Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tinder

Options
  • 16-07-2016 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭

I've recently joined tinder and have been getting plenty of matches and getting on good guns with a few different ladies. My understanding was it's just basically a good place to get the ride but have heard from others now that some people go on it in the hope of real relationships?

Just kind of want the heads up don't really want to meet up with a girl and have them thinking i'm interested in anything other than some fun. I could just be a bit of a bastard and say nothing until afterwards but trying to be fair.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I thought most people went on it to reaffirm how good looking they were and not go out on dates ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

The Ride is the true foundation of all real relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

I thought most people went on it to reaffirm how good looking they were and not go out on dates ?

Now that wouldn't be fair at all :mad:

Fleawuss wrote: »
    The Ride is the true foundation of all real relationships.

Compromise is. A horrible thing it is too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I've recently joined tinder and have been getting plenty of matches and getting on good guns with a few different ladies.

Enough of the posturing, Pat.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    Enough of the posturing, Pat.

It's easy to get plenty of matches when you swipe right constantly until you run out of swipes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭GuessWhoEh

I think Tinder is there for those who really want to try for a relationship. I'm sure if they stuck on it long enough and chatted to someone for a while it works. I know friends who are in long term relationships after meeting on Tinder. I just always seem to get landed with the ones who have emotional problems and I'm left trying to kindly tell them to leave me alone after the first date never goes well. Just recently, I told a person it wasn't going to work as I didn't feel anything after meeting up and everyday this week I've been getting endless messages between the lines of "I at the hint and I'll leave you alone" to "I honestly don't get why we can't be friends". I didn't reply back as I taught I was pretty clear in saying we had a good night after meeting up but I don't think it's going to go anywhere. You've to meet a few "strange" ones I guess before you meet someone you like

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

GuessWhoEh wrote: »
    You've to meet a few "strange" ones I guess before you meet someone you like

You really don't :pac:

This should help -

How to block someone on Tinder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭GuessWhoEh

You really don't :pac:

This should help -

How to block someone on Tinder

The ones that seem grand over text then you meet them. That's what I mean by strange ones. Obviously I block them after

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

You just need to behave stranger or weirder than your date , Pat.

Maybe arrive on the date with your Mother or dressed as a priest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

I prefer grindr myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

I prefer grindr myself.

Such a f...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭gifted

I think I read in a ross o carroll book that Tinder was just a word used to describe takeaway sex...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I don't know why it has a reputation for being a hook up app for sex. The women on it around my age anyway seem to be looking for relationships. It's handy for meeting people now and then, just don't put all your eggs in the tinder basket and live your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

There are definitely people who are just on it for the ride, some of which are quite up front about that fact. Have used it previously my self, and have had several first dates from it, some of which extended to second and third dates, and one where I seen the person for a few months.

Unfortunately if you live in a small town or limited to a regional area options can be limited, and you can find your self going through potential matches quite quickly. Unless that is you are on it just for the ride, and are swiping on a Saturday night in the local pub or night club where potential matches can leap up due to people people just in town for weekend.

A few of us did try this out, and put it to the test. I was only ever on it to meet someone, when swiping normally in Sligo, say in the week, it might take a few days to get several matches. At the weekend, matches might occur more quickly and after chatting, they are just there for weekend. Messed about on it one Saturday night in Galway, Dublin, and London, with a few mates who were also on it, with honestly no intention of chatting as not on it for the ride, just to see what happend, dropped searching to within 1km, and age within a few years, and was getting several matches with minutes of swiping.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

When I first landed in Thailand I joined up and was getting matches with every swipe, was pretty depressing (only staying in one place a few days!). It seems here to be about 85% friendship/relationship, 15% hook up. If even. Has been handy to get local knowledge of a place though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

TPD wrote: »
    When I first landed in Thailand I joined up and was getting matches with every swipe, was pretty depressing (only staying in one place a few days!). It seems here to be about 85% friendship/relationship, 15% hook up. If even. Has been handy to get local knowledge of a place though!

Well being white in Thailand looking for girls is probably the equivalent of Lionel Messi playing in Sunday League football in the Phoenix Park, I wouldn't read into it too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Well being white in Thailand looking for girls is probably the equivalent of Lionel Messi playing in Sunday League football in the Phoenix Park, I wouldn't read into it too much.

Ah don't be mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I feckin hate tinder. I've used it in Dublin and over here in Toronto and I find it just attracts a certain kind of person, and that's not what I'm looking for.

I'm in a cycle of deleting the app, getting drunk and reinstalling it to go on a tinder binge, then deleting it again once I sober up.

I feckin hate tinder. I've used it in Dublin and over here in Toronto and I find it just attracts a certain kind of person, and that's not what I'm looking for.

I'm in a cycle of deleting the app, getting drunk and reinstalling it to go on a tinder binge, then deleting it again once I sober up.

I used to do that with POF and Okcupid. Go out and get drunk, feel sorry for myself, chat to ALL the men online, wake up with sense and deactivate accounts again :p

I've always maintained that online dating sites serves a purpose and can be very successful. You just need a thick skin and healthy self-esteem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I used to do that with POF and Okcupid. Go out and get drunk, feel sorry for myself, chat to ALL the men online, wake up with sense and deactivate accounts again :p

I've always maintained that online dating sites serves a purpose and can be very successful. You just need a thick skin and healthy self-esteem.

I have neither of the above so online dating and me are not a good mix :p

I have neither of the above so online dating and me are not a good mix :p

I only sometimes have the above :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

How do you know he's white? Your post comes off as a bit jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Huge amount of anger and bitterness being projected on to the other person. Sort your shít out before you start dating.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Just be upfront early on about what you're after and you'll be grand. Tinder has, unlike real life interactions, very few silly etiquettes that prevent people from being upfront - put it in your profile, just looking for a bit of craic. You'll still get plenty of interest, but it's more likely to come from the right kind of woman for you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Seems to be generational in my neck of the woods. Younger folks are more likely out for a hookup, older folks are looking for something longer term (but if a good hook-up comes along in the meantime, why not?). In all fairness, though, is that really much different from life anywhere else? Profiles did not unusually come with "Not looking to hook up" written on them.

I met my fiancée on the system. Wasn't having much luck in the usual places (dating sites, business events, etc), and apparently neither was she. What had we to lose?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Tinder only works if yous are good looking tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

ah OP, you're overthinking it. Fill out your profile with "Just looking for the roide", then you won't have to worry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

It has a better range of people on it than OKCupid, where the men are all bearded hipsters with no personality and the women are all pseudo-intellectuals with an attitude problem.

Atleast on tinder you can chat to a full-time mad bastard with a machete and a bottle of buckfast in his profile pic or the girl who lost all ( I mean ALL) her toes in a farm accident. Legends both of them, but not my type.

Then there's grindr, where you are prey...

Advertisement