a passport. You have the original. Your insurance cert that you receive is not a singular original, like a passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Completely different. The passport office don't keep a record of your passport on file. They keep a copy of your application form and any correspondence relating to it. Your insurance company keep a copy of your certificate. They don't keep a copy of your disc.

You can't request a copy of a disc under DP sec. 4, as you have the original. Same as a passport. You have the original. Your insurance cert that you receive is not a singular original, like a passport.

Another thing is the data controller is only obliged to provide the data within forty days from the request so this may be no good to the op

Another thing is the data controller is only obliged to provide the data within forty days from the request so this may be no good to the op

Of course, that's the other thing! If you need it within 10 days it's not an option. Saying that, I used to get requests out within 5 days!

Why is it displayed there along with the nct and tax discs so? Genuine question.

To annoy CiniO.:D

Genuine answer, I've no idea. All the cert shows is a policy number, it doesn't show who or what vehicle is insured on the policy, so it's off no use to anyone which is why when stopped you have to produce the cert in a station.

Jesus. wrote: »
    Both of those are more elaborate than a simple page of writing that's easily printed off.

I am sure they will print it off on white a4 sheet of paper, which could cause a problem at Garda station.

Unless I am missing something, more than happy to be proved wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Del2005 wrote: »
    To annoy CiniO.:D

Genuine answer, I've no idea. All the cert shows is a policy number, it doesn't show who or what vehicle is insured on the policy, so it's off no use to anyone which is why when stopped you have to produce the cert in a station.

I just happen to renew my policy recently, and I just have my insurance disc in front of me (arrived in the post few days ago).
    It states the following:
    -policy number
    -commencement date
    -expiry date
    -insurer name
    -car registration number
    -insurance disc serial number
    -and obviously magical "Road Traffic Act 1961" phrase.

It's a brilliant info, but lacks it's main purpose - it doesn't confirm or deny if person driving a car is insured. Therefore it's totally useless.

Ireland should get rid of this "named drivers" nonsense, and make all policies open drive allowing anyone to drive a vehicle like most countries do.
    Then insurance disc would make sense, as it would confirm that insurance on a car is in place, and driver is covered.

I am sure they will print it off on white a4 sheet of paper, which could cause a problem at Garda station. Unless I am missing something, more than happy to be proved wrong.

They'll print it off on a sheet of paper yes. Unless I am missing something?

Jesus. wrote: »
    They'll print it off on a sheet of paper yes. Unless I am missing something?

I think you know what I meant.

If not, that's fine. I am confident you won't get a copy of your insurance certificate under freedom of information act. At least not the one you want to show at a Garda station as a proof of insurance. That's what I meant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

CiniO wrote: »
    but lacks it's main purpose - it doesn't confirm or deny if person driving a car is insured..

I'm sure mine always do.

If not, that's fine. I am confident you won't get a copy of your insurance certificate under freedom of information act. At least not the one you want to show at a Garda station as a proof of insurance. That's what I meant.

Freedom of information act and data protection act are too very different things...

Freedom of information act and data protection act are too very different things...

Mixed these 2 up in my post... kind of a "typo"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I'm sure mine always do.

Your name is not on the disc so it doesn't confirm who is insured or for what purpose.

I honestly didn't. I was saying it would cost more to get a licence or passport because they are more elaborate than a simple piece of paper that is printed that's all. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

CiniO wrote: »
    I just happen to renew my policy recently, and I just have my insurance disc in front of me (arrived in the post few days ago).
    It states the following:
    -policy number
    -commencement date
    -expiry date
    -insurer name
    -car registration number
    -insurance disc serial number
    -and obviously magical "Road Traffic Act 1961" phrase.

It's a brilliant info, but lacks it's main purpose - it doesn't confirm or deny if person driving a car is insured. Therefore it's totally useless.

Ireland should get rid of this "named drivers" nonsense, and make all policies open drive allowing anyone to drive a vehicle like most countries do.
    Then insurance disc would make sense, as it would confirm that insurance on a car is in place, and driver is covered.

Even a 17 year old, with a learner permit, no experience, and an overly inflated view of their driving abilities.

Genius stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Even a 17 year old, with a learner permit, no experience, and an overly inflated view of their driving abilities.

Genius stuff.

Works in a whole continent, if not two...

an overly inflated view of their driving abilities.

Alas that's not confined to 17 year olds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

It works in oz / nz too so add another continent/sub continent - insure the car (or don't - compulsory third party insurance comes with your registration/tax)

And anyone who's licence allows them (depending on classification of the car) - can then drive it no hassle at all.

Look up red p's & green p's - it's a pretty good system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Cheensbo wrote: »
    It works in oz / nz too so add another continent/sub continent - insure the car (or don't - compulsory third party insurance comes with your registration/tax)

And anyone who's licence allows them (depending on classification of the car) - can then drive it no hassle at all.

Look up red p's & green p's - it's a pretty good system.

Apply that here and premiums would rocket.

Advertisement