Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering a ''Need''

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

quickbeam wrote: »
    I'd agree that the toothpaste manufacturers engineered the "need" for teeth to be white when they're naturally an ivory colour. Also, nothing worse than seeing people whose front teeth are all bright white, and back teeth, which you can see when they smile, are normal-ivory coloured. Or inventing halitosis to sell mouth-wash.

But this "biofilm" you talk of - is that not just plaque? At least if Wikipedia is any indication. Are you saying plaque is actually good or harmless, to have on your teeth? If so, that's a new one on me....

Did a search. Biofilm is wrong. It refers to 'Mucin Plaque' which was advertised as 'Film'.

When Hopkins signed on to promote Pepsodent, he realized he needed to find a trigger for its daily use. He sat down with a pile of dental textbooks. “It was dry reading,” he later wrote in his autobiography. “But in the middle of one book I found a reference to the mucin plaques on teeth, which I afterward called ‘the film.’
    “That gave me an appealing idea. I resolved to advertise this toothpaste as a creator of beauty.”
    Soon, cities were plastered with Pepsodent ads. “Just run your tongue across your teeth,” read one. “You’ll feel a film—that’s what makes your teeth look ‘off color’ and invites decay.”

See below for the reference.
    http://charlesduhigg.com/how-the-history-of-toothpaste-explains-why-you-cant-lose-weight/
    https://buildingpharmabrands.com/2013/05/27/the-ad-that-created-a-habit/

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭DanMurphy

ScumLord wrote: »
    I wonder is there something to calf scutter, if he went to India he'd hear the exact same things, they use cow dung as a cure all too. Maybe there's something in the bacteria? Although I think the Indians dry and cure the dung into a powder.

Maybe it's to do with the cow being a God in India, or some such.
    In the old days if it wasn't the calf scutter cure it was ye olde Goose Grease, a panacea for all skin ills.

Never tried either though. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

DanMurphy wrote: »
    Maybe it's to do with the cow being a God in India, or some such.
    In the old days if it wasn't the calf scutter cure it was ye olde Goose Grease, a panacea for all skin ills.

In India it's very likely to be down to the fact cattle are worshipped. Of course pre-Christianity cattle were held in very high regard here too.

Hindus don't worship cows, that's just a popular misconception. Cattle are considered to have many 'god-like' qualities and are revered in that context but they are not gods. It's probably more accurate to say that harming cows is taboo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

you know those daft keeneze/betterware catalogues that get pegged in the letterbox every now and again? i once saw "artificial flower cleaning spray" in one. people are buying this sh1t!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

DanMurphy wrote: »

Sudocrem or Vaseline were literally the only things that cured every childhood illness and injury.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 736 ✭✭✭chillin117

Sapphire wrote: »
    Sudocrem or Vaseline were literally the only things that cured every childhood illness and injury.
    And flat 7up......

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Sapphire

chillin117 wrote: »
    And flat 7up......

Of course. I was only thinking of external ailments, silly me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

ScumLord wrote: »
    I wonder is there something to calf scutter, if he went to India he'd hear the exact same things, they use cow dung as a cure all too. Maybe there's something in the bacteria? Although I think the Indians dry and cure the dung into a powder.

That was on An Idiot Abroad. They even use the piss to cure baldness. Karl is still bald so I doubt its effectivenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The ad for Dettol Laundry Cleanser.
    Basically it's a product that will kill 99% of germs in your washing machine.
    Nope. Fk off.
    If my washing machine needs a clean, I'll clean it.
    I'm not buying your fancy bottle of cleanser.
    I've never heard such rubbish.

Also, these new Lenor Unstoppables.
    Scenty balls you throw into your washing machine that apparently leave your clothes smelling fresh for 12 weeks.
    Sorry; I put scenty balls in the machine WITH MY SCENTY WASHING POWDER?
    What's the point of that?!
    And anyway, I've taken out freshly washed/dried bedclothes from the hotpress after a few weeks and they've smelt of washing powder. No need for expensive scenty balls.

Scented tampons.
    I'm not going into details here lads, but c'mon, think about.
    Why would you need a tampon to be scented when you consider where it goes and what it's for?
    Scented pantyliners are pointless too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Ironing water.

Feckin' ironing water!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

maudgonner wrote: »
    Ironing water.

Feckin' ironing water!
    Try putting hard water in your iron and see how long it lasts...

If you have a condenser tumble dryer you can use the water from that (filter it into a container first) - also good for topping up car batteries.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

Water wipes: wipes containing 99.9% water; basically a wet tissue so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Water wipes: wipes containing 99.9% water; basically a wet tissue so.

Nothing like a soggy flimsy wet tissue.

Water wipes are really useful.

I once saw the "Gift of Nothing".
    Essentially an empty box you give the person in your life who has everything. What a crock of sh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

fussyonion wrote: »
    The ad for Dettol Laundry Cleanser.
    Basically it's a product that will kill 99% of germs in your washing machine.
    Nope. Fk off.
    If my washing machine needs a clean, I'll clean it.
    I'm not buying your fancy bottle of cleanser.
    I've never heard such rubbish.

Also, these new Lenor Unstoppables.
    Scenty balls you throw into your washing machine that apparently leave your clothes smelling fresh for 12 weeks.
    Sorry; I put scenty balls in the machine WITH MY SCENTY WASHING POWDER?
    What's the point of that?!
    And anyway, I've taken out freshly washed/dried bedclothes from the hotpress after a few weeks and they've smelt of washing powder. No need for expensive scenty balls.

Scented tampons.
    I'm not going into details here lads, but c'mon, think about.
    Why would you need a tampon to be scented when you consider where it goes and what it's for?
    Scented pantyliners are pointless too.

I use the dettol laundry cleanser, if you can't or don't want to wash at a high temperature it does actually make a massive difference. E.g. damp towels, stale gym gear etc. I rarely need it tbh, one bottle lasts a year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

GingerLily wrote: »
    I use the dettol laundry cleanser, if you can't or don't want to wash at a high temperature it does actually make a massive difference. E.g. damp towels, stale gym gear etc. I rarely need it tbh, one bottle lasts a year

Aagh you have just Engineered a Need for me to buy a bottle of the stuff.
    /quickly unfollows thread /

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I am going to say social networking as in a lot of the web based stuff like Facebook, Twitter.

Yep it is handy for some businesses, some causes, but jaysus the amount of shyte on it.

Do I need to know Mary down the road likes some fecking shop or artist.
    Do I need to know that Helen and the kids were at some playzone and what type of cake their 5 year old had for their party.
    Do other people need to know our kids enjoyed the beach and that I got sunburnt again?
    No one needs to know that shyte.

Teenagers now document their fecking lives on it.
    I guess it will come in handy for future employers to sort out the biggest eejits.

It is the biggest waste of bandwidth invented.

How the fook did people manage before it.

Oh and I reckon it was invented for stalkers.

Shure doesn't yer man that knicked the idea look a bit like one. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Calgon has to be worst offender.
    Its meant to prevent limescale build up for your washing machine....A box of 15 costs 8 euro, 50 cent a wash. 5 washes a week it would cost you 130 quid a year, for what is essentially baking soda. A half decent washing machine would cost you around 400 quid... so if you used this stuff for 3 years you have paid for a brand new washing machine.

I remember the likes of Armitage Shanks throwing millions at a ''Need'' The Bidet's never caught on

You've got this the wrong way round. The bidet and other similar devices used all over the world are a way to use water to wash ****e off your arse. They all work brilliantly.

For whatever reason, in our culture when we've got ****e on our arse we get handfuls of paper and rub it around the place. Imagine you got mud on your arm and instead of washing it off with water you rubbed it with dry paper. People would think you were soft in the head.

So toilet paper is the pointless product when a splash of water does the trick much more effectively and with considerably less waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

mansize wrote: »
    Most high end Phones are in the same region price wise as the iPhone.

Anyway- Actimel - there was a product built on exaggerated benefits.

and Jakult!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You've got this the wrong way round. The bidet and other similar devices used all over the world are a way to use water to wash ****e off your arse. They all work brilliantly.

For whatever reason, in our culture when we've got ****e on our arse we get handfuls of paper and rub it around the place. Imagine you got mud on your arm and instead of washing it off with water you rubbed it with dry paper. People would think you were soft in the head.

So toilet paper is the pointless product when a splash of water does the trick much more effectively and with considerably less waste.

Actually then why didn't I see more bidets in Greece ?
    There are after all messages all over the place about not flushing loo roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Whatever they hawk to deal with cracked heels. Never knew that was a thing until that ad. And I still don't think it's a thing. Well a thing one needs to worry about, at any rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Elliott S wrote: »
    Whatever they hawk to deal with cracked heels. Never knew that was a thing until that ad. And I still don't think it's a thing. Well a thing one needs to worry about, at any rate.

Most of the heel creams don't work but Flexitol really does.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Pavee Point is a Service

Still fits the OP requirement of Solutions for problems that don't exist,

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

"Sandwich Thin" bread started appearing in the shops a couple of years ago, and annoyed me immediately. It's bread that's maybe a little different, sliced a little thinner... at least twice the price per kilo. Why?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

bnt wrote: »
    "Sandwich Thin" bread started appearing in the shops a couple of years ago, and annoyed me immediately. It's bread that's maybe a little different, sliced a little thinner... at least twice the price per kilo. Why?

Ironically, the thick cut is also more expensive than the regular stuff. Remarkable the things we'll part with our cash for...

Yeah, my fella was going to buy me a footsie blanket and I was like "Er, I'm not sure I need that...".

fussyonion wrote: »
    Most of the heel creams don't work but Flexitol really does.

Flexitol is great stuff! And highlights that regular moisturiser works fine on cracked heels.

Even with water, you'd still need to wipe with toilet paper. Unless you use your fingers and that's just spreading germs. And a bidet still isn't needed. There is, well, natural wetness down there that you can utilise in conjunction with loo roll to get thing clean down there. No defence of bidets has ever convinced me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Elliott S wrote: »
    Even with water, you'd still need to wipe with toilet paper. Unless you use your fingers and that's just spreading germs. And a bidet still isn't needed. There is, well, natural wetness down there that you can utilise in conjunction with loo roll to get thing clean down there. No defence of bidets has ever convinced me.

Also, at the if the day, it's an arsehole. You don't have to be able to eat off it.

Advertisement